Shaman Rex45 Sprint - General Discussion & Support thread - (not alerts)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JMM

Re: Shaman Rex45 Sprint - General Discussion & Support thread - (not alerts)

Post by JMM »

SteveMidwest wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:25 pm
JMM wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:18 pm
'Tis a great addition to the family...

:)
A very nice lineup, JMM!
Thank you for sharing this picture with us. :spyder:

I just wish you would have backed the camera up some. The Cruwear/Micarta on the far-right. Got cut-off. We can't see it in this picture. :D
:p Yeah, it's on my list to get, I was more interested in getting all the steels available before getting all the models available... I like the DLC CruWear, but honestly about 90% of my Shaman pocket time is either the TreeRex, 4V, or S90V. :)

Cheers,

John
Kesson

Post by Kesson »

My Rex45 Shaman is so smooth and easy flipping strait out of the box. Makes me realize how stiff my older s30v version is. It's nowhere near as easy to flick open and I've been trying to break it in for months. Must be something up with it. It drops shut and has good centering but it's so stiff to flip open.
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

It's time to get this thread off of page #4! :D

How about some Burnt Orange Canvas Micarta!
As more time passes. The more I like to stick with Factory colors. :spyder:
I almost ordered a set in a different color. I now think, that would have been a shame.

I do love Canvas Micarta, and will be trying to match Factory colors as much as possible, going forward.

Burnt Orange Canvas Micarta for Rex 45
Green Canvas Micarta for K390
Blurple Canvas Micarta for S110V :eek:
Brown Canvas Micarta for 10V
Gray Canvas Micarta for Maxamet
Red Canvas Micarta for 4V
Carbon Fiber for S90V ;)
etc.

This first picture, is the raw scales. Right out of the package. I then took a 3/4" x 7" long silicone carbide emery board (100/180 Grit), and used the 180g side to knock-down all of the sharp edges, and radius the top edges of the scales a bit more (while wearing latex gloves).

Then, I wiped them down with food grade mineral oil. To get a nice base-coat down. So that later, they will be much easier to clean dirt and hand-oils off of. This is so important, in keeping them clean. If dirt, grease, or nasty stinky hand oils are allowed to get into the fibers first. A tear-down and bleach scrub would be needed later. This way, when they do get a bit dirty later. I just dab some mineral oil on a rag, and wipe all of the dirt away. Even folding the oil rage over, and pulling it under the pocket-clip a couple of times. To keep things looking even. :)

Brian, from Sharp Dressed Knives made these for me. I could not be happier!
Last edited by SteveMidwest on Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Those look great!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:16 pm
Those look great!

Thank you, curlyhairedboy!

I sure do love it. :p

I think now, that I'm going to swap out the clip though. To another one just like it, but with a satin finish.
I'll move this stonewashed clip, over to the S30V stonewashed version.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I was looking at those exact scales just the other day, but decided the smooth G10 burnt orange was different enough in color from the G10 Manix and PM2 that I already have. Save a little cash! Those do look good though. I did the same mineral oil treatment to my terotuf scales and love the look!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:31 pm
I was looking at those exact scales just the other day, but decided the smooth G10 burnt orange was different enough in color from the G10 Manix and PM2 that I already have. Save a little cash! Those do look good though. I did the same mineral oil treatment to my terotuf scales and love the look!

Thank you, TkoK83Spy. :)

Yes, and I see now that he is sold out of this color. I talked him into buying some of this Burnt Orange Micarta Stock, back in the first week of June. Before I even had my knife here yet. It must have sounded good to him too, because he went ahead and did it. Now he's sold out, but I'm sure if anyone here who comes across this thread later. Could send him a message, asking for him to build more. If they are really interested in a pair. I have no idea how many sets he ended up making, on his maiden run of this color.

I have not bought a set of Fireside Company TeroTuf scales, yet. I have been shopping for some there, but their Stock is pretty much wiped out right now. I'll send them an email next week though. Letting them know what I'm looking for. It'll be a few weeks wait. I want a set in this color > https://www.instagram.com/p/CAl1Pi6DgNq/ for my 10V PM 2, and my Manix 2 M390. :spyder:
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

SteveMidwest wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:53 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:31 pm

Thank you, TkoK83Spy. :)

Yes, and I see now that he is sold out of this color. I talked him into buying some of this Burnt Orange Micarta Stock, back in the first week of June. Before I even had my knife here yet. It must have sounded good to him too, because he went ahead and did it. Now he's sold out, but I'm sure if anyone here who comes across this thread later. Could send him a message, asking for him to build more. If they are really interested in a pair. I have no idea how many sets he ended up making, on his maiden run of this color.

I have not bought a set of Fireside Company TeroTuf scales, yet. I have been shopping for some there, but their Stock is pretty much wiped out right now. I'll send them an email next week though. Letting them know what I'm looking for. It'll be a few weeks wait. I want a set in this color > https://www.instagram.com/p/CAl1Pi6DgNq/ for my 10V PM 2, and my Manix 2 M390. :spyder:
Lucky for my bank account that those are sold out! They are awesome! I really like the idea of keeping your micarta true to the knife's original color - great thinking.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

Thank you, JuPaul.

I went in, thinking I was going to buy a set of Camo scales, with layers of green, black and tan, but they were out of stock. So I sent him a quick message. Asking him if he knew yet, when he would have some more available. He replied, that the supplier of that material had just contacted him, and that it was no longer available.

So, I said that I would give it some more thought, as to what my next choice would be, and I'd get back to him. Once I've decided.
Then, right at the end of that message, and before I hit the send button. My head already going over dozens of color options. I typed - "You know what would be nice. Some Burnt Orange Canvas Micarta." - and then I hit the send button.

