Manix 2 or Manix 2 XL

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Soupladel

Manix 2 or Manix 2 XL

Post by Soupladel »

Ok, I am think of buying a new knife. I only recently got the Endura 4 and it’s a great knife, but I think I like the look and shape of the Manix a little better.

I have the option to buy the Manix 2 XL in S30V or the “Blurple” Manix 2 in S110v.

Now logics suggests S110v is the better steel, but I prefer the look of the XL in some ways because it is all black.

Is the S110v worth it in order to sacrifice a little in terms of the look and style of the knife (and I stress it is only a little) or should I stick with the larger knife that I am drawn to because of colour but a slightly lesser steel?

The other question is, as the S110v is a harder steel, will I be able to maintain the edge easily enough for a noob with the sharpmaker, which I don’t yet have diamond rods for? Or should I stick with the s30v which it seems is easier to maintain/keep sharp?
Tucson Tom

Re: Manix 2 or Manix 2 XL

Post by Tucson Tom »

Well, you are making this complicated. You are really asking two questions. A steel question and a model question.

The XL is just big. Bigger than I expected. Nothing wrong with that, and it is just what some people want, but if I didn't say it already, just realize it is big. The "regular" Manix 2 is one of my favorite knives and fits my hand like a glove. I can't say enough good things about it, and my hands are big (I buy XL size gloves). The two knives are as different as night and day.

As for steels, S30V versus S110V, hmmm. You can read all kinds of stuff about that. You can't go wrong with either. Both are stainless, but S110V seems especially corrosion resistant. S110V is fantastic as far as edge retention. I have yet to sharpen my s110v manix, so I can't say much about sharpening.

I like S30V and my tastes run towards more balanced steels these days. You certainly won't go wrong with it, especially from Spyderco. I find it straightforward to sharpen and it holds up well.

As for looks, beauty is in the eye of the beholder! Only you can make that call.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i don’t prefer the xl in pocket at all and i love the manix 2 in pocket. however, i also personally prefer s30v to s110v for every day use. is there a reason. you can’t just get the all black manix 2?
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

If you go Manix2 S30v you won't regret it. It's already a big knife and S30v is great and way easier to sharpen than S110v. Don't forget the lightweight FRCP version in BD1N if you like deep carry, easy to sharpen, light as ****, and easier on the pocket.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Soupladel wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:13 pm
Ok, I am think of buying a new knife. I only recently got the Endura 4 and it’s a great knife, but I think I like the look and shape of the Manix a little better.
I've got to admit that the Manix 2 hits the sweet spot for me. The size and fit for my hand is near perfect. I enjoy S110V more than S30V, and it would be worth it for me to get the extra Sharpmaker rods.

The XL... well, it's an entirely different knife. It's BIG. I actually got a couple yesterday, and my first impression was daaaamn... these are BIG. If you're comfortable with big, then it's a pretty cool knife.
acer

Post by acer »

Love the manix family. To me all the models are fab, the big question is weight , though in real terms It’s not a heavy knife you do notice the weight difference in the lwt models as already stated. I have found a new appreciation for the lwt model and have lwt grey maxamet in rotation and it sure see a lot of pocket. Can’t go wrong with either any one worth having in collection Eric design, USA made And above all it’s a Spyderco💪🕸out
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Soupladel wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:13 pm

I have the option to buy the Manix 2 XL in S30V or the “Blurple” Manix 2 in S110v.

Just some food for thought (in my case from only handling and considering several Manix G10 variants, but actually owning only the LW):

- I like large knives, but the XL would be TOO bulky and big for me as a regular carry. If I had one, I´d probably keep it at home and use it there in many tasks, but probably very rarely have it in pocket. Plus: In many "Manix XL" scenarios I´d bring a fixed blade.
That being said: If you don´t mind the size, this is an amazing knife and feels like 110% quality and unbelievable solid
But keep in mind; When it comes to actual cutting edge, your Endura still offers more than the XL.

- As long as you are ok with the relatively short cutting edge of the regular Manix 2 (a LOT less edge than on your Endura!): In my view there are not many better options out there, ergonomicwise but also when it comes to cutting performance. And since you already have a long-edged knife, I´d go with the "regular" (and not XL) Manix as a second option

- I´d strongly recommend the lightweight Manix though!: It is more than strong enough, the combination of large size and relatively to that very low weight makes it a dream to carry (no "bouncing" even in wider pockets and when running), and for me it is clearly more comfortable in hand than the G10 version (mostly due to the closed back perhaps)
If you go LW: Make sure you get the new BD1N version (and not the old BD1 "without N"). This steel performs a lot better than I would have expected!

- No experience with S110V, but since S30V is a great balanced steel imho, has enough edge retention and is still quite easy to sharpen in my use, I´d stick with the latter if I had to choose. Just my 2c of course, and coming from a guy who is not a master at sharpening.

