Wildcraft South Africa

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
skeeg11

Wildcraft South Africa

Post by skeeg11 »

Just got done watching Wildcraft South Africa in which Some Spyderco knives were actually used in processing wild game (Kudu). Dunno if the Spyderco knives were furnished as Spyderco was an ad sponser or if they were actually purchased by the trackers but well done Spyderco.
The Meat man

Re: Wildcraft South Africa

Post by The Meat man »

That's cool.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Could you see what they were using? I'm guessing they were folders?
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Cambertree wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:02 pm
One tracker was using a Subvert and I think the other was using a Military. One of the PH's quickly pulled out a Spyderco, but couldn't quite be certain which model it was so brief. Impala maybe? Another was used in a sharpening sequence but don't know which model. It was an older model not in the current lineup.

Perhaps this question should be directed to Sal or Taz or the advertising dept. as they would most likely have the answer. SPYDIE FANS WANT TO KNOW. :)
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

skeeg11 wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:18 pm
Cambertree wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:02 pm
One tracker was using a Subvert and I think the other was using a Military. One of the PH's quickly pulled out a Spyderco, but couldn't quite be certain which model it was so brief. Impala maybe? Another was used in a sharpening sequence but don't know which model. It was an older model not in the current lineup.

Perhaps this question should be directed to Sal or Taz or the advertising dept. as they would most likely have the answer. SPYDIE FANS WANT TO KNOW. :)
Interesting, thanks. I could see how the blade shape of the Subvert would work quite well for field dressing large game.

I'd be interested to know more too if Taz or Sal are around. :)
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Skeeg,

South Africa was our first export customer. Back when we were just making sharpeners. ('78/'79) It was a soldier that was importing them into South Africa. The he just disappeared. Couldn't find him. Then Chris Reeve was our South Africa distributor until he came to the US. Then Ramrod became our distributor in South Africa and they've been working with us ever since. We've been involved with and contributing to fighting poaching of elephants.

Gail, Eric and I have spent some time in Southern Africa, especially in the bush. Beautiful place.

sal
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

sal wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:53 pm
Hi Skeeg,

South Africa was our first export customer. Back when we were just making sharpeners. ('78/'79) It was a soldier that was importing them into South Africa. The he just disappeared. Couldn't find him. Then Chris Reeve was our South Africa distributor until he came to the US. Then Ramrod became our distributor in South Africa and they've been working with us ever since. We've been involved with and contributing to fighting poaching of elephants.

Gail, Eric and I have spent some time in Southern Africa, especially in the bush. Beautiful place.

sal
Hi Sal---

I greatly admire your contributions to issues that are near and dear to your heart. No lip service and fanfare but it's nice to see you and your company put your money where your mouth is so to speak. Kudos!!! One of many reasons I'm willing to pay a premium for some of your upscale products.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I had no idea Chris Reeve used to be a Spyderco distributor. Super cool. :)
Joyce Laituri

Post by Joyce Laituri »

Hello everyone. Yes, Spyderco supplied the knives for the hunt.

Joyce
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Hey, look who it is!

Don't see that name too often. I'm gonna have to go get a lotto ticket, now.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx Joyce.

sal
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Joyce Laituri wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:15 pm
Hello everyone. Yes, Spyderco supplied the knives for the hunt.

Joyce
Hi Joyce---

Thanks for the confirmation. The look on the face of the tracker using the Subvert was precious. A look of wonderment and joy of discovery..........priceless.

In the sequence where a client was discussing the importance of greasing the bolt of his rifle, the PH pulled a Spyderco out of his pocket but I couldn't quite make out the model. Can you tell us which model it was?