Knife Steel EDC Performance Rankings

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Trinity300

Re: Performance Rankings: Knife Steels

Post by Trinity300 »

Added Vanax. Will work on adding some quantitative toughness (ft-lbs) ratings next.
araneae

Post by araneae »

I enjoy Larrin's scientific approach much more than compilations of hearsay, random suppositions and second hand data poorly strung together. Weird thread.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
JohnDoe99

Post by JohnDoe99 »

araneae wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:32 pm
I enjoy Larrin's scientific approach much more than compilations of hearsay, random suppositions and second hand data poorly strung together. Weird thread.
Is the guy a troll? Weird to group 440c, 420hc, and then D2 together as "poor." Earlier he had ZDP-189 with H1 as "poor."
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I think he's just a guy who got too excited reading a bunch of different stuff on the internet and tried to compile his own rankings based on all the other stuff he'd seen out there. 31 edits later, he's still modifying his list based on the discussion here and other sources, which is good.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

JohnDoe99 wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:15 pm
araneae wrote:
Is the guy a troll? Weird to group 440c, 420hc, and then D2 together as "poor." Earlier he had ZDP-189 with H1 as "poor."
I think he's just a burgeoning steel junkie. :)

I was a little the same way when I first joined, wanting lists and rankings. I learned later that it's a lot more complicated than a simple list.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

It is kinda a weird list, but I don’t think we need to alienate or ostracize; better if we could have profitable discussions and incorporate a new member into our forum.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Trinity300

Post by Trinity300 »

If a manufacturer lists KV/Ku (J), is that indicative of the finished product or is it measured before it has been heat treated like Brinell hardness?
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

Trinity300 wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:34 am
If a manufacturer lists KV/Ku (J), is that indicative of the finished product or is it measured before it has been heat treated like Brinell hardness?
Perhaps if you linked to the datasheet you are trying to interpret someone could help you better.
http://www.KnifeSteelNerds.com - Steel Metallurgy topics related to knives
araneae

Post by araneae »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:39 pm
It is kinda a weird list, but I don’t think we need to alienate or ostracize; better if we could have profitable discussions and incorporate a new member into our forum.
I'm all for productive conversation, but this OP is misleading and presents what seems to be mostly opinion based rankings that some steel newby might interpret as fact. As Sal has often reminded us, steels are all good, just different. There is no "best" steel and any attempt to declare one (or declare others poor) is just an opinion. It's like trying to proclaim 1 car the best performing vehicle. What are you doing with that vehicle? Hauling rocks, racing, taking kids to the pool? It's an opinion as is this original post.

It also appears that rather than present a finished product, we have a much changed (31 times in it's short existence) rough draft of a list.Rather than proclaiming winners, an open discussion on steel qualities might be more useful.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Trinity300

Post by Trinity300 »

The Meat man wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:38 pm
JohnDoe99 wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:15 pm
araneae wrote:
I think he's just a burgeoning steel junkie. :)

I was a little the same way when I first joined, wanting lists and rankings. I learned later that it's a lot more complicated than a simple list.
I just ordered three more Ganzo knives, two in 440C and one in D2, and the order before that was a CJRB Feldspar (small) in D2. I know they won't perform as well for EDC compared to other steel if I were to push them to the extreme (generally I don't), but they are still steel and do the job (especially for my casual use). For example, other steels will perform better in different areas like cutting longer before going dull. I can recognize that without only being limited to the excellent performers. That being said, I think my next purchase will be an American Lawman, because I don't have one yet, which happens to come in an excellent steel, S35VN.
Larrin wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:39 am
Trinity300 wrote:
Perhaps if you linked to the datasheet you are trying to interpret someone could help you better.
Is this any good?

EDIT: Actually, I just remembered I ordered a TRM Neutron after the Feldspar. Oh well, my point still stands.
Last edited by Trinity300 on Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

Trinity300 wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:55 am
Larrin wrote:
Trinity300 wrote:
Is this any good?
That data is not for H1 steel.
Trinity300

Post by Trinity300 »

Larrin wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:33 am
Trinity300 wrote:
Larrin wrote:
Trinity300 wrote:
Is this any good?
I thought it was weird they had two H1s listed. Is the other one accurate?
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

Trinity300 wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:40 am
Larrin wrote:
Trinity300 wrote:
Larrin wrote:

Is this any good?
No. Those are carbide materials.
Trinity300

Post by Trinity300 »

Larrin wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:45 am
Trinity300 wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:40 am
Larrin wrote:
Trinity300 wrote:

Is this any good?
No. Those are carbide materials.
Well, one source crossed off then. PMing some other sources to keep the forum less cluttered.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

You can get the data sheet off the manufacturers website. That's the primary source for the information. You just go to the actual maker of the steel.

Examples:
http://www.crucible.com/PDFs/DataSheets ... 202010.pdf
http://www.crucible.com/PDFs/DataSheets ... v12010.pdf
https://www.uddeholm.com/files/PB_Uddeh ... nglish.pdf
https://www.materials.sandvik/en/materi ... el/14c28n/

Actually, if you wanted your list to be more useful to more people, direct links to the data sheets for each steel would be a good thing to add. You can just find and link to the actual manufacturer data on their own web site. So you want the sites of the actual steel manufacturers, like Bohler, Hitachi, Crucible, Sandvik. etc.