- Though when it comes to the "regular" Manix in S30V: Keep in mind that this variant is noticeable heavier than the S110V (or other G10 versions / sprints of it) - due to the not skeletonized liners of the S30V model. This heavier weight would be close to a deal breaker for me personally. It is more "shaman-ish", while the S110V (and other) G10 variants are more "PM2-ish" when it comes to weight.

- Concerning your sharpmaker: I´d get diamond rods for it (or CBN, which I have and they are great) anyway...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I agree with Warstein that a LW is a joy to carry and use. I also prefer the standard size M2 for daily carry. The XL is great but it is big.
One more thing. You are not going to be able to keep S110v sharp o a Sharpmaker unless you buy CBN or Diamond rods for it. Even then it will be a chore.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
prsman

Post by prsman »

After going between a PM2, PM3, Tenacious and spydiechef as my EDC’s, i have no problems recommending the XL.

Sure, it’s big but it carries nicely.

I’ve owned mine for 1 whole day but I seriously wonder if I’ll ever carry my PM2 or tenacious again....lol
6285120D-E6F0-4C37-9409-5C1BC49B1D3B.jpeg
acer

Post by acer »

Prsman Your right .There is something special about the manix 2 xl . Really enjoy mine. Out.
prsman

Post by prsman »

acer wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:31 pm
Prsman Your right .There is something special about the manix 2 xl . Really enjoy mine. Out.
Yep. Unreal. More thrilling to handle than a PM2. Two days in and I‘ve put it to work in the yard and garage.

Touched her up with the white rods this morn. Sharper now than when I pulled it outta the box
Soupladel

Post by Soupladel »

I actually have gone for the Manix 2 in S110v and i have to say i do love it.

Now as these forums were down for me most of today i asked over on Bladeforum about honing S110V and it seems the advice there has been that i shouldn't use anything above 600 grit to hone S110V, which would rule out the fine or ultrafine rods.

The question i posed was about refining the factory edge a little as its sharp out the box but maybe just not quite "shaving sharp" most response have said i should get the diamond rods for the sharpmaker and that S110V doesn't like to hold a fine edge as it tends to be a more aggressive carbide led edge that lasts a long time.

Just so i make sure i have a consensus of opinion, not that i disagree (or don't believe) with what has been said on BF, but would you agree that for edge refinement and day to day level honing, would the stock sharp maker be sufficient or should i be looking to get and use diamond rods for it even for day to day use?
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

For years I've thought of the XL as my favorite platform and if I were having to give up knives, I'd hang onto them til the last. They really fit my hand perfectly... but I really don't carry them nearly as much as I do my regular Manix 2's, which also fit my hand perfectly. (I have XXL hands, but my fingers are not huge.) I like lightweight, wire-clipped knives, but I like the extra weight of the G-10 Manix and for some reason prefer it over the ltwt version, maybe the prominent edges on the lightweight FRCP handle.

I do prefer skeletonized liners on the M2, which the S110V version has. (prefer tool steels over S110V) Like others have indicated, there's only 1/16th to 1/8th inch difference between the overall blade or cutting edge length of the XL and your Endura, but the XL feels much bigger in hand or pocket. You really need both sizes of Manix! ;) but if it's going to be a really long time before you get both, it would be great if you could get to a store that has them in stock and try them in hand. I have to drive 50 or 60 miles to do this and almost always buy something there, especially if I try out 10 or 15 Spyderco's while I'm there :D -- not always knives. Luckily they sell shirts and other useful stuff.
Last edited by DougC-3 on Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

DougC-3 wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:58 pm
For years I've thought of the XL as my favorite platform and if I were having to give up knives, I'd hang onto them til the last. They really fit my hand perfectly... but I really don't carry them nearly as much as I do my regular Manix 2's, which also fit my hand perfectly. (I have XXL hands, but my fingers are not huge.) I like lightweight, wire-clipped knives, but I like the extra weight of the G-10 Manix and for some reason prefer it over the ltwt version, maybe the prominent edges on the lightweight FRCP handle.

I do prefer skeletonized liners on the M2, which the S110V version has. (prefer tool steels over S110V) Like others have indicated, there's only 1/16th to 1/8th inch difference between the overall blade or cutting edge length of the XL and your Endura, but the XL feels much bigger in hand or pocket. You really need both ;) but if it's going to be a really long time before you get both, it would be great if you could get to a store that has them in stock and try them in hand. I have to drive 50 or 60 miles to do this but have bought most of my knives from online knife stores.
- Courious: What do you mean by "prominent edges of the FRCP handle"? For me (ymmv of course! :) ) the Manix LW feels noticeble more comfortable in hand than the G10, exactly because the LW has a bit "rounder" edges and first and foremost a smooth, closed back...

