First Impressions of SPY27 Steel

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Re: First Impressions of SPY27 Steel

Post by sal »

I'm always open to suggestions. Since It's my steel creation, I'm going to exploit it if it performs as I had hoped when I dreamed up the chemistry?

sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JuPaul wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:16 pm
sal wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:00 pm
Of course.

sal
And a great answer!

How's about a SE manix (lw or g10) in spy27?? :D

Best idea ever... :D
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

spyderg wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:55 pm
The closest steel I compare it to, in my use, is Ctsxhp.
oh man... i can feel my arm twisting hard right now. i love my manix 2 lw in xhp.
TkoK83Spy wrote: G10 in that beautiful cobalt blue would be an easy "take my money Sal" ;)
with a dlc blade... i’d be apologizing to my wife when the box shows up in the mail.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
elena86

Post by elena86 »

sal wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:36 pm
I'm always open to suggestions. Since It's my steel creation, I'm going to exploit it if it performs as I had hoped when I dreamed up the chemistry?

sal

I can only dream on a wharnie SE Delica in SPY27 :spyder:
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

sal wrote:

sal
So is Spyderco the holder of the IP of SPY27’s formula, instead of Crucible?
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Dj,

Crucible owns the IP. Spyderco worked with "Bobski" at Crucible to develop the alloy. They were great to work with. The steel is exclusive to Spyderco.

sal
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

I've been very pleased with SPY27 so far. I haven't used it for any sort of crazy cutting, or sharpened it yet.. but the factory edge on my Para 3 LW has held up well for the light-use tasks I've used it for so far and has stayed very sharp. Yesterday, I accidentally slammed my edge down on some metal shelving while slicing open a package..not super hard, but hard enough that I was expecting some damage.. but there was no damage to the edge at all.. pretty impressive.

Also, a note on corrosion resistance.. I carried my SPY27 P3LW most of the last week. It's been hot and very humid in the northeast lately. Between Saturday and Sunday, I hiked a little over 13 miles in ~95 degree weather with the knife in my right front pocket. I don't sweat like some people do, but that's about as sweaty as I get. I hadn't treated my blade with anything, and honestly, didn't even remember to wipe it down or anything post-hike Sat or Sun.. When I thought to check on it though, there was absolutely no sign of any corrosion.. no spotting, staining, or signs of rust at all. YMMV, but as far as I'm concerned, SPY27 is absolutely good to go for my needs when it comes to the corrosion resistance department..

By all accounts, it seems like SPY27 is going to be a great "all-around" steel. My experiences so far back that up. Looking forward to further use! :)
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
SubMicron

Post by SubMicron »

So far my impressions of SPY-27 are extremely positive. The steel seems to like whichever abrasives I choose to use, diamond or ceramic. I've put fine and toothy edges on mine and it likes both.

Through non-abrasive materials such as clean cardboard, its edge retention appears to be noticeably higher than S30V. In my limited, and as controlled as possible cardboard cut testing, its roughly doubling S30V and landing somewhere between M390 and S90V.

More testing is needed, please dont read too deeply into those results.

I absolutely will repurchase this steel if it becomes available in a platform, such as the Lil Native, where I can take it to work, or in something with some real utility to me, including knives in the kitchen.

SPY-27 so far appears to be a really good steel to use and I want more of it.
SubMicron

Post by SubMicron »

Today I got involved with clearing a garage attic which lead to a massive amount of dirty cardboard that had to be reduced. I had my Para3 SPY-27 with me on an edge that I've been EDCing for a little while...

The edge held up very well, for surprisingly long, I hit staples on several occasions with medium amounts of speed behind it on impact. Ultimately the edge was undone while saw cutting through a quadruple think piece and sawing into the staples, and then into a different one on the next attempt.

The damage is very minimal and appears to be simple blunting.
Screenshot_20200721-164122_Gallery.jpg
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

DSH007 wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:08 am
I've been very pleased with SPY27 so far. I haven't used it for any sort of crazy cutting, or sharpened it yet.. but the factory edge on my Para 3 LW has held up well for the light-use tasks I've used it for so far and has stayed very sharp. Yesterday, I accidentally slammed my edge down on some metal shelving while slicing open a package..not super hard, but hard enough that I was expecting some damage.. but there was no damage to the edge at all.. pretty impressive.