Be warned that this project has pretty much already been "won" by Z knives. He even has a smartphone app for quick reference (https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... b&hl=en_US). There are always gaps to be filled, though.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

araneae wrote:
I could not agree more. This thread really does abuse the hard work of others here, both scientists and makers. The thread is pathetic.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Trinity300

Post by Trinity300 »

TomAiello wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:11 am
You can get the data sheet off the manufacturers website. That's the primary source for the information. You just go to the actual maker of the steel.

Examples:
http://www.crucible.com/PDFs/DataSheets ... 202010.pdf
http://www.crucible.com/PDFs/DataSheets ... v12010.pdf
https://www.uddeholm.com/files/PB_Uddeh ... nglish.pdf

Actually, if you wanted your list to be more useful to more people, direct links to the data sheets for each steel would be a good thing to add. You can just find and link to the actual manufacturer data on their own web site. So you want the sites of the actual steel manufacturers, like Bohler, Hitachi, Crucible, etc.
I have been using those mainly. I am just looking to fill the holes. Most data sheets don't list CATRA TCC results and some don't list Charpy impact test results. One problem I found is I can't directly compare the impact results because they are not standardized. Crucible uses a a full size C-notch specimen. Larrin said he uses a 1/4 size unnotched. Zapp uses 12.7mm notch radius. Carpenter uses a standard V-notch.
Last edited by Trinity300 on Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

I get the impression Trinity300 is a burgeoning steel junkie / knife knut and I think a lot of us can relate.

Over time (decades for some of us :) :( ) those of us that have been seriously perusing this type of knowledge have realized that the information available on-line tends to be more misleading than not. Through working directly with metallurgists and project engineers and doing my own testing it's also become apparent that even the manufacturer data sheets can be misleading and usually incomplete. Additionally, the ability to discern differences in steel can be almost entirely muted by heat treat and geometry variations when using various finished knives for comparison.

I applaud Trinity300's enthusiasm and I appreciate anyone that is interested in learning more about knives and knife steels.

I would enthusiastically encourage Trinity300 to look deeply into the unprecedented work recently completed by Larrin and Shawn (Deadboxhero). It is by far and away the best and most complete source for knife steel comparison information available today. One aspect that makes Larrin's data set different, more accurate and more informative is the fact that the very large comparison group was done with exactly equal geometry samples and other necessary tight controls that ensure the comparison data is truly comparable. This is very different and far more informative than comparing purchased knives of various steels. The testing was a huge undertaking performed by a metallurgist with help from an extremely dedicated custom knife maker and we're all fortunate to have the opportunity to benefit and learn from it.
I think there's absolutely nothing wrong with making a list of favorites and it doesn't really matter what a person's criteria might be. But, ranking steel qualities from one steel to the next can only really be done by removing the geometry and H/T variables. Anyone with a deep interest in these things should consider becoming a member of Knife Steel Nerds on Patreon and get all the information Larrin is providing.

CK
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
Trinity300

Post by Trinity300 »

VooDooChild wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:06 pm
Really its all good. Makes sense the most balanced steels might come out on top. But I wont call them better.
Inherently better? No. But better suited to a certain task? Yes. That's one reason so many different steels exist.
Xplorer wrote: I get the impression Trinity300 is a burgeoning steel junkie / knife knut and I think a lot of us can relate.

Over time (decades for some of us :) :( ) those of us that have been seriously perusing this type of knowledge have realized that the information available on-line tends to be more misleading than not. Through working directly with metallurgists and project engineers and doing my own testing it's also become apparent that even the manufacturer data sheets can be misleading and usually incomplete. Additionally, the ability to discern differences in steel can be almost entirely muted by heat treat and geometry variations when using various finished knives for comparison.

I applaud Trinity300's enthusiasm and I appreciate anyone that is interested in learning more about knives and knife steels.

I would enthusiastically encourage Trinity300 to look deeply into the unprecedented work recently completed by Larrin and Shawn (Deadboxhero). It is by far and away the best and most complete source for knife steel comparison information available today. One aspect that makes Larrin's data set different, more accurate and more informative is the fact that the very large comparison group was done with exactly equal geometry samples and other necessary tight controls that ensure the comparison data is truly comparable. This is very different and far more informative than comparing purchased knives of various steels. The testing was a huge undertaking performed by a metallurgist with help from an extremely dedicated custom knife maker and we're all fortunate to have the opportunity to benefit and learn from it.
I think there's absolutely nothing wrong with making a list of favorites and it doesn't really matter what a person's criteria might be. But, ranking steel qualities from one steel to the next can only really be done by removing the geometry and H/T variables. Anyone with a deep interest in these things should consider becoming a member of Knife Steel Nerds on Patreon and get all the information Larrin is providing.

CK
Haha, I was a gun nut... I guess I still am (anyone who has an FFL probably is), but I don't feel compelled to collect a bunch anymore. I scaled down, and I try not to keep more than a couple for a specific purpose at this time: EDC, hunting, home defense, etc (I figure it's good to have a back up ;)). I realized knives are so much cheaper to collect so that's how that began :D

I agree that Larrin has the highest sample set I have seen while keeping most of the variables constant, which is perfect for comparison purposes. I'll probably end up just using his Charpy impact chart to estimate the toughness for a lot of these steels (no table available). Hardness and geometry have a big impact. A manufacturer can definitely max out a steel's potential to what they want, by changing them. If Crucible lists three different CATRA results at three different HRcs, I pick the middle one to use as a generalization.
Last edited by Trinity300 on Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Trinity300 wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:41 am

Larren
It's Larrin.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives