Pac Salt 2 vs. 1

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
brj

Pac Salt 2 vs. 1

Post by brj »

Got to say the 2 is a worthy successor. Build quality is outstanding, gone are the slight gaps between the handles and the lock and there is only the tiniest amount of vertical lock rock (both a bit annoying on the first gen).

The 2nd stays more secure in hand due to the bi-directional texturing; on the downside, it also rubs more aggressively against skin if I carry 3 o'clock IWB swimming trunks / shorts (which is my preferred carry method during summer).

I kinda expected the new handle to be a bit fatter in the hand but they are actually quite comparable. Not fully visible here, but the innards of the 2 have tiny openings in the backspacer and under the lanyard hole to allow for full drainage. Of course, the 1st gen does not require any of that smart engineering because that's just one big lump of FRN ;)

The new FRN has a more 'plasticky' quality that I need adjusting to. I also still prefer the handle shape of the 1st gen (& the barrel bolt) as it feels more versatile in use.

Now I only need a PE reground as close to a zero grind as possible and I'm set :)

Last edited by brj on Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
cabfrank

Re: Pac Salt 2 vs. 1

Post by cabfrank »

Thanks for your impressions. You have a great ensemble there. I really love the Salt 1 series, but I am very eagerly anticipating going back to work soon, and getting a Pac Salt 2. It has big shoes to fill, but everything I have read about it agrees with you. It should be a worthy successor.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I own 6 Pac Salts and am not going to purchase one Pac Salt2. That Endura4 style handle is just ...meh. I hate how it looks and is longer that it needs to be.Speaking of lock rock, all my Pac Salts are... “rock” solid in the lock. These days I am hunting a SE Pac Salt with black blade.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

Nice comparison. I own both and like them both the same.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

elena86 wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:04 am
I own 6 Pac Salts and am not going to purchase one Pac Salt2. That Endura4 style handle is just ...meh. I hate how it looks and is longer that it needs to be.Speaking of lock rock, all my Pac Salts are... “rock” solid in the lock. These days I am hunting a SE Pac Salt with black blade.
Marius is right, the E4 / Pac Salt 2 handle indeed is a bit longer than the E3 / Pac Salt 1 handle (see comparison pic below)
The amount of "knife in the pocket" is about the same though, since the E4 carries a bit higher.

I personally love the E4 handle, for me it is a noticeable step up ergonomicwise over the E3 style and more stable in hand while still being a bit "slimmer". Still: The E3 style handle is also very good and certainly good enough for that I won´t replace my Pac Salt 1 with a "2" just for the (subjectively!) better handle.
But it is good to know: Should I ever loose my Pac Salt 1, there is an even better (and even a bit lighter) version of it waiting for me with the Pac Salt 2 :)

Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:09 am
elena86 wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:04 am
Marius is right, the E4 / Pac Salt 2 handle indeed is a bit longer than the E3 / Pac Salt 1 handle (see comparison pic below)
The amount of "knife in the pocket" is about the same though, since the E4 carries a bit higher.

I personally love the E4 handle, for me it is a noticeable step up ergonomicwise over the E3 style and more stable in hand while still being a bit "slimmer". Still: The E3 style handle is also very good and certainly good enough for that I won´t replace my Pac Salt 1 with a "2" just for the (subjectively!) better handle.
But it is good to know: Should I ever loose my Pac Salt 1, there is an even better (and even a bit lighter) version of it waiting for me with the Pac Salt 2 :)

Well, I might change my mind and buy one but not before Lance( aka Surfingringo) releases a full review. When it comes to "salties" he is my guru so.... :)
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
brj

Post by brj »

I'm no Lance but still think you should give it a try ;)
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