Also, a note on corrosion resistance.. I carried my SPY27 P3LW most of the last week. It's been hot and very humid in the northeast lately. Between Saturday and Sunday, I hiked a little over 13 miles in ~95 degree weather with the knife in my right front pocket. I don't sweat like some people do, but that's about as sweaty as I get. I hadn't treated my blade with anything, and honestly, didn't even remember to wipe it down or anything post-hike Sat or Sun.. When I thought to check on it though, there was absolutely no sign of any corrosion.. no spotting, staining, or signs of rust at all. YMMV, but as far as I'm concerned, SPY27 is absolutely good to go for my needs when it comes to the corrosion resistance department..

By all accounts, it seems like SPY27 is going to be a great "all-around" steel. My experiences so far back that up. Looking forward to further use! :)
I agree, corrosion resistance seems great. I oiled mine when I first got it, but I haven't oiled it since. Apparently I dont have especially corrosive body chemistry, but still, over the last month the knife has spent a lot of time in my pocket while i've been outside in super sweaty humid hot conditions. No signs of corrosion at all.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

SubMicron wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:31 pm
Today I got involved with clearing a garage attic which lead to a massive amount of dirty cardboard that had to be reduced. I had my Para3 SPY-27 with me on an edge that I've been EDCing for a little while...

The edge held up very well, for surprisingly long, I hit staples on several occasions with medium amounts of speed behind it on impact. Ultimately the edge was undone while saw cutting through a quadruple think piece and sawing into the staples, and then into a different one on the next attempt.

The damage is very minimal and appears to be simple blunting.

Screenshot_20200721-164122_Gallery.jpg
That's very good to know! I haven't had any edge damage on mine yet, but I haven't dropped or knocked it into anything...yet. ;) These were run around 62hrc, right? Sure seems like spyderco hit the sweet spot for good edge stability while still keeping the steel very easy to sharpen. Looks like I'm gonna have to get the Manix lw now... :rolleyes:
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

I glanced my Para3 Spy 27 off of a rock today, it was a good hit. It was a silly move. It felt like there should be more damage than there is. If one is fussy and really inspecting the blade it looks like dirt more than a chip. With a loupe I can see really minor chipping and scratches on one side only. I am impressed so far. It cuts good too.
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Now that the native 5 frn, manix 2 FRCP, and the para 3 LW are all available in SPY 27, which one does one to get to play with SPY 27?

Any more impressions?
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

GarageBoy wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:29 am
Now that the native 5 frn, manix 2 FRCP, and the para 3 LW are all available in SPY 27, which one does one to get to play with SPY 27?

Any more impressions?

Been asking myself this same question. I'd love to see it in some Seki models, but who knows if/when that will happen. For me, the Native 5 makes the most sense. I haven't pulled the trigger because I feel like the size the Native would put it in direct competition with my Sage 2 for pocket time. This sounds really weird, but I feel guilty when I don't carry that knife.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I think if your main goal is to experience what the steel has to offer, the more cutting edge the better. So a Manix 2 lwt or the upcoming mule team would be my choice.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

I'm still waiting for the Para 3 LW to restock... wonder if the longer wait means more knives are being produced so that the next drop wouldn't run out so fast? Hoping so...
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

GarageBoy wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:29 am

Any more impressions?
I'll get a Native if they're still available after Christmas, because I have other PE Natives with S30V and S90V, so that will let me directly compare with the same handle, blade thickness, and grind. So, whichever one you have another knife of, if you're wanting to do direct comparison. Otherwise, whichever one you want.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

sal wrote:

sal

Can you tell us anything about how it performs in SE yet, or when a SE option will be available and what model?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:58 pm
sal wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:16 pm

sal

Any plans for some serrations with this steel?
Yeah that's what I've been wanting to know is how this steel will perform with TEETH???? XHP turned out to be a very pleasant surprise and I'm hoping that SPY-27 will give a similar performance when tested.

I know it's early but I've also been wondering what some of the sharpening gurus might have to say about this SPY-27?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

sal wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:44 am
Hi Dj,

Crucible owns the IP. Spyderco worked with "Bobski" at Crucible to develop the alloy. They were great to work with. The steel is exclusive to Spyderco.

sal
Hey Mr. Glesser that brings up a question and I know this goes back a few years. But was ATS-55 also a Spyderco exclusive? Because I don't remember it ever being used by any other knife companies other than Spyderco. Or was Spyderco just the only USA knife maker that had access to ATS-55? I still like that particular steel by the way especially for SE models.