Foiled again!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Robishere

Foiled again!

Post by Robishere »

Well There I was, leaving Wal Mart and saw a guy cursing a knotted piece of rope on his bedrails trying to tie something down. All I had in my pocket was a titanium Chaparral Spyderco.

I planned on leaping over a row of shopping carts, dodging a car going one way, sliding over the next cars hood, stealthing under a couple pickup trucks, and finishing with a backward flip ending in the crouching tiger position (maybe rescuing a child in the process somehow) and cutting the offending rope knot off for him....

Alas I could not. My knife was not Tactical. It was not a tanto or serrated, had no saw on the back, no finger grooves or knuckles built in, no glass breaker or seat belt cutter, and a distinct lack of black plastic.

I was forced to walk over calmly and offer him my pocket knife which he thanked me for and cut the knot out. Then I put my bag in the seat of my truck and went home.

The fact I had a normal knife which is “too heavy” for its size and not a lightweight limited me to what I could do as did the fact that it was not a “tactical” knife and means it will not allow me to do “tactical” things when I grocery shop.

**** Spyderco! Where does a guy buy Cold Steel knives? Maybe then I could out perform Bruce Willis when I go for an oil change.
38E922A1-7A93-43E0-9598-68C98CC06A4B.jpeg
“Putting fancy thoughts in a woman’s head is like putting lace on a bowling ball.....no good can come of it.” - Archie Bunker.
Naperville

Re: Foiled again!

Post by Naperville »

I take it you will not be picking up a Spyderco YoJumbo, which is one of the best tactical knives to hit the market in a while?

In 2020, I'll be buying my second Spyderco Province and second Spyderco Sustain and sharpening the top swedge on both. OOPS!

Oh, and I have plenty of Cold Steel to go around too...
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

You need to track down a Warrior on secondary market - https://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco- ... BK-5--8226. You should probably grab a Jump Master and an Aqua Salt in the mean time. Either the Matriarch or a the all black, full SE Pacific Salt 2 would be a good supplemental folder. Actually, just get both of those folders and carry both in a pockets on opposite sides of your body. You never know when you'll need to use your weak hand to defend yourself from someone grabbing your strong hand. Don't forget your ARK neck knife either.
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

sal

Post by sal »

Hi Robishere,

You're a funny guy.

"Life without humor is no fun".

sal
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

the only thing wrong with tacticool knives is the “GETOFFTHEX!!!” mall ninja mentality that sometimes accompanies them.

glad you were able to help someone out. i hope they see that knives are useful and start carrying their own. eventually, maybe people will stop being afraid of them.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Funny story! :D
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Naperville wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:28 pm
I take it you will not be picking up a Spyderco YoJumbo, which is one of the best tactical knives to hit the market in a while?

In 2020, I'll be buying my second Spyderco Province and second Spyderco Sustain and sharpening the top swedge on both. OOPS!

Oh, and I have plenty of Cold Steel to go around too...
I think the joke around "tactical" knives is that they are anything but - often chintzy and impractical, rather than being useful for a soldier.

Of course, the Yojumbo is one of the best MBC knives to hit the market in awhile - it can clearly deal some damage in skilled hands. I still wouldn't call it tactical, if only because that term has ceased to carry much meaning for me in the wake of mall-ninja tacticool knives & bottle openers of all kinds.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Robishere wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:50 pm
Well There I was, leaving Wal Mart and saw a guy cursing a knotted piece of rope on his bedrails trying to tie something down. All I had in my pocket was a titanium Chaparral Spyderco.

I planned on leaping over a row of shopping carts, dodging a car going one way, sliding over the next cars hood, stealthing under a couple pickup trucks, and finishing with a backward flip ending in the crouching tiger position (maybe rescuing a child in the process somehow) and cutting the offending rope knot off for him....

Alas I could not. My knife was not Tactical. It was not a tanto or serrated, had no saw on the back, no finger grooves or knuckles built in, no glass breaker or seat belt cutter, and a distinct lack of black plastic.

I was forced to walk over calmly and offer him my pocket knife which he thanked me for and cut the knot out. Then I put my bag in the seat of my truck and went home.

The fact I had a normal knife which is “too heavy” for its size and not a lightweight limited me to what I could do as did the fact that it was not a “tactical” knife and means it will not allow me to do “tactical” things when I grocery shop.

**** Spyderco! Where does a guy buy Cold Steel knives? Maybe then I could out perform Bruce Willis when I go for an oil change.

38E922A1-7A93-43E0-9598-68C98CC06A4B.jpeg
Hahaha! I think you were also not dressed fir tactical maneuvers either. You need that to jump over shopping carts.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

kennethsime wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:08 pm
I think the joke around "tactical" knives is that they are anything but - often chintzy and impractical, rather than being useful for a soldier.

Of course, the Yojumbo is one of the best MBC knives to hit the market in awhile - it can clearly deal some damage in skilled hands. I still wouldn't call it tactical, if only because that term has ceased to carry much meaning for me in the wake of mall-ninja tacticool knives & bottle openers of all kinds.
I buy all of my knives with a defensive purpose in mind. i.e. if attacked, can I defend myself with it. $20,000 invested so far!

Text is a poor conveyor of intent. Robishere is a fine guy....my posts are not meant to antagonize!!! I like the knife he has too...it's beautiful.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Robishere wrote:

... I hear you...

Now imagine, I don´t even have the titanium, but only the FRN Chaparral, which on top of all its tactical shortcomings is even too light to be thrown reliably at 30 yards in order to pin the gun hand of a villain against the wall.. :p

Horrible knife! :p ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Mike Slayer

Post by Mike Slayer »

Only way I could of helped him is if he needed a snack in the middle of that. I could cut up some veggies to make him a salad since all I carry is a Spydiechef. At least he wouldn’t go hungry if it took him all day to get the knot untied.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:47 am
Robishere wrote:

... I hear you...

Now imagine, I don´t even have the titanium, but only the FRN Chaparral, which on top of all its tactical shortcomings is even too light to be thrown reliably at 30 yards in order to pin the gun hand of a villain against the wall.. :p

Horrible knife! :p ;)
What you really need in that situation is a flying guillotine.

- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
foofie

Post by foofie »

JuPaul wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:56 am

What you really need in that situation is a flying guillotine.
I tried that, but the stock wire clip made it sit too low in the pocket so it was not readily available. I was even willing to accept a little pocket shredding to get a tactical advantage, but it didn't work out. If only it came in all black...
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Ha ha. Nice story. And I get reminded again that I should pick up a Jumpmaster. I have come so close many times.