Oh Caribbean where art thou?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
george.hill11c

Oh Caribbean where art thou?

Post by george.hill11c »

I try to buy most of my spydies directly from the Golden Kingdom and I haven't seen either version of the Caribbean in stock in at least a year, is there a CQI update happening? I know it wasn't that popular but hopefully they aren't discontinuing it
Delica 4 vanilla, Para 3 LW Spy27, Native 5 REX 45, DF2 salt, Spydiechef, Endura 4 Teal, Manix 2 REX 45, PM2 St. Nick's, and a PM2 Black DLC. Plus a Manix 2 XL BHQ when that decides to show up
elena86

Re: Oh Caribbean where art thou?

Post by elena86 »

Don't get me started ... I am so frustrated myself :( I am so looking forward to purchase a leafy one :eek: Bring 'em before I cave and spend my money on rubbish !
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Apparently there IS a CQI thing going on, the hardware is being changed to a coated version, and who knows what else.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
RandomNick

Post by RandomNick »

It's good to know I'm not the only one waiting impatiently for the Caribbean to be restocked.
prsman

Post by prsman »

Can’t wait. I will be definitely purchasing one!
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

It's such an amazing package.

Some people don't like that it has a somewhat soft detent. Based on the detent on my wife's Watu, the CQI may fix that particular complaint.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I'm hoping we see some soon!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Caribbean is back!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Dazen wrote:Caribbean is back!
Yup, for a few days now. Sirens too. Got a serrated leaf shape in the mail. Curious to see if anything has been changed.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Yep, 3 versions back in stock at DLT:

https://www.dlttrading.com/searchresults.html
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
sal

Post by sal »

We had some issues with galvanic reaction and had to do some CQI experimenting.

sal
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

sal wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:51 pm
We had some issues with galvanic reaction and had to do some CQI experimenting.

sal
i see it’s back in stock on the spyderco website. are these the latest cqi version?
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

I wanted to compare the PE leaf blade to the SE and see which I like best for edc, so when I saw them in stock again I jumped. The new PE one arrived yesterday, and it is definitely a CQI version, although it is dated GS (July 2019). The changes I can see (without taking it apart):

-screws and standoffs are black coated
-the g10 inside the scales around the liners is black rather than yellow
-the ridge texturing is different. The black ridges are thicker, and therefore closer together.

- Julia

VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

JuPaul wrote: I wanted to compare the PE leaf blade to the SE and see which I like best for edc, so when I saw them in stock again I jumped. The new PE one arrived yesterday, and it is definitely a CQI version, although it is dated GS (July 2019). The changes I can see (without taking it apart):

-the ridge texturing is different. The black ridges are thicker, and therefore closer together.

So no pivot change?
I also have a new one coming so I cant wait to compare it.
Something Im curious about is the clip. I see pics online of two different clip colors. A light one and a dark one.

I also think the ridge texturing might just vary alot depending on the tooling and how they mill that out. Maybe they changed that? Im not sure but there is definitely variation. My old caribbean has much thinner ridges on the bottom half of the backside scale compared to the front.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

VooDooChild wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:39 am
JuPaul wrote: I wanted to compare the PE leaf blade to the SE and see which I like best for edc, so when I saw them in stock again I jumped. The new PE one arrived yesterday, and it is definitely a CQI version, although it is dated GS (July 2019). The changes I can see (without taking it apart):

So no pivot change?
I also have a new one coming so I cant wait to compare it.
Something Im curious about is the clip. I see pics online of two different clip colors. A light one and a dark one.

I also think the ridge texturing might just vary alot depending on the tooling and how they mill that out. Maybe they changed that? Im not sure but there is definitely variation. My old caribbean has much thinner ridges on the bottom half of the backside scale compared to the front.
Interesting. Now that you mention it, there does appear to be slight variation in thickness of the ridges between the two scales on both models. But there is a BIG difference in thickness btw the cqi one and the older one. I'm curious to see if that's the case with all the newer ones.

Both my clips are an identical matte finish ti.

From the outside, I can't see any changes to the pivot beyond the black screws. The washers look the same, etc.

And just for the sake of comparison, my SE model is dated FR - June 2018.
- Julia

ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i need the caribbean in my life. i like the slightly updated look. how is the detent? does it feel the same?
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

ladybug93 wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:26 am
i need the caribbean in my life. i like the slightly updated look. how is the detent? does it feel the same?
The detent feels the same to me. I can pop both open with a firm shake, but it's not weak enough that I'm concerned it'll open in my pocket.
- Julia

curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Can't wait for mine to come in! Think I'll try to nab a plain edge sheepsfoot and a serrated sheepsfoot...
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

JuPaul wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:07 am
I wanted to compare the PE leaf blade to the SE and see which I like best for edc, so when I saw them in stock again I jumped. The new PE one arrived yesterday, and it is definitely a CQI version, although it is dated GS (July 2019). The changes I can see (without taking it apart):

In the third picture, you can see that the lockbar tab has been shaped/chamfered a bit.

The liners are noticeably smoother(to my eye) in that picture, aswell.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

My plain edge sheepsfoot CQI came in! It's better than ever!