Watu - aftermarket scales?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bbturbodad

Re: Watu - aftermarket scales?

Post by bbturbodad »

Wow the high gloss finish looks great!

I put a fresh coat of wax/polish on mine this morning. :)
-Turbo
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I got email confirmation last night that mine have shipped. I'm sooo pumped!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:39 am

I´d be so too... those scales are amazing and fit the style of the Watu perfectly imho..

But tbh: I was not aware till now that you have a Watu yourself:
If you don´t mind I´d really be interested how it compares to the Manix in your use (cause, well, you really USE your knives as I know ;) ).
Yes, I know, Manix and Watu are very different knives, but offer about the same length of cutting edge.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:25 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:

I´d be so too... those scales are amazing and fit the style of the Watu perfectly imho..

If you don´t mind I´d really be interested how it compares to the Manix in your use (cause, well, you really USE your knives as I know ;) ).
Yes, I know, Manix and Watu are very different knives, but offer about the same length of cutting edge.
I was one of the two lucky/unlucky ones from the calendar contest. My image didn't fit the specs and had to be replaced by someone elses :o But, Spyderco was kind enough to still send me the Watu as the prize for "winning" a spot :)

I'm honestly not sure if I will be using this knife at work. Maybe right now with the CF scales, but highly unlikely once these scales arrive. I'll carry it at work a few times to show a few people that would be interested in seeing it, but I don't think I'll be cutting all the junk I get into, especially with these new scales! I'd hate to damage them. It will likely be a light cutting, classy carry knife for me. Which is cool, because I really don't have many knives that fill that niche. You would definitely love the blade on this knife though, VERY THIN and slicey and good amount of cutting edge for the size of it.

-Rick
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:36 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:25 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:

I was one of the two lucky/unlucky ones from the calendar contest. My image didn't fit the specs and had to be replaced by someone elses :o But, Spyderco was kind enough to still send me the Watu as the prize for "winning" a spot :)

I'm honestly not sure if I will be using this knife at work. Maybe right now with the CF scales, but highly unlikely once these scales arrive. I'll carry it at work a few times to show a few people that would be interested in seeing it, but I don't think I'll be cutting all the junk I get into, especially with these new scales! I'd hate to damage them. It will likely be a light cutting, classy carry knife for me. Which is cool, because I really don't have many knives that fill that niche. You would definitely love the blade on this knife though, VERY THIN and slicey and good amount of cutting edge for the size of it.
Glad you still got the knife, your pic really deserved it! (Though it was "just" my second favorite among the ones you let us vote on) :)

/ Yes, I get that.. I know you are a real knife user, butkeeping such a folder as a more classy option is totally understandable.

Though the Watu must be a great work knife / slicer. too.. thin Delica blade stock, Manix cutting edge length.. :rolleyes:

Somehow this thing in a more budget-, beater version would have some appeal... lets say FRN and S30V / VG10 ?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Lumpy

Post by Lumpy »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:46 am
Somehow this thing in a more budget-, beater version would have some appeal... lets say FRN and S30V / VG10 ?
This is a great idea! I put some trifect scales on my watu so now it’s designated for “fancy man" use, but everything about the knife is just great for working as well. I’d buy second FRN/VG10 watu in a heartbeat.
sal

Post by sal »

I'm carrying one with Koa scales and a "bug" inlay, but I'm using it as a work knife. Cut up a bunch of cardboard today. Sure does slice cardboard well.

sal
Aldiggi23

Post by Aldiggi23 »

sal wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:43 pm
I'm carrying one with Koa scales and a "bug" inlay, but I'm using it as a work knife. Cut up a bunch of cardboard today. Sure does slice cardboard well.

sal
This knife is definitely a slicer. Love mine.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Well mine came in today, and they will be going back if possible. Very disappointed, they look nothing like everyone elses Koa scales. Mine vary from lighter to darker with prominent, almost white colored streaks in between colors.

The scales look like a perfect fit, and very well done...the grain/finish just aren't on par from what I've seen in this thread so far :(

-Rick
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:15 pm
Well mine came in today, and they will be going back if possible. Very disappointed, they look nothing like everyone elses Koa scales. Mine vary from lighter to darker with prominent, almost white colored streaks in between colors.

The scales look like a perfect fit, and very well done...the grain/finish just aren't on par from what I've seen in this thread so far :(
That's a bummer!

