3 Classics You Want To See As SPRINT RUNS

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
brj

Re: 3 Classics You Want To See As SPRINT RUNS

Post by brj »

Calypso
Catcherman Salt
Remote Release Salt (regular production pretty please)
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I'd like to see the Ayoob in a sprint run as well. Or a Renegade or Blackhawk.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Filoso-

Post by Filoso- »

brancron wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:00 am
I would love to see the original C25 Centofante (the one with the rubber inlay) revamped as a sprint run. If it were a titanium handle, 20CV blade, micarta inlay
Another vote for the C25 Centofante! Titanium scales and a natural micarta inlay would be perfect for this knife...
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

brj wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:40 pm
Calypso
Catcherman Salt
Remote Release Salt (regular production pretty please)
I do hope you are talking about the original C-54 big model Calypso. That model got a bad deal because at the time it was introduced it was overshadowed by many models of that time period. Although it does qualify as being one of the masterpiece blades of the GOLDEN ERA OF SPYDERS 1998-2004 it is still overlooked to this day. The serrated/spyderedged version of that knife is one of the 3 best serrated blades Spyderco ever made IMO.
Any of the CATCHERMAN models will get a Thumbs-Up from me. Actually I liked the original AUS-8 Catcherman models the best but they were all good. And the full SE Catcherman models are also some of the best serrated models they ever made.
Igi964

Post by Igi964 »

Centofante 4
Terzuola C15
Air
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Massad Ayoob (fully-lined G10 handle; LC200N for toughness; plain-edge)

Breeden Captain (fully-lined G10 handle; LC200N blade for toughness; Spyderedge on the recurve)

Tusk (not in an expensive and slippery titanium handle but one with Waterway/Siren G10 treatment over corrosion-resistant liners; LC200N for corrosion-resistance; Spyderedge)

All purpose-built and thus odd-looking. :D
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

wrdwrght wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:26 am

Breeden Captain (fully-lined G10 handle; LC200N blade for toughness; Spyderedge on the recurve)
Definitely with you on both of these. I'd especially love to see the Ayoob.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

wrdwrght wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:26 am

Tusk (not in an expensive and slippery titanium handle but one with Waterway/Siren G10 treatment over corrosion-resistant liners; LC200N for corrosion-resistance; Spyderedge)

All purpose-built and thus odd-looking. :D
Another vote for the C-60 Ayoob model. No it's not just me that want's this ultra-classic to return but it's close to half of the respondents who also want it.

Also I couldn't agree with you more on the Breeden Captain model in SE this time around. I do believe had this model been available in SE the first time around they could have sold at least 4 times as many of them>> I'm sure of it. And what he says about the inner arch/recurve part being SE is spot on. The rounded pendulum end of that model in PE would be just fine. >> One more suggestion on a Sprint Run PE CAPTAIN model; Let this new one be made with LC200N blade steel. Because the name CAPTAIN along with serrated nitrogen steel would make it a seafaring/ marine favorite.

Great Suggestions thus far guys :cool: :spyder:
Burton Knut

Post by Burton Knut »

Don’t know if these qualify as classics and I highly doubt the demand is there, but I’d love to see the Hossom fixed blade set revisited. I’d buy the whole set and maybe backups if they came in Cruwear, 3V or 4V.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Burton Knut wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:36 am
Don’t know if these qualify as classics and I highly doubt the demand is there, but I’d love to see the Hossom fixed blade set revisited. I’d buy the whole set and maybe backups if they came in Cruwear, 3V or 4V.
The Hossom models had a lot of popularity when they were in the main line up back around 2006-2008 I think it was. But when they dropped off the radar screen the quickly lost their fanfare it seems.

There have been so many other models since then that you can hack wood with that they have become forgotten for the most part. The Hossom models had a cult following during their time in the main line up. But it's not often that they even get brought up. I seen one of the Hossom models for sale about a year ago on a website that I frequent but it got hardly no interest at all from what I can remember.

