Shaman Rex45 Sprint - General Discussion & Support thread - (not alerts)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JMM
Member
Posts: 951
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:39 pm
Location: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Shaman Rex45 Sprint - General Discussion & Support thread - (not alerts)

Postby JMM » Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:12 pm

How about we move the general discussion / support conversations off of the Alert thread over to this thread... I think those who are subscribed to the alerts thread will fair better in finding/getting one...

Cheers,

John

samdasnake
Member
Posts: 324
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:04 am
Location: Davis, CA

Re: Shaman Rex45 Sprint - General Discussion & Support thread - (not alerts)

Postby samdasnake » Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:20 pm

My Rex45 Shaman just came in the mail. Man is it beautiful! This is my first Shaman and I really like how beefy it is. Fit and finish is perfect as well. Great job with this sprint!

JMM
Member
Posts: 951
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:39 pm
Location: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Re: Shaman Rex45 Sprint - General Discussion & Support thread - (not alerts)

Postby JMM » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:53 pm

The Shaman is indeed a hard/heavy use masterpiece, it is most collected model any more, they all are awesome, you landed a great one for your first Shaman, it's spectacular steel you got in there! ;)

User avatar
TkoK83Spy
Member
Posts: 5416
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:32 pm
Location: Syracuse, NY

Re: Shaman Rex45 Sprint - General Discussion & Support thread - (not alerts)

Postby TkoK83Spy » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:38 pm

JMM wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:53 pm
The Shaman is indeed a hard/heavy use masterpiece, it is most collected model any more, they all are awesome, you landed a great one for your first Shaman, it's spectacular steel you got in there! ;)
I agree. I've lucked out and managed to get the St Nick's and Cruwear versions. The second I saw a post about this being available...I was on it. Didnt even plan on getting one because the other 2 serve me very well. It was an instinct haha! Very excited for this one, as I let my Rosewood version go because I didn't care for the feel of the scales.
23 :spyder:'s in 13 different steels
2 - ZT's - 0460 and 0470
1 - Microtech Ultratech DE OTF
1 - Benchmade 940 (BHQ Exclusive/M4)
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays

-Rick

User avatar
kennethsime
Member
Posts: 1598
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:28 pm
Location: California

Re: Shaman Rex45 Sprint - General Discussion & Support thread - (not alerts)

Postby kennethsime » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:52 pm

How does it sit in the pocket?

I think that's my chief worry about the Shaman. I pick a Delica or Endura over a Griptillian for example, in no small part because of the excess room the Griptillian takes up in the pocket and how it puts pressure on a small point of my hip.

Looks beautiful, anyway, and a heck of a user.
Lost to the Ages: C90GRE Stretch 1 ZDP-189 British Racing Green | C28GRE2 Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189 British Racing Green
C12BK2W Matriarch 2 VG-10 Emerson Open | C81G2 Para Military 2 S30V

Currently Rotating: C81GPRGR2 Para Military 2 K390 Ranger Green | C223GPRGR Para 3 K390 Ranger Green
C90FPIV2 Stretch 2 Straight Spine, VG-10 Rit Dye'd Dark Apple Green | C223GP Para 3 S30V Green Canvas Micarta
C41BORE5 Native 5 Lightweight REX 45 Burnt Orange | C223BORE Para 3 Lightweight REX 45 Burnt Orange
C101GY2 Manix 2 Lightweight Maxamet Gray | C28GFG Dragonfly K390 Swap Foliage Green
MT27 Mule Team 27 Micro-Melt PD#1 Ranger Green | C36GPGR Military 204p Dark Green

User avatar
Mushroom
Member
Posts: 3107
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:45 pm
Location: Boston, Ma. U.S.A. Earth

Re: Shaman Rex45 Sprint - General Discussion & Support thread - (not alerts)

Postby Mushroom » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:00 pm

Mine came in today as well and it is just as nice as expected! Lockup is rock solid and the action is drop shut out of box, it's so satisfying!
- Nick

:spyder:

User avatar
Enactive
Member
Posts: 1258
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:19 pm
Location: Wet side of Washington

Re: Shaman Rex45 Sprint - General Discussion & Support thread - (not alerts)

Postby Enactive » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:42 pm

kennethsime wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:52 pm
How does it sit in the pocket?

I think that's my chief worry about the Shaman. I pick a Delica or Endura over a Griptillian for example, in no small part because of the excess room the Griptillian takes up in the pocket and how it puts pressure on a small point of my hip.

