3 Classics You Want To See As SPRINT RUNS

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
skeeg11

Re: 3 Classics You Want To See As SPRINT RUNS

Post by skeeg11 »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:45 pm
How about a Micro Dyad in solid LC200N, with a mammoth tooth inlay?

The market might be a bit limited though...

Let's see, there's me... and maybe a few other crazies.
:p
I'm all in!!!
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

JD, I agree that it would be great to see another version of the Ayoob. How about a S90V version?

I’ve always been intrigued by the Impala hunting folder (the version without the guthook).
4V would be an interesting steel to test out for that kind of work.

One thing I’d like to see more of are fixed blades in tool steels.

It’s a fairly recently discontinued model, but I’ve been enjoying the Phil Wilson Southfork in S90V.

I believe that model could stand alongside any of the ‘Golden Era’ classics. (Actually I think we’re really in a Golden Era right now, but that’s another subject!)

A more thinly ground K390 version with micarta handles would be close to a grail fixed blade for me. I’d also like to see the partial tang with G10 backspacer like the original custom design. This would shift the centre of balance slightly forward, which makes a blade feel a bit more nimble for skinning and boning work.
Last edited by Cambertree on Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

skeeg11 wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:27 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:45 pm
How about a Micro Dyad in solid LC200N, with a mammoth tooth inlay?

The market might be a bit limited though...

Let's see, there's me... and maybe a few other crazies.
:p
I'm all in!!!
That's atleast 5 sales right there!

You'll buy one, I'll buy... four... at the beginning.

Haha, sounds like good business to me!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Cambertree wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:24 am
It’s a fairly recently discontinued model, but I’ve been enjoying the Phil Wilson Southfork in S90V.

I believe that model could stand alongside any of the ‘Golden Age’ classics.

A more thinly ground K390 version with micarta handles would be close to a grail fixed blade for me. I’d also like to see the partial tang with G10 backspacer like the original custom design. This would shift the centre of balance slightly forward, which makes a blade feel a bit more nimble for skinning and boning work.
Southfork is nice, really thought-out design.
But, as I said before, I would bet it would be like 300+ Euros, which would be no-go for me, and I think for lot of other people as well.

Same thing with Temperance 2 in some tool steel, I know right now it would be too expensive for me....like, no way it would be like 200 Euros.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Executive with polished G10.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Pancake wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:24 am
Southfork is nice, really thought-out design.
But, as I said before, I would bet it would be like 300+ Euros, which would be no-go for me, and I think for lot of other people as well.

Same thing with Temperance 2 in some tool steel, I know right now it would be too expensive for me....like, no way it would be like 200 Euros.
I agree, a fixed blade in a tool steel would be quite expensive.

I’m in Australia, so I can sympathise with your concerns about high costs, even relative to the US prIces.

It’s what actually held me back from trying any of the Spyderco fixed blades for quite a while. The price you pay for most of them (including shipping, exchange rate etc) is about the same or more than you would pay for a custom piece made to your specs by a local knifemaker.

However, now that I have the Bradley Bowie, the Junction, the Waterway and the Southfork, I’m very impressed by their quality and design.

Many of the steels Spyderco offer aren’t commonly available in custom knives, at least here in Australia.

Also, given that the price and often the design features put these knives more in the afi market than many of the folders, I wish they’d grind them a bit thinner, like the custom versions.

A Temperance in a tool steel would be great. What steels were you thinking of?
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Cambertree wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:41 am

A Temperance in a tool steel would be great. What steels were you thinking of?
I am sure a lot of folks would said 3V, 4V, M4, but I say something along 52100. It could be hardened quite high, it is quite tough and it is not that expensive.
I know, I am talking about raw material, but I would like to have in auch steel, that would keep the cost as low as possible.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Pancake wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:10 am
I am sure a lot of folks would said 3V, 4V, M4, but I say something along 52100. It could be hardened quite high, it is quite tough and it is not that expensive.
I know, I am talking about raw material, but I would like to have in auch steel, that would keep the cost as low as possible.
Sure, a 52100 fixed blade with Spyderco's heat treatment would be great. And as you say, it would help keep the cost a bit lower, at least if the knife was made in Golden.

Plus you could run the edge really thin then! :D ;)

And if it was a Seki made blade, maybe V-Toku 2 would also work well.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

The original Jess Horn with the bone and bolsters and the trapezoidal divot.

The Kris. Would like to see this in a white linen, a jigged bone, and a stag. So that's 3 sprints right there.

Forester in 3V. Nice big massive spyderco Chopper in a Chopper steel. I'd settle for other steels like 4V or something similar.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

VashHash wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:43 am
The original Jess Horn with the bone and bolsters and the trapezoidal divot.