The Szabo-Hawk to me would be far superior for wood chopping and woodwork in general. And you rarely hear anyone bragging about that model either.
Burton Knut

Post by Burton Knut »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:49 am
Burton Knut wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:36 am
The Hossom models had a lot of popularity when they were in the main line up back around 2006-2008 I think it was. But when they dropped off the radar screen the quickly lost their fanfare it seems.

There have been so many other models since then that you can hack wood with that they have become forgotten for the most part. The Hossom models had a cult following during their time in the main line up. But it's not often that they even get brought up. I seen one of the Hossom models for sale about a year ago on a website that I frequent but it got hardly no interest at all from what I can remember.

The Szabo-Hawk to me would be far superior for wood chopping and woodwork in general. And you rarely hear anyone bragging about that model either.
I’ve considered picking up a couple of the old models on the secondary market and may still grab one if the price is right but it would just be a collectors piece for the simple fact I have other options in steels I’d rather beat on.

If the Hossom set got rereleased in one of the previously mentioned steels or something comparable then I’d probably get a set for the collection and one or two sizes for users.

How about the two bigger sizes in 3V or Cruwear and the smaller sizes in 4V??
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Ill change one of my answers to the Catcherman, since I would get a lot of use out of that knife.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I used to really want one of the Hossom models but that was only until I got the Province. I would certainly still welcome a full set of the Hossom fixed blades into my collection but for a user knife, the Province really seems like it will take care of everything the Hossoms could have with ease.

I'm not discouraging the idea of the Hossoms, so much as I'm encouraging getting a Province! ;) :spyder:
-Nick :bug-red
Burton Knut

Post by Burton Knut »

Mushroom wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:36 am
I used to really want one of the Hossom models but that was only until I got the Province. I would certainly still welcome a full set of the Hossom fixed blades into my collection but for a user knife, the Province really seems like it will take care of everything the Hossoms could have with ease.

I'm not discouraging the idea of the Hossoms, so much as I'm encouraging getting a Province! ;) :spyder:
Haha! My Province will be here Tuesday!! It’ll be a user, but I’m seriously considering a back up/collector piece too.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Ayoob and Calypso would be nice in K390.

Hopefully we can get the clip on the Ayoob to be mounted closer to the end of the handle. That was my major gripe on the last sprint.

What ever happened to the Full Size Manix Lock back with Eric's lock improvements? S110V or S90V would be pretty sweet on that.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Kels73

Post by Kels73 »

1) Catcherman - orange FRN linerless, LC200N FFG PE

2) Tuff - green micarta, 4V

3) Persian - bolster/ivory micarta, M390
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Donut wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:48 am
Ayoob and Calypso would be nice in K390.

Hopefully we can get the clip on the Ayoob to be mounted closer to the end of the handle. That was my major gripe on the last sprint.

What ever happened to the Full Size Manix Lock back with Eric's lock improvements? S110V or S90V would be pretty sweet on that.
DONUT ol' Buddy the Ayoob & C-54 Calypso both in K390 is an excellent idea. We've just got to make that happen. As many people who obviously want the C-60 Ayoob it just can't be ignored IMO. I also like your suggestion on the Ayoob clip too.

This just has to come to fruition at some point. and please make the Ayoob and C-54 Calypso in both PE & SE.
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Donut wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:48 am
Judging by how quickly the manix lock back was discontinued, I don't think they will be doing sprints or a bigger model.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

1.) Starmate (Made in Golden)
2.) Centofante C50
3.) Toss-up between the Dyad Jr. and Michael Walker
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

SpyderNut wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:08 pm
1.) Starmate (Made in Golden)
2.) Centofante C50
3.) Toss-up between the Dyad Jr. and Michael Walker
Sad to say that the Centofante C-50 is an impossibility. Sal informed us some time back that all the tooling was eliminated. I would love a Micarta C-36 Dyad Jr with Supersteel blades.

I'm like you I love those really streamlined models like the C-50. But there were so many great Spyderco models during that time slot that fell by the wayside because there were so many high selling models during that period that pushed them out unfortunately. But I feel that better days are coming.