A few minutes later. I thought I would do a quick Google search. To see if there was even such a thing? I know that I had never seen nor heard of it before. And Wow! Was I happy to see several examples. This was the first one I saw > https://bit.ly/2VUqgQ0

So I contacted my Micarta Dealer, and they had stock. So I knew then at least, that it was not completely rare. I then sent Sharp Dressed Knives (Brian) another message. Saying "You know what. I really do want a set in Burnt Orange Canvas Micarta!" :D
Can we make this happen!
marshmallow

Post by marshmallow »

Anyone buy custom scales from Aramis Akhmedov? He makes some really awesome carbon fiber scales for Shamans.
"stay puft."
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

marshmallow wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:04 am
Anyone buy custom scales from Aramis Akhmedov? He makes some really awesome carbon fiber scales for Shamans.
I've never bought any myself, but his scales are really beautiful. I've only heard good things about them.
- Julia

SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

marshmallow wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:04 am

Yes marshmallow. I have purchased a couple of sets of scales from Aramis Akhmedov. Both times, a perfect transaction.

The last set I bought from him, was a couple of years ago. For my OG 560 Freek (Knife in the middle).
Gray G10, with a Carbon Fiber back-spacer.

SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

I thought I'd share a picture I took today, of my two Micarta Shamans.
One is my recent Burnt Orange Canvas Micarta Rex 45, and the other one is Spyderco's own Canvas Micarta. Also sporting a Rex 45 blade. With about 5 months of EDC rotation use on it.

Why only about 5 months in my rotation you may ask? Because I bought the Cruwear/Micarta Shaman last Fall (about 8 months ago), but left it new in the box, until the Rex 45/Rosewood showed up. Which was about 5 months ago now. I then swapped blades, and sold off that Cruwear/Rosewood knife.

JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

SteveMidwest wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:29 pm
I thought I'd share a picture I took today, of my two Micarta Shamans.
One is my recent Burnt Orange Canvas Micarta Rex 45, and the other one is Spyderco's own Canvas Micarta. Also sporting a Rex 45 blade. With about 5 months of EDC rotation use on it.

Why only about 5 months in my rotation you may ask? Because I bought the Cruwear/Micarta Shaman last Fall (about 8 months ago), but left it new in the box, until the Rex 45/Rosewood showed up. Which was about 5 months ago now. I then swapped blades, and sold off that Cruwear/Rosewood knife.

Love that orange micarta! How do you feel about the different contouring btw the two?
- Julia

SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

I do love both. I'd have to give the win (feel) to the Spyderco scales though. (Except for all of the extra clip mounting holes)
The Spyderco, easily feels smaller in the hand. Not that I need, want, or look for that. It's just the best way to describe it.

I find that when fidgeting with it from time to time in my hand (Spyderco scales). That I roll it in my hand sometimes. I have not found that to also be the case, with this new set. But it's only been a few days with them now.

I mentioned earlier, that when I got the SDK scales. I took a large silicone carbide emery file (180 grit), and spent about 45 minutes on the scales. Rounding that top contour more. To get closer to the Spyderco radius. This is tough stuff! I didn't get all of the way there of course, as you can see.

SDK says: "The edges have been chamfered instead of rounded, for a more substantial feel."
Which is true. My guess as to why they did this though. Is either he does not have the tooling to make that edge, or, it's extremely hard to do. Passing over 3 hole pockets on each side. Maybe the rejection rate was too high? The hole pockets could more easily chip-out, during that radius Milling pass.
Last edited by SteveMidwest on Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

Here is the picture of the other side(s).

The Spyderco scales, are due for a little cleaning. :p

I've tested that the top blade, and it is 67.2 HRC.

EngDevGr3

Post by EngDevGr3 »

The heat treat on the rex 45 seems to be very consistent across the board. I tested my orange Shaman today and it was 67.3.
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

EngDevGr3 wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:52 pm
The heat treat on the rex 45 seems to be very consistent across the board. I tested my orange Shaman today and it was 67.3.

That's great to hear, EngDevGr3. About your HRC number. I've talked to a couple of friends of mine, who got nearly identical HRC numbers as ours. Only a 0.1 variation, between all four of us.

What was the Date code on your box though, of that knife tested?
The reason I ask, is because this burnt orange G-10 batch of Shamans. Was made at two different times. Part of them were run last December, and part of them were run this May.
As far as I know right now. No 'ET' date coded Shamans have been HRC tested yet.

I bought three of these knives, with one of them being for an overseas friend. He was so excited to get it!
Otherwise, I may not have ever found this out. It's a wonder I even noticed. If I hadn't stacked the boxes up on my desk, getting ready to ship the one out. I would have never seen it.

My first guess is, that they ran extra blades through. When they did the Rosewood/Rex 45 blades for Knife Center. My second guess would be (would have been), that they did, or were planning to run. 3000 of these. But with keeping my eye close on the sale of this model. I see no evidence that happened.

The top box is the Rosewood/Rex 45. KS = November 2019
Second box down (burnt orange G-10). LS = December 2019
Third box down (burnt orange G-10). LS = December 2019
The Fourth box down (burnt orange G-10). ET = May 2020

EngDevGr3

Post by EngDevGr3 »

Hello SteveMidwest. Mine is also from the LS batch. I was suprised to see the LS date code as well. I have one from the ET run , but I haven't opened it yet. If I decide to keep the ET Shaman I will test it as well.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

EngDevGr3 wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:51 am
Hello SteveMidwest. Mine is also from the LS batch. I was suprised to see the LS date code as well. I have one from the ET run , but I haven't opened it yet. If I decide to keep the ET Shaman I will test it as well.
I bet your guess about running most of the rex45 blades at once is correct, since both my Rosewood and my g10 rex45 Shamans have the LS date code.
- Julia