The Kris. Would like to see this in a white linen, a jigged bone, and a stag. So that's 3 sprints right there.

Forester in 3V. Nice big massive spyderco Chopper in a Chopper steel. I'd settle for other steels like 4V or something similar.
To have a KRIS model in PE & SE would be quite nice. The KRIS is one of the very few models out of that era that I never owned for some strange reason. Now I did own a couple of the SPYKER models which are kind of similar. I always wondered what the SPYKER would be like in SE.

If I remember right wasn't that FORESTER model one of those Hossom designs? I often wondered how good those Hossom designs would be in a cryo-quenched tool steel? Or maybe do that one in 52100?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Original bolstered Kiwi with stag scales.

Bolstered Schempp Persian with wood scales like the one prototype Sal has and without the Boye dent.

Ocelot with front bolsters, jigged bone scales and no Boye dent.

All the above in VG-10. FFG would be the cherry on top.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
benben

Post by benben »

All updated modern versions, any handle scale material, color, and any blade steel, surprise me!

Ayoob.
Large Wegner.
Original Paramilitary, love the size of this one, oh, and still with the dino jimping!

Okay, I lied......

Ayoob with a denim blue G-10 scales and Cru-wear.
Large Wegner with polished black micarta, VG-10 with a larger opening hole.
Original Paramilitary with OD green micarta with a tough tool steel.....say 3V or 4V. Really I'd be happy with any steel?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

benben wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:11 pm
All updated modern versions, any handle scale material, color, and any blade steel, surprise me!

Ayoob.
Large Wegner.
Original Paramilitary, love the size of this one, oh, and still with the dino jimping!

Okay, I lied......

Ayoob with a denim blue G-10 scales and Cru-wear.
Large Wegner with polished black micarta, VG-10 with a larger opening hole.
Original Paramilitary with OD green micarta with a tough tool steel.....say 3V or 4V. Really I'd be happy with any steel?
Well I hope Spyderco is noticing just how many folks are also wanting to see an updated version of the C-60 Ayoob. And hey I could go for one in denim blue G-10 scales as long as it has a serious supersteel blade. The first two editions had VG-10 and it's time that model got to be tested in one of the newer/better blade steels IMO.

The Wegner and Impala models both were truly great hunter-folders. Spyderco could do a spiced up version of both or either one of those and I would be in line to get one. The Wegner goes all the way back to the ATS-34 era and the Impala would be super cool with something like an M-4 or M390 blade.
kwakster

Post by kwakster »

Forgot the name of this model, but it came in 2 sizes, and with aluminium or G10 handles.
Would like to see these made again with full hard HAP40 steel or equivalent.

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

kwakster wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:04 pm
Forgot the name of this model, but it came in 2 sizes, and with aluminium or G10 handles.
Would like to see these made again with full hard HAP40 steel or equivalent.

I believe that is the Terzoula C-15 model. Or it could be the C-19 Terzoula. I had the C-15 on a couple of occasions.

The model from that era I really loved from the ATS-34 era which also had that Terzoula model was the Centofante-C-50 model. But Sal informed me that the tooling for the manufacture of that model had been destroyed/eliminated. And it was the closest thing to the Benchmade Boguszewski Spike of anything Spyderco ever made IMO.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Ayoob, any steel
Tatanka, S30V
PM1
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

leafstorm in m390 with the twill fiber scales.
walker in 20cv in dark purple g10
OG paramilitary in spy27 and cobalt blue g10

but i would get doubles if there was a jade g10 and ranger green g10 or even brightish green like the lc200n version were supposed to be.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
brancron

Post by brancron »

I would love to see the original C25 Centofante (the one with the rubber inlay) revamped as a sprint run. If it were a titanium handle, 20CV blade, micarta inlay, and tip-up wire clip it might just be the perfect knife!

Next, the C17 Catcherman model would be awesome to see as an H1 sprint run.

Finally, the C31 Europa! Apparently it was a model that never made it into production, and was a sort of an Endura with a corkscrew. Sounds really weird, but I want one!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

bearrowland wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:40 pm
Ayoob, any steel
Tatanka, S30V
PM1
Yeah the AYOOB again is being requested. I sure hope that the Great Spyder Factory is taking notice :cool: I also like your choice of the Tatanka but I would rather see it in either 3V or 20V. I bet M390 would make a great steel for that big blade as well.

I'm just sure if Spyderco would do a really jazzed up version of the C-60 Ayoob that it would sell out within the first month of it's release. What else could a premium knife company ask for?
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I agree. The design is timeless.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032