When I first received mine I gave them a few generous coats of oil (living on the water I have to keep all wood around the house well treated) and now use a wood wax/polish to make them pop. Most of the pics I posted in this thread were after treatment and in flattering light. Sorry if my pics were misleading. :(
Last edited by bbturbodad on Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Turbo
foofie

Post by foofie »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Very disappointed, they look nothing like everyone elses Koa scales. Mine vary from lighter to darker with prominent, almost white colored streaks in between colors.
Pics?
This is definitely a bummer. With the Pakkawood delica, there was all sorts of grain variation. With natural wood, the variation is even greater.
I wonder if this is part of the reason that Spyderco chooses not to do much with wood? Eagerly awaiting the new chaparral so we will see.
TrifectCustomShop

Post by TrifectCustomShop »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:23 pm
Gorgeous!

A whole Watu case at SFO? I’d love to see a pic!
I would too!! :)
TrifectCustomShop

Post by TrifectCustomShop »

TkoK83Spy wrote:

Man, I am sorry that you are disappointed in the scales. Woodworkers constantly deal with a limited supply of blanks as well as variance in grain patterns and color, it is not 100% guaranteed that you will be receiving the exact grain that is in the pictures, unless you are purchasing the exact set pictured. Koa can be a dark tan/amber or a blonde almost white color. If I could engineer wood I would! But it is grown in nature so no two scales are identical. Please email me about your problems with the cosmetic aspect of your scales and what you were looking for and I will take care of you. I do ask you send the scales back so they can find a new home.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

I swapped my scales this morning. This turned out to be the most aggravating swap I’ve ever done, so I’ll suggest a couple things that might save you some frustration.

I believe someone else may have mentioned there’s a lot more going on inside than meets the eye. My first attempt was to leave everything as much in tact as possible. So I removed and swapped the scales with the blade and liners staying together.

I believe the mistake I made was tightening one side of the pivot too much. Make sure you alternate sides evenly! The pivot barrel got pulled to one side where the other screw wouldn’t catch. This resulted in complete disassembly (more than once) as the barrel would not move back to center no matter what I tried.

As part of the ensuing frustration, as many parts have to be aligned including the d-shaped standoffs, the stop pin got caught on the liner. When I was squeezing things together again, the pin pushed through and split the clip side scale. :( The scales are very thin so be careful.

I have it clamped down with some wood glue in an attempt to fix the split. Ugh. :o

Anyway, here’s the beautiful wood in spite of my utterly disappointing butchery! The chatoyance really changes depending on the light.

- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

TrifectCustomShop wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:40 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:

Man, I am sorry that you are disappointed in the scales. Woodworkers constantly deal with a limited supply of blanks as well as variance in grain patterns and color, it is not 100% guaranteed that you will be receiving the exact grain that is in the pictures, unless you are purchasing the exact set pictured. Koa can be a dark tan/amber or a blonde almost white color. If I could engineer wood I would! But it is grown in nature so no two scales are identical. Please email me about your problems with the cosmetic aspect of your scales and what you were looking for and I will take care of you. I do ask you send the scales back so they can find a new home.
Hi Chris,

I don't blame you at all!! I understand how it works, I was just surprised to see the mix of lighter colors compared to the others I've seen posted. But, after looking at them a lot yesterday and today, seeing how they look different at different angles...I'm going to keep them. They've grown on me and I actually like that they seem a bit more unique! I just finished installing them, took all of 10 minutes. Both are a perfect fit. Job well done!!

I will post some pics tomorrow.

-Rick
sal

Post by sal »

TrifectCustomShop wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:34 am
ChrisinHove wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:23 pm
Gorgeous!

A whole Watu case at SFO? I’d love to see a pic!
I would too!! :)
Not a whole showcase. Just a section.

sal
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I wish I could have taken these in natural light, but it's been downpouring here all day today. As you can see, depending on the angle you look at the scales, the appearance really tends to vary. But, like I said...I think I like that unique trait, it's like a hologram.

Resized_20201019_132657.jpeg
Resized_20201019_132720.jpeg
Resized_20201019_132642.jpeg
Resized_20201019_132624.jpeg

-Rick
Holland

Post by Holland »

Those look awesome!

I need a Watu so bad... it will fit in nicely with my GB2 and Chaparral :D
20201010_004629_copy_3024x1701.jpg
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
wheats

Post by wheats »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:42 am
I wish I could have taken these in natural light, but it's been downpouring here all day today. As you can see, depending on the angle you look at the scales, the appearance really tends to vary. But, like I said...I think I like that unique trait, it's like a hologram.

Love those! He actually posted a picture of those or similar and I like them better than some of the other patterns
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:42 am

I'm drooling over these! Although all of these wooden scales are beautiful, I do really like the ones that retain the holes. I think it better maintains the original character of the design.

Edit to add: I just saw above that you didn't love the look of these at first. Pm me if you still feel that way - I think the fade is beautiful.
Last edited by JuPaul on Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.