3 Classics You Want To See As SPRINT RUNS

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
marshmallow

Re: 3 Classics You Want To See As SPRINT RUNS

Post by marshmallow »

I'm late in the game, but Jester looks amazing.
"stay puft."
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

wrdwrght wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:26 am
Tusk (not in an expensive and slippery titanium handle but one with Waterway/Siren G10 treatment over corrosion-resistant liners; LC200N for corrosion-resistance; Spyderedge)

All purpose-built and thus odd-looking. :D
I really like your idea of a less expensive version of the Tusk. I've wanted a tusk for a long long time but haven't pulled the trigger due to the price. I think it would be awesome to see a Tusk LW in FRN if that's feasible given the design requirements.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

marshmallow wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:38 pm
I've never really been a fan of the micro-sized Spyders because most work I do with knives requires something at least as big as a Para2. But I'll admit that I always did like the design of the Jester better than any of the Micro-Spyders. I had 2 of those Burgundy Micarta Jesters and I got good trades with both of them. You just don't even hear much mentioned about the Jester anymore and it's a shame too.

The small Micarta Dyad jr. is about as small of knife as I'll use most of the time. That would be a good small one as well.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:37 pm
marshmallow wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:38 pm
I've never really been a fan of the micro-sized Spyders because most work I do with knives requires something at least as big as a Para2. But I'll admit that I always did like the design of the Jester better than any of the Micro-Spyders. I had 2 of those Burgundy Micarta Jesters and I got good trades with both of them. You just don't even hear much mentioned about the Jester anymore and it's a shame too.

The small Micarta Dyad jr. is about as small of knife as I'll use most of the time. That would be a good small one as well.
The Jester was always my favorite tiny knife. But, the Micro Dyad has blown it out of the water. It is an SE Jester(kinda), with a spinter picking PE blade.

I love it.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Donut

Post by Donut »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:44 pm
Donut wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:48 am
What ever happened to the Full Size Manix Lock back with Eric's lock improvements? S110V or S90V would be pretty sweet on that.
Judging by how quickly the manix lock back was discontinued, I don't think they will be doing sprints or a bigger model.
You're probably right.

Do you know why? :p (It didn't sell well.)

You know, I kind of think that's responsibility. Some knife companies don't do back locks well or their customers don't like them, so they don't make many of them. In the same note, some knife companies neglect their left handed users. I feel like this is where Spyderco shines or maybe just shows up, because they are responsible.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:45 am
SpyderNut wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:08 pm
1.) Starmate (Made in Golden)
2.) Centofante C50
3.) Toss-up between the Dyad Jr. and Michael Walker
Sad to say that the Centofante C-50 is an impossibility. Sal informed us some time back that all the tooling was eliminated. I would love a Micarta C-36 Dyad Jr with Supersteel blades.

I'm like you I love those really streamlined models like the C-50. But there were so many great Spyderco models during that time slot that fell by the wayside because there were so many high selling models during that period that pushed them out unfortunately. But I feel that better days are coming.
I hear you, JD. It makes me sad because the C-50 is an all-time favorite of mine too. I remember Sal saying that about the loss of tooling... However, in light of today’s technology, I hold onto a slim glimmer of hope that the C-50 will make another appearance in production some day. I think it would be very well received—even if they eliminated the Secure Lock feature and just went with a Liner Lock or Frame Lock. A fellow can dream, right? :D
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

SpyderNut wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:53 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:45 am
SpyderNut wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:08 pm
1.) Starmate (Made in Golden)
2.) Centofante C50
3.) Toss-up between the Dyad Jr. and Michael Walker
Sad to say that the Centofante C-50 is an impossibility. Sal informed us some time back that all the tooling was eliminated. I would love a Micarta C-36 Dyad Jr with Supersteel blades.