- Just to be clear: While the actual blade of the Manix XL is a tad longer than the Endura blade, the Endura actually offers 3mm more cutting edge...
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:15 pm

- Courious: What do you mean by "prominent edges of the FRCP handle"? For me (ymmv of course! :) ) the Manix LW feels noticeble more comfortable in hand than the G10, exactly because the LW has a bit "rounder" edges and first and foremost a smooth, closed back...

- Just to be clear: While the actual blade of the Manix XL is a tad longer than the Endura blade, the Endura actually offers 3mm more cutting edge...
Ha ha, I thought I might get some feedback from you. An eighth inch is approximately the same as 3mm (sorry about the antiquated measures -- at least we don't use "stones" like the Brits :)) and I meant differences in both directions (longer overall and shorter edge) without taking the time to go into a lot of detail. As for the edges I agree that the lightweight is smooth on top and bottom, but if you move your thumb from center of the side of the scale to the edge, you feel the raised rim around the edge of the scale. OK I admit that that's kind of picky -- I have 4 lightweights and I have trouble figuring out why I don't like them as much as the G-10 models. I think I'm not that much of a fan of the bidirectional volcanic grip; I think the grippiness is a little excessive. I've also started sanding down the extreme grippiness of some G-10 models a bit (including my brand new jade M4 XL :eek:) and occasionally grinding off liner gimping. Also, I think I just like the heavier feel in the G-10 model and I can't really feel the open area in the back half of the top when I'm using one.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

DougC-3 wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:53 pm
Wartstein wrote:

Ha ha, I thought I might get some feedback from you. An eighth inch is approximately the same as 3mm (sorry about the antiquated measures -- at least we don't use "stones" like the Brits :)) and I meant differences in both directions (longer overall and shorter edge) without taking the time to go into a lot of detail. As for the edges I agree that the lightweight is smooth on top and bottom, but if you move your thumb from center of the side of the scale to the edge, you feel the raised rim around the edge of the scale. OK I admit that that's kind of picky -- I have 4 lightweights and I have trouble figuring out why I don't like them as much as the G-10 models. I think I'm not that much of a fan of the bidirectional volcanic grip; I think the grippiness is a little excessive. I've also started sanding down the extreme grippiness of some G-10 models a bit (including my brand new jade M4 XL :eek:) and occasionally grinding off liner gimping. Also, I think I just like the heavier feel in the G-10 model and I can't really feel the open area in the back half of the top when I'm using one.

I agree:The "heavier feel" of the G10 Manix feels great in hand, totally rock solid and like 100% quality! And it must be a very comfortable knife in use (I just held, never used one over prolongued time).

I can see now what mean concerning the edges of the Manix LW, but that "rim" is nothing I´d notice in real use whatsoever.
I just found the Manix 2 LW very comfortable in prolongued use (which is something different than frequent use), and closed back FRN/FRCP folders always "nicer" to the hand than open back G10 models in that scenario.

Also I find the bidirectional texturing of the FRCP handle both grippier but still less of a pocket shredder than G10, so "the best of both worlds" for me... :)

But to be clear: This is not a competition between Manix G10 and Manix LW for me!! Both are great models, both have just a bit of a short cutting edge as the only slight con for me, and both have their place. If I did not have enough linered, a bit "heavier" Spydies already, I´d certainly have considered a G10 Manix too. But as it is, the LW is the one for me... :)
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:56 am
DougC-3 wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:53 pm
Wartstein wrote:

I agree:The "heavier feel" of the G10 Manix feels great in hand, totally rock solid and like 100% quality! And it must be a very comfortable knife in use (I just held, never used one over prolongued time).

I can see now what mean concerning the edges of the Manix LW, but that "rim" is nothing I´d notice in real use whatsoever.
I just found the Manix 2 LW very comfortable in prolongued use (which is something different than frequent use), and closed back FRN/FRCP folders always "nicer" to the hand than open back G10 models in that scenario.

Also I find the bidirectional texturing of the FRCP handle both grippier but still less of a pocket shredder than G10, so "the best of both worlds" for me... :)

But to be clear: This is not a competition between Manix G10 and Manix LW for me!! Both are great models, both have just a bit of a short cutting edge as the only slight con for me, and both have their place. If I did not have enough linered, a bit "heavier" Spydies already, I´d certainly have considered a G10 Manix too. But as it is, the LW is the one for me... :)
I really like choils and would gladly sacrifice some cutting edge for that convenience, but really, I use the depression between the handle and ricaso of the Delica and Endura as an "available" choil.

But getting back on topic, if I could have only one knife I would take the Manix XL over the Manix 2. Also they're great for slicing and dicing in the kitchen. The extra blade length makes it easier to keep water out of the pivot.