As elena86 said above, my Pac Salt 1 is absolutely rock solid, no play at all. I hope most of the 2s will be that way as well. I do like the fact that it is slightly lighter, although the 1 is plenty light.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Is there a reason we don't get Salts in FFG? Is H1 not a good candidate for that grind for some reason?
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I have one in the mail. I'd really love to see an Endura5 with a smoothed out Police4 like handle, but the E4 grew on me. Until a Manix2 LW LC200n Salt appears we'll all have to make due :)
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

kennethsime wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:53 pm
Is there a reason we don't get Salts in FFG? Is H1 not a good candidate for that grind for some reason?
From what I remember reading it is very hard to work with/flat grind.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

kennethsime wrote:
Yes there is. Flat grinding is done one side at a time. H-1 work hardens as the first side is ground, which makes the second side very difficult to grind in a production setting. Hollow grinding is done both sides at the same time, neatly avoiding this problem.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Oh hey, just remembered a question. Does the Pacific Salt 2 have full liners, or just metal inserts to receive the clip screws (like on the Manix LW)?
James Y

Post by James Y »

Bill1170 wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:58 pm
Oh hey, just remembered a question. Does the Pacific Salt 2 have full liners, or just metal inserts to receive the clip screws (like on the Manix LW)?
Hi, Bill.

AFAIK, the Pacific Salt 2 is linerless. Although I don’t have a Pacific Salt 2 yet, my Salt 2 and Tasman 2 are both linerless. I believe that all the FRN Salts are linerless.

Jim
brj

Post by brj »

From what I've seen, all FRN salts are indeed linerless
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I started making a huge post in this thread and deleted all of it, because honestly it has been some time since I handled an Endura 4 and I didn't want to make any false claims, so rather than giving an opinion I'll ask you guys about yours...

On the E4 handle, are you positioning your middle finger into that center finger groove?

That's the entire issue I have with either of these knives, there's a sort of "indexing" that happens on this grip where it's only comfortable if I get my hand in just the right spot. On my Spyderhawk (E3/Pacific 1 handle) that center groove is wider and I can almost get my middle and ring finger into that groove, and it's somewhat comfortable that way, but my issue with that grip is that it also puts my hand pretty much at the butt end of the grip which is the opposite of where I tend to want to hold a knife. It does make my thumb more comfortable on the thumb ramp, but I really hate the distance between my index finger and the edge, and that's already an issue with back locks and the ricasso/kick so this grip just exaggerates that.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
brj

Post by brj »

For me, the main issue with the E4 handle is that it's more or less 'forcing' my hand into a pre-determined grip, with the forefinger and middle finger in the first groove, and the ring finger in the middle groove. That's pretty comfortable but it's also the only grip that works for me. On the E3 handle, I can either have forefinger and middle finger in the first groove (for additional control) or forefinger in first groove and middle and ring fingers in the middle groove (which feels better when forcefully cutting). I also like the volcano grip better (and the barrel bolt too).
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

brj wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:38 am
For me, the main issue with the E4 handle is that it's more or less 'forcing' my hand into a pre-determined grip, with the forefinger and middle finger in the first groove, and the ring finger in the middle groove. That's pretty comfortable but it's also the only grip that works for me. On the E3 handle, I can either have forefinger and middle finger in the first groove (for additional control) or forefinger in first groove and middle and ring fingers in the middle groove (which feels better when forcefully cutting). I also like the volcano grip better (and the barrel bolt too).

Same here. The E4 really loves two fingers in the first groove. Once I came to terms with this I enjoyed the knife much more, but would still love to see a more neutral handle like the P4.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Bill1170 wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:55 pm
kennethsime wrote:
Yes there is. Flat grinding is done one side at a time. H-1 work hardens as the first side is ground, which makes the second side very difficult to grind in a production setting. Hollow grinding is done both sides at the same time, neatly avoiding this problem.
Ah, that makes sense. I would love a Salt 2 or Pac Salt 2 with an FFG blade because it would be so light!
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
carrot

Post by carrot »

I have to say I still prefer the 1 but in the end it does not matter, the 2 is very good and offers new tradeoffs, like you said, more sticky in hand but also more aggressive IWB. I am mostly just happy that Spyderco pursues this line of rust-proof knives as there's nothing else I'd rather sweaty carry in the dead of summer, whether it be on a boat or on dry land.