First time meeting another spydie user in person?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
PoisonedPizza

First time meeting another spydie user in person?

Post by PoisonedPizza »

I'm super excited, last night I was angry about my plumbing being messed up, but when the plumber came, he asked about my PM2, and then he pulls out a Delica 2 stainless! He's the first spydie user I've met in person who didn't get it from me!
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but the knife is cooler than the pen.
JuPaul

Re: First time meeting another spydie user in person?

Post by JuPaul »

PoisonedPizza wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:08 am
I'm super excited, last night I was angry about my plumbing being messed up, but when the plumber came, he asked about my PM2, and then he pulls out a Delica 2 stainless! He's the first spydie user I've met in person who didn't get it from me!
That's funny, because the last fellow spydie user I met in person (a few months ago) was also carrying a stainless delica!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Sitting in the dentist's office waiting room, guy walked in and I immediately spotted a Yojimbo 1 in his pocket (super easy to spot). He sat down near me and I said "nice Yojimbo" and showed him my Yojimbo 2.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Cool stuff.

I think the first Spydie user I met was in a deer hunting camp.

Myself and one of my knifemaking hunting buddies often talk knives, and look over and test out some different ones when we field dress Sambar deer. Other hunters sometimes join the conversation or bring over knives to be sharpened.

The knives I generally see are a mix of commercial skinning and boning knives, cheap Chinese made blades with gun company names laser etched on them, some European stuff like Muelas and EKAs, and the occasional Buck and custom knife.

Once I got talking to a very knowledgable hunter, who I found out later had written a few articles for an Australian deer hunting magazine.

I asked him what knife he used and he produced a very well loved Spyderco Dragonfly in ZDP-189.
It had clearly been sharpened a lot, and the tip was very rounded over from honest wear.

I had heard those stories about old time hunters deftly breaking down a whole carcass with just a small pocket knife or a Victorinox paring knife. But this was the first time I’d seen such a thing.

Needless to say I was impressed.
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Coworker noticed my native and commented. Showed me his blacked out military. We chatted a bit, turns out he's a veteran and didn't know about opfocus, he seemed pretty interested to know about the discount.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:30 am
Sitting in the dentist's office waiting room, guy walked in and I immediately spotted a Yojimbo 1 in his pocket (super easy to spot). He sat down near me and I said "nice Yojimbo" and showed him my Yojimbo 2.
HAHAH, great story! I hope the waiting room wasn't too crowded, though.. I can only imagine the looks you must have gotten complimenting another man's Yojimbo in public like that! :D
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..