First Impressions of SPY27 Steel

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
User avatar
elena86
Member
Posts: 2808
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:59 am
Location: Somewhere in Europe

Re: First Impressions of SPY27 Steel

Postby elena86 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:32 am

I hope this one is not a sprint ... I couldn’t purchase one so far ... I am so frustrated :(
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it " ( Rabindranath Tagore )

Deadboxhero
Member
Posts: 1285
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:35 am

Re: First Impressions of SPY27 Steel

Postby Deadboxhero » Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:17 am

elena86 wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:32 am
I hope this one is not a sprint ... I couldn’t purchase one so far ... I am so frustrated :(

https://www.knivesplus.com/spyderco-par ... 3pcbl.html
Big Brown Bear
[url]https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston[/ur]
Triple B Handmade Knives

User avatar
Sharp Guy
Member
Posts: 5987
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:19 pm
Location: Over here!

Re: First Impressions of SPY27 Steel

Postby Sharp Guy » Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:33 am

Deadboxhero wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:47 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:05 pm
I just spent 45 min in the garage cutting cardboard from my recycling bin into tiny pieces. Had a nice pile on the floor when I stopped. The factory edge held up well and was still going strong. I tested on some phone book paper and it was snagging a little but not bad. Then I whittled on some hardwood. The edge bit into it nicely. Tried the phone book paper again and it was back to slicing it clean. Still shaving arm hair too. I'm not really a good judge of edge retention because I use my knives until they feel dull and then I touch them up on the Sharpmaker or reprofile on the Hapstone if needed. What I did was hardly a scientific test either. But if I can cut up as much cardboard as I just did and it's still going strong then I'm satisfied. I'll be curious to see how it sharpens. I have a feeling it'll be similar to S35VN but that's just a guess at this point. I'll be interested in knowing what others think too. Also curious to know how hard they ran it (Shawn?). Looking forward to using this steel in the Manix 2 LW. My S110V Manix 2 LW probably won't be in my knife collection long after that one comes out :)
https://youtu.be/8mOpYQPICRg
Nice! Thanks!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!

User avatar
elena86
Member
Posts: 2808
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:59 am
Location: Somewhere in Europe

Re: First Impressions of SPY27 Steel

Postby elena86 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:08 am

Deadboxhero wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:17 am
elena86 wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:32 am
I hope this one is not a sprint ... I couldn’t purchase one so far ... I am so frustrated :(

https://www.knivesplus.com/spyderco-par ... 3pcbl.html
Thanx but : it's out of stock and they don't dispatch abroad anyway. Thanks again :spyder:
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it " ( Rabindranath Tagore )

User avatar
sal
Member
Posts: 13806
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:00 pm
Location: Golden, Colorado USA

Re: First Impressions of SPY27 Steel

Postby sal » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:19 am

Hi BigHonu,

Welcome to our forum.

sal

Deadboxhero
Member
Posts: 1285
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:35 am

Re: First Impressions of SPY27 Steel

Postby Deadboxhero » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:04 am

elena86 wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:08 am
Deadboxhero wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:17 am
elena86 wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:32 am
I hope this one is not a sprint ... I couldn’t purchase one so far ... I am so frustrated :(

https://www.knivesplus.com/spyderco-par ... 3pcbl.html


Thanx but : it's out of stock and they don't dispatch abroad anyway. Thanks again :spyder:
https://www.smkw.com/spyderco-para-3-blue
Big Brown Bear
[url]https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston[/ur]
Triple B Handmade Knives

JuPaul
Member
Posts: 3419
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:06 am

Re: First Impressions of SPY27 Steel

Postby JuPaul » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:27 am

elena86 wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:32 am
I hope this one is not a sprint ... I couldn’t purchase one so far ... I am so frustrated :(
https://www.smkw.com/spyderco-para-3-blue
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.

User avatar
p_atrick
Member
Posts: 664
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:35 pm
Location: Boston Area

Re: First Impressions of SPY27 Steel

Postby p_atrick » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:34 am

If I may make a request, could somebody post their thoughts about sharpening the steel. I am most interested in how it performs on water stones, but any information would be appreciated.

BigHonu
Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:51 pm

Re: First Impressions of SPY27 Steel

Postby BigHonu » Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:59 pm

Thanks Sal! Only took 30 years to get my first Spyderco, but now it’s hard to stop! Should have tried them out earlier for sure.