Looks beautiful, anyway, and a heck of a user.
It carries surprisingly well for it's weight and thickness, the contouring really helps in that regard. It does not, however, carry nearly as well as the Native and Chief. Those three are among my favorite and most carried and used. The Stretch and SpydieChef are my other two faves for reference. Those two also carry significantly better than the Shaman. It is a chunk... a chunk of joy.

User avatar
kennethsime
Member
Posts: 1598
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:28 pm
Location: California

Re: Shaman Rex45 Sprint - General Discussion & Support thread - (not alerts)

Postby kennethsime » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:53 pm

Enactive wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:42 pm
It carries surprisingly well for it's weight and thickness, the contouring really helps in that regard. It does not, however, carry nearly as well as the Native and Chief. Those three are among my favorite and most carried and used. The Stretch and SpydieChef are my other two faves for reference. Those two also carry significantly better than the Shaman. It is a chunk... a chunk of joy.
Those are all great comparisons! The stretch is one of my favorites as well.

The Shaman looks like it's begging for some Micarta scales. Eventually I'll get one and give it that treatment.
Lost to the Ages: C90GRE Stretch 1 ZDP-189 British Racing Green | C28GRE2 Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189 British Racing Green
C12BK2W Matriarch 2 VG-10 Emerson Open | C81G2 Para Military 2 S30V

Currently Rotating: C81GPRGR2 Para Military 2 K390 Ranger Green | C223GPRGR Para 3 K390 Ranger Green
C90FPIV2 Stretch 2 Straight Spine, VG-10 Rit Dye'd Dark Apple Green | C223GP Para 3 S30V Green Canvas Micarta
C41BORE5 Native 5 Lightweight REX 45 Burnt Orange | C223BORE Para 3 Lightweight REX 45 Burnt Orange
C101GY2 Manix 2 Lightweight Maxamet Gray | C28GFG Dragonfly K390 Swap Foliage Green
MT27 Mule Team 27 Micro-Melt PD#1 Ranger Green | C36GPGR Military 204p Dark Green

JuPaul
Member
Posts: 3628
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:06 am

Re: Shaman Rex45 Sprint - General Discussion & Support thread - (not alerts)

Postby JuPaul » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:59 pm

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:38 pm
JMM wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:53 pm
The Shaman is indeed a hard/heavy use masterpiece, it is most collected model any more, they all are awesome, you landed a great one for your first Shaman, it's spectacular steel you got in there! ;)
I agree. I've lucked out and managed to get the St Nick's and Cruwear versions. The second I saw a post about this being available...I was on it. Didnt even plan on getting one because the other 2 serve me very well. It was an instinct haha! Very excited for this one, as I let my Rosewood version go because I didn't care for the feel of the scales.
I would've been shocked if you didn't get this one! ;) It really seems like your perfect knife.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.

Spydergirl88
Member
Posts: 7596
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:42 pm

Re: Shaman Rex45 Sprint - General Discussion & Support thread - (not alerts)

Postby Spydergirl88 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:23 pm

This thread gave me FOMO

208 tim
Member
Posts: 75
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:32 pm

Re: Shaman Rex45 Sprint - General Discussion & Support thread - (not alerts)

Postby 208 tim » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:04 pm

I've been holding out for the Chief in Rex 45. Picked this up yesterday(I have a problem and I'm weak) and it is a beast and not in a bad way. First time ever handling a Shaman. I'm impressed with this design in just a short time. Very nice for for my xl hands. The steel is something special in my opinion. Too bad it is not a standard steel.

User avatar
Mushroom
Member
Posts: 3107
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:45 pm
Location: Boston, Ma. U.S.A. Earth

Re: Shaman Rex45 Sprint - General Discussion & Support thread - (not alerts)

Postby Mushroom » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:39 am

Tried to make a quick gif... hopefully it works. :spyder:

Image
- Nick

:spyder:

Signalman1
Member
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:07 pm

Re: Shaman Rex45 Sprint - General Discussion & Support thread - (not alerts)

Postby Signalman1 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:49 am

Mushroom sir your killing me but nice snag :D

Signalman1 :mad: :) :D

User avatar
attila
Member
Posts: 1305
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:20 am
Location: Maryland

Re: Shaman Rex45 Sprint - General Discussion & Support thread - (not alerts)

Postby attila » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:35 am

I’m jealous!

