Form vs. Function

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Form vs. Function?

I value function over aesthetics.
56%
I value aesthetics over function.
1%
I value function and aesthetics equally.
43%

Total votes: 98

Surfingringo

Form vs. Function

Post by Surfingringo »

This is a question that has always interested me and I know that everyone has a slightly different perspective so I thought it would be nice to start a discussion here. In the world of knives there are knives that function well and there are knives that are aesthetically pleasing (subjective I know). Sometimes a knife is both...sometimes neither. I’m sure we can all agree that we would prefer a knife to be both highly functional and pleasing to the eye. That’s not the question though. The question is which one do you prioritize?

If you are looking to buy a new knife (or even to design one) do you gravitate towards one that is breathtakingly beautiful but might have some performance shortcomings or to one that is built to perform at the highest level at the expense of being less pleasing to the eye? If something has to be sacrificed would you rather put up with a poor performer or an ugly knife? I tend to always go for function. What I’ve found over the years is if a tool performs well then my perception about its beauty will quickly change. On the other hand, no matter how beautiful a knife might be, my perception of its poor performance will never change.

I think the Spyderco forum is a perfect place for this discussion. I have never found Spydercos “odd” looking but many do. It is also a common story to hear someone on here say that they always thought Spydercos were funny looking until they got one and started carrying and using it and their perception about beauty changed.

It’s an interesting discussion because if we dig deep enough we have to examine how we come about our perceptions about beauty to begin with. I think subconsciously most of us see beauty in functionality. This can be seen whether we are admiring the opposite sex or a sports car. Most of us don’t have engineering or physics degrees but it’s probably not a coincidence that the sports car lines and curves that we commonly find “sexy” usually happen to be the most aerodynamic.

Maybe the same can be said of knives. Maybe if we don’t see beauty in a high performance design it’s because we don’t yet understand what it’s capable of. Maybe that’s why perceptions commonly seem to change on some Spydercos after a bit of use. What do you guys think?
Evil D

Re: Form vs. Function

Post by Evil D »

I had to vote for liking both but if it came down to one or the other then function always wins, I have no use for knives that are pretty but aren't useful. There is beauty in function, but I definitely prefer to also like the looks too, why not?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

If you saw my 20 year old Toyota Tacoma, you could guess the answer to my question. Frankly I still like how it looks (and wish Toyota didn't make the Tacoma the same size the old Tundra used to be), but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. With 300,000 miles it is still humming along and gets me everywhere I want to go and there is beauty in that.

So function first, absolutely. The Manix sure looked weird, but once I got one in my hand, it became one of my favorite knives. And strangely enough, I now find the appearance attractive as well. I am happy and appreciate when things look nice. And it took time for me to learn that keeping myself looking decent (if not sharp) had lots of advantages.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

function wins for me, but (sort of) just barely.

ugly cool has always been something i appreciated. that kind of works out well when you like knives that were designed with function over form in mind.

my favorite knives are preferred for their function over aesthetics, but i also love the way they look. i’ve also found that, when a tool performs well and is comfortable, you develop an appreciation for it that eventually grows to include loving how it looks. otherwise, we wouldn’t be posting pictures of knives that look like they were “designed in the dark.”
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
SG89

Post by SG89 »

All spydies are designed from the edge out. So we are already getting a top performer in terms of function. If it has a nice looking handle that's just icing on the cake. FFG is what matters most to me.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I think everyone prioritizes aesthetics just a little bit. (Whether they want to admit it or not is another thing ;))

A knife's aesthetics is the driving force behind collecting for me. When I'm using a knife, aesthetics mean absolutely nothing and of course, function is my priority.
Last edited by Mushroom on Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Nick :bug-red
James Y

Post by James Y »

With knives, I prefer function over aesthetics. That’s why I own more Spyderco and Victorinox knives over any others. And to me, if something proves highly functional, like Spydies, it carries its own type of aesthetic. I’ve heard people call Spyderco knives functional but ugly. I disagree with the ugly part. IMO, some of the best-looking knives happen to be Spydercos.

Jim
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Function.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Mike Slayer

Post by Mike Slayer »

If I couldn’t have both function wins every time. If both wasn’t an option then function wins. I carry a Spydiechef and it is the perfect melding of form and function.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

There is beauty in function.
BigHonu

Post by BigHonu »

I value both in a knife equally. The aesthetic will mean I will more likely pick it up to use, the function ensures that I enjoy using it.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

They're definitely both important to me. Of course I want a tool that works well for me, and I won't keep a knife that doesn't. But I do have to look at it and I like appreciating the design, the color, etc. every time I take it out. That's one thing I love about all my micarta and terotuf scales - they look great, they allow me to personalize my knives, and functionally they’re incredible. The best knives, imo, are a marriage of both form and function, which is why I like spyderco knives so much. Even if you don't think they're beautiful, you can't deny that they're interesting, and their looks are unique in the knife world. But some knives - Deacon's gorgeous Kiwis come to mind - just make me happy to admire, even though I have no idea how they actually function since I've never owned one (but I'd love to).
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

If a knife, gun, or car doesn't function satisfactorily, I don't want it.

If a knife, gun, or car is ugly, I don't want it.

This is 2020, there are spectacular options for every person's requirements and taste. Why settle when you can get what you want?
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Function.

But the Glessers hardly short us on the form of things.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'd be curious to see how this poll would come out with a different brand group. I pick my ZT's (for example) mostly on form, but my Spyderco's on function.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

The question was which matters more, so I chose function. Aesthetics matter to me, but they are in second place by a wide margin.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

As William Morris said:

“Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful.”

I will buy a knife for it’s looks alone, & for function alone, but it’s much more likely that both boxes have to be ticked - it were either/or I would have far more knives than I do.
Mattysc42

Post by Mattysc42 »

A knife has to be functional for me to buy or willingly use it, but I won’t buy a knife if it isn’t aesthetically pleasing to me, regardless of functionality, unless I’m solely after a steel I want to test. PM2 being a prime example of one I only buy or use for the steel. The Shaman, Manix XL, Caribbean Leaf are by far my top 3 favorite Spyderco designs both functionally and aesthetically. Outside of Spyderco, I love several of Ray Laconico’s designs, particularly the Gemini and Keen. I definitely love spearpoints and leafblades.
BRING ON THE MANIX XL SPRINTS AND EXCLUSIVES! And 10v or K390ify the Golden lineup, please.

Top 5 folders I’ve owned: Serrated Caribbean Leaf, Shaman, Manix XL, ZDP-189/CF Caly 3.5, Native LW.
Top 5 steels I’ve owned: LC200N, K390, CPM S90V, M390, CPM REX45.
Top 3 steels I want more of: M390 class, A11 class (including K390), CPM REX45.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Desing is a very personal thing.

IMO, Medford knives are ungly as sin not very functional.
Titanium boutique knives like Olamic can be pretty, but when they are ,,clean,, without any damasteel timascus anodized BS rainbow colours.
Like, this is nice and functional

This is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much, oh my eyes

Outside Spyderco, I think Chris Reeve has some best symbiosis between form and function.

I mean, if you really like something, you are going to buy it no matter how useless it is going to be. And, if you think that some product performs really good, you are not going to care that much how it looks.
You are way cooler in Mercedes, but Skoda takes you anywhere for less money.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I've learned to trust my "handsight" over my "eyesight" when it comes to tools ;)

That said, my quest to build a damasteel Shaman continues, haha!

Maybe that can be summed up as "finding the function first, then making it pretty".
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!