User avatar
sal
Member
Posts: 13806
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:00 pm
Location: Golden, Colorado USA

Re: First Impressions of SPY27 Steel

Postby sal » Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:02 pm

Hi BigHonu,

The paths of our lives do create interesting bends and shifts. Especially as you get older and look back. Most of those shifts are created by new knowledge or events.

sal

The Meat man
Member
Posts: 4261
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:01 pm
Location: Missouri, USA

Re: First Impressions of SPY27 Steel

Postby The Meat man » Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:37 pm

Deadboxhero wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:47 pm
https://youtu.be/8mOpYQPICRg
62 HRC is impressive!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"

Baron Mind
Member
Posts: 378
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:18 pm

Re: First Impressions of SPY27 Steel

Postby Baron Mind » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:20 pm

62 hrc is phenomenal! Best case scenario. Looks like Spyderco really stepped up and nailed this one out of the park.

I got mine today, was planning on taking it straight to the stones, but the factory edge is insane. So I'll put a little use on it before i go and grind that bad boy away.

Baron Mind
Member
Posts: 378
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:18 pm

Re: First Impressions of SPY27 Steel

Postby Baron Mind » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:23 pm

Also, let me just say, the Para 3 LW platform, the way it has been designed and executed, is a spectacular knife. Feels like a feather in hand, but doesn't feel cheap in the slightest. The action and lock up is so crisp and smooth. Beautiful work.

User avatar
pantagana23
Member
Posts: 244
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:52 am
Location: Croatia

Re: First Impressions of SPY27 Steel

Postby pantagana23 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:52 am

Is SPY27 going to replace S30V in Golden models?

From what I see, this could be a perspective replacement.

User avatar
p_atrick
Member
Posts: 664
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:35 pm
Location: Boston Area

Re: First Impressions of SPY27 Steel

Postby p_atrick » Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:00 pm

pantagana23 wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:52 am
Is SPY27 going to replace S30V in Golden models?

From what I see, this could be a perspective replacement.
That's an interesting question. I'd like to know what the criteria would be in making this decision. I think price would be at the top of the list. Currently lots of S30V is being used by Spyderco and Benchmade (I'm sure other companies use it as well). I am sure that enough is being produced that Crucible can take advantage of economies of scale, which probably means a good deal for Spyderco. As SPY27 is a brand new steel, and I am sure there were lots of up-front R&D costs for Spyderco. So to really get your money's worth, you need to stick with it for the long haul. Using SPY27 for all of the Golden models would certainly make sense. However, this is a proprietary steel. Given the demand for S30V, I am sure Crucible can justify setting aside capacity for this one steel. SPY27 won't have the same demand, so Crucible probably can't give Spyderco the same deal (unless Spyderco makes a massive order, but that would be putting a lot of eggs in a single basket). Then again, maybe the grinding SPY27 (in terms of abrasives and time spent) will make up for any price increase from Crucible. To be clear, everything I mentioned above is complete conjecture. I have no idea how any of this stuff really works, but I find it interesting. I've often wondered what it would take to switch from S30V (which is a great all around steel). My money was on S45Vn since Sal referred to it as a CQI of S35Vn, but then SPY27 was announced. I am interested to see how all of this unfolds.

JuPaul
Member
Posts: 3419
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:06 am

Re: First Impressions of SPY27 Steel

Postby JuPaul » Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:52 pm

p_atrick wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:00 pm
pantagana23 wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:52 am
Is SPY27 going to replace S30V in Golden models?

From what I see, this could be a perspective replacement.
That's an interesting question. I'd like to know what the criteria would be in making this decision. I think price would be at the top of the list. Currently lots of S30V is being used by Spyderco and Benchmade (I'm sure other companies use it as well). I am sure that enough is being produced that Crucible can take advantage of economies of scale, which probably means a good deal for Spyderco. As SPY27 is a brand new steel, and I am sure there were lots of up-front R&D costs for Spyderco. So to really get your money's worth, you need to stick with it for the long haul. Using SPY27 for all of the Golden models would certainly make sense. However, this is a proprietary steel. Given the demand for S30V, I am sure Crucible can justify setting aside capacity for this one steel. SPY27 won't have the same demand, so Crucible probably can't give Spyderco the same deal (unless Spyderco makes a massive order, but that would be putting a lot of eggs in a single basket). Then again, maybe the grinding SPY27 (in terms of abrasives and time spent) will make up for any price increase from Crucible. To be clear, everything I mentioned above is complete conjecture. I have no idea how any of this stuff really works, but I find it interesting. I've often wondered what it would take to switch from S30V (which is a great all around steel). My money was on S45Vn since Sal referred to it as a CQI of S35Vn, but then SPY27 was announced. I am interested to see how all of this unfolds.
Certainly we're seeing some of the R&D costs in the current pricing with the spy27 para3 lw at $140, compared to say, the rex45 version at $122.50. I'm definitely curious to see where the prices go from here.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.