Mine has been in USPS limbo for over a week. :( :confused:
Own: Delica, yOld S30V Native, pointy Breeden Rescue, Delica, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW,Pakka Delica, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, M4 Manix, HAP40 Caly 3, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, Pakka DF2, Cruwear PM2, SE Pac Salt, HAP40 Jazzlica, S110V Native, P.I.T.S., DLC Manix, REX 45 PM2, Para 3, XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, 20CV PM2, Rhino, SB Calypso Jr., B70P, PMA11, K03, ZDP Stretch 2, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, 204p PM2, Swick, SG Delica, BL Lil'Native, AEB-L Urban, HAP40 Stretch, KC Cruwear Manix,Cruwear Military, M390 PM2, Cruwear Delica, 4V Lil'Native, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Para 3 LW, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, RexWood Shaman, DLC Cruwear Shaman, Rex 45 Manix, Native 5, Native LW, 204p Para 3, S45VN PM2, S90V Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix

Waiting for: SPY27, K490, Swick 5, and something purple
.

User avatar
TkoK83Spy
Member
Posts: 5416
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:32 pm
Location: Syracuse, NY

Re: Shaman Rex45 Sprint - General Discussion & Support thread - (not alerts)

Postby TkoK83Spy » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:22 am

In the mailbox at home...but my wife is working from home. June was "supposed" to be a "no new knife" month. I can't wait for the text message I get once she grabs the mail today :p
23 :spyder:'s in 13 different steels
2 - ZT's - 0460 and 0470
1 - Microtech Ultratech DE OTF
1 - Benchmade 940 (BHQ Exclusive/M4)
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays

-Rick

Spydergirl88
Member
Posts: 7596
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:42 pm

Re: Shaman Rex45 Sprint - General Discussion & Support thread - (not alerts)

Postby Spydergirl88 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:05 am

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:22 am
In the mailbox at home...but my wife is working from home. June was "supposed" to be a "no new knife" month. I can't wait for the text message I get once she grabs the mail today :p
Tell her you thought she said July lol

User avatar
Sharp Guy
Member
Posts: 6118
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:19 pm
Location: Over here!

Re: Shaman Rex45 Sprint - General Discussion & Support thread - (not alerts)

Postby Sharp Guy » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:16 pm

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:05 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:22 am
In the mailbox at home...but my wife is working from home. June was "supposed" to be a "no new knife" month. I can't wait for the text message I get once she grabs the mail today :p
Tell her you thought she said July lol
Or tell her you had the dealer cut some stuff with it and it's no longer new. You never agreed to not buy a used knife...right? :D
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!

User avatar
TkoK83Spy
Member
Posts: 5416
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:32 pm
Location: Syracuse, NY

Re: Shaman Rex45 Sprint - General Discussion & Support thread - (not alerts)

Postby TkoK83Spy » Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:38 am

Sharp Guy wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:16 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:05 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:22 am
In the mailbox at home...but my wife is working from home. June was "supposed" to be a "no new knife" month. I can't wait for the text message I get once she grabs the mail today :p
Tell her you thought she said July lol
Or tell her you had the dealer cut some stuff with it and it's no longer new. You never agreed to not buy a used knife...right? :D
Of course I got a text yesterday while I was at work, it read "Now what did you order?? STOP BUYING KNIVES"

I told her I was going to sell another to make room for this one...but I currently don't have any I want to get rid of, so this plan is currently on hold :p
23 :spyder:'s in 13 different steels
2 - ZT's - 0460 and 0470
1 - Microtech Ultratech DE OTF
1 - Benchmade 940 (BHQ Exclusive/M4)
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays

-Rick

User avatar
bearfacedkiller
Member
Posts: 10013
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:22 pm
Location: hiding in the woods...

Re: Shaman Rex45 Sprint - General Discussion & Support thread - (not alerts)

Postby bearfacedkiller » Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:53 am

Just keep a bunch of extra flat rate boxes laying around and talk about selling knives a lot. It works in my house. :)

Mine will be here Tuesday. I am in the process of buying a new motorcycle and a new truck so I was trying to resist. That didn’t work. :) Still need that Rex Chief too!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?

User avatar
TkoK83Spy
Member
Posts: 5416
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:32 pm
Location: Syracuse, NY

Re: Shaman Rex45 Sprint - General Discussion & Support thread - (not alerts)

Postby TkoK83Spy » Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:59 am

My happy Rex family!

Resized_20200613_075059.jpeg
23 :spyder:'s in 13 different steels
2 - ZT's - 0460 and 0470
1 - Microtech Ultratech DE OTF
1 - Benchmade 940 (BHQ Exclusive/M4)
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays

-Rick


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], RamZar, Wartstein and 39 guests