I'm like you I love those really streamlined models like the C-50. But there were so many great Spyderco models during that time slot that fell by the wayside because there were so many high selling models during that period that pushed them out unfortunately. But I feel that better days are coming.
I hear you, JD. It makes me sad because the C-50 is an all-time favorite of mine too. I remember Sal saying that about the loss of tooling... However, in light of today’s technology, I hold onto a slim glimmer of hope that the C-50 will make another appearance in production some day. I think it would be very well received—even if they eliminated the Secure Lock feature and just went with a Liner Lock or Frame Lock. A fellow can dream, right? :D
Yeah I would love it if Spyderco would do some advanced high tech versions of some of their older/discontinued designs. All of the older models from the C-01 Worker all the way to the C-60 Ayoob model all seem to fetch a pretty nickel when they do go up for sale on the secondary markets. I'm sure a newer C-50 Centofante with a CNC milled, solid Titanium handle with one of the Supersteels would probably even appeal to many newbies as well as guys who loved the older Spyders as many of us did.
benben

Post by benben »

Quick question guys, do any of you know if there was ever a fake, knockoff Ayoob?? I’d appreciate a quick answer if anyone knows.
benben

Post by benben »

Quick question guys, do any of you know if there was ever a fake, knockoff Ayoob?? I’d appreciate a quick answer if anyone knows.
benben

Post by benben »

Guess I’ll take that as a no.....
BD583

Post by BD583 »

Spyderfly - CTS-XHP, DLC blade and black hardware, TNP blue G-10
Anso Rock Lobster - CPM-20CV, dark gray G-10
Bob Lum Tanto - M390, DLC blade, black linen micarta
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

BD583 wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:34 am
On the Lum Tanto are you referring to the C-46 Folder or the fixed blade? I would love that C-46 folder with M390.

I never owned a Rock Lobster but I would like to try one out. That is a most interesting design for sure.
BD583

Post by BD583 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:38 am
BD583 wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:34 am
On the Lum Tanto are you referring to the C-46 Folder or the fixed blade? I would love that C-46 folder with M390.

I never owned a Rock Lobster but I would like to try one out. That is a most interesting design for sure.
Folder on the Bob Lum Tanto. I love that blade. Could the knife be redesigned with a compression lock?

I recently pulled the Rock Lobster out of storage after many years. It was smaller than I had recalled. Maybe make it a Rock Lobster XL?
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Bob Lum Chinese folder, all three of them.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Takuan

Post by Takuan »

(1) Remote release (preferably as a Salt knife, though I’m not sure how the spring mechanism would fare in salt water).

(2) Catcherman (with LC200N steel)

(3) Bushcraft (with 3V steel)
"We cannot live better than in seeking to become better."
--Socrates
FRNFanboy

Post by FRNFanboy »

Sage 5 Lightweight, UKPK, Urban.
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

easy peasy.

1. a lil' nilakka in 3v and some variety of stabilized wood, because slicey and convenient are my two favorite things.
2. one eyed jack in 20cv, because the more "fancy" knives from spyderco the better.
3. and for something completely different, an updated civilian with an emerson wave and improved ergos. Could fit in the police lightweight frame and vg-10 or H-1 would be fine...

I know two of those were sorta limited run-ish things but I would do anything for a new lil' nilakka, maybe you could bump up the size an inch and call it the mid-i-lakka or something. I just need more slicey blades in my life, and 0.079 stock will do that. PLEASE GIVE ME MY LIL NILAKKA SAL.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Takuan wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:27 am
(1) Remote release (preferably as a Salt knife, though I’m not sure how the spring mechanism would fare in salt water).

(2) Catcherman (with LC200N steel)

(3) Bushcraft (with 3V steel)
The Catcherman with LC200N would be a dream come true in full SE. The Spyderco Catcherman in full SE is one of the most aggressive cutting knives I've ever used.

I've not yet owned a Bushcraft but I'm sure that knife would be super for survival and outdoor uses.
austrian_spyder_fan

Post by austrian_spyder_fan »

Caly 3
Rookie
Ocelot
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Nilaka - maybe in SPY-27 so it will hold up to that thin grind better
Goddard - I'm fine with VG-10, but would love some nice scales like polished micarta