User avatar
dj moonbat
Member
Posts: 1358
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:58 am
Location: Sunny SoCal

Re: First Impressions of SPY27 Steel

Postby dj moonbat » Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:59 pm

JuPaul wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:52 pm
p_atrick wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:00 pm
pantagana23 wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:52 am
Is SPY27 going to replace S30V in Golden models?

From what I see, this could be a perspective replacement.
That's an interesting question. I'd like to know what the criteria would be in making this decision. I think price would be at the top of the list. Currently lots of S30V is being used by Spyderco and Benchmade (I'm sure other companies use it as well). I am sure that enough is being produced that Crucible can take advantage of economies of scale, which probably means a good deal for Spyderco. As SPY27 is a brand new steel, and I am sure there were lots of up-front R&D costs for Spyderco. So to really get your money's worth, you need to stick with it for the long haul. Using SPY27 for all of the Golden models would certainly make sense. However, this is a proprietary steel. Given the demand for S30V, I am sure Crucible can justify setting aside capacity for this one steel. SPY27 won't have the same demand, so Crucible probably can't give Spyderco the same deal (unless Spyderco makes a massive order, but that would be putting a lot of eggs in a single basket). Then again, maybe the grinding SPY27 (in terms of abrasives and time spent) will make up for any price increase from Crucible. To be clear, everything I mentioned above is complete conjecture. I have no idea how any of this stuff really works, but I find it interesting. I've often wondered what it would take to switch from S30V (which is a great all around steel). My money was on S45Vn since Sal referred to it as a CQI of S35Vn, but then SPY27 was announced. I am interested to see how all of this unfolds.
Certainly we're seeing some of the R&D costs in the current pricing with the spy27 para3 lw at $140, compared to say, the rex45 version at $122.50. I'm definitely curious to see where the prices go from here.
Hmm. When I heard Spyderco had Crucible make them some steel, I assumed they intended to make it one of their standard steels. I’m definitely less interested at those kinds of prices.

BornIn1500
Member
Posts: 501
Joined: Tue May 08, 2018 10:04 pm

Re: First Impressions of SPY27 Steel

Postby BornIn1500 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:02 pm

JuPaul wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:52 pm

Certainly we're seeing some of the R&D costs in the current pricing with the spy27 para3 lw at $140, compared to say, the rex45 version at $122.50. I'm definitely curious to see where the prices go from here.
But what makes it confusing is that while the Para 3 is up $42 from using SPY27, the Mule in SPY27 is lower than many other previous Mules and that's using even more of this steel than a Para3. I'm not making sense of it.

JuPaul
Member
Posts: 3419
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:06 am

Re: First Impressions of SPY27 Steel

Postby JuPaul » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:07 pm

dj moonbat wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:59 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:52 pm
p_atrick wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:00 pm
pantagana23 wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:52 am
Certainly we're seeing some of the R&D costs in the current pricing with the spy27 para3 lw at $140, compared to say, the rex45 version at $122.50. I'm definitely curious to see where the prices go from here.
Hmm. When I heard Spyderco had Crucible make them some steel, I assumed they intended to make it one of their standard steels. I’m definitely less interested at those kinds of prices.
Well presumably the more of it they use, the cheaper it'd get. And once the R&D expenses are offset, they could lower the price as well. I would guess that spyderco hopes to make these competitive with s30v models, at least.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.

User avatar
pantagana23
Member
Posts: 244
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:52 am
Location: Croatia

Re: First Impressions of SPY27 Steel

Postby pantagana23 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:27 am

JuPaul wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:07 pm
dj moonbat wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:59 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:52 pm
p_atrick wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:00 pm

Certainly we're seeing some of the R&D costs in the current pricing with the spy27 para3 lw at $140, compared to say, the rex45 version at $122.50. I'm definitely curious to see where the prices go from here.
Hmm. When I heard Spyderco had Crucible make them some steel, I assumed they intended to make it one of their standard steels. I’m definitely less interested at those kinds of prices.
Well presumably the more of it they use, the cheaper it'd get. And once the R&D expenses are offset, they could lower the price as well. I would guess that spyderco hopes to make these competitive with s30v models, at least.
This.
If Spyderco is to justify development cost of a steel exclusive to them, should be pushing it to more models so the price drops.
SPY27, however, needs to be proven and recognized as a well rounded steel first.


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Joshcrutchley1, Majestic-12 [Bot], Mushroom, nerdlock, p_atrick, timlara, Wright.88 and 61 guests