Caribbean at last

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Caribbean at last

Post by Wartstein »

archangel wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:54 pm
At last, me too! ;)

Got mine today, and had some time to finger and flick it. It's a fine knife! I like them large, so... :winking-tongue

Which version did you get (leaf/sheepsfoot; PE/SE)?

For me the coolest Caribbean still is Davids SE wharnie-modded sheepsfoot.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

'Tis truly a thing of beauty.
archangel

Post by archangel »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:27 am
archangel wrote:
At last, me too! ;)

Got mine today, and had some time to finger and flick it. It's a fine knife! I like them large, so... :winking-tongue

Mine's got a leaf shaped fully serrated blade. I like pointy tips. ;)
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
archangel

Post by archangel »

VooDooChild wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:35 pm
archangel wrote: At last, me too! ;)

I have to admit that I prefer blades with finger choil. So honestly I doubt that the Caribbean will become one of my ATFs. But it will be carried, and used if needed.

Question: the blade on mine is not swinging freely when the lock is being pushed, like my PM2 and Para 3 do for example. Is it just a matter of time, and breaking in? How's yours?
All caribbeans are like that. If you squeeze the handle, or really even put pressure on the scales with your fingers, it puts pressure on the pivot and keeps the knife from dropping shut. If you hold it very loosely, which I dont recommend, it may drop shut.

I dont know if the pivot is different or... ?

Thanks for the feedback. Construction should be pretty similar to the one of the PM2 / Para 3, right? Skeletonized nested liners and all. Might be a Taichung thing that they don't drop shut. It's no biggie, with a little wrist action I can flick it open and shut no problem. A firm grip is an absolute must for this!
Michael
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

archangel wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:22 am
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:27 am
archangel wrote:
At last, me too! ;)

Mine's got a leaf shaped fully serrated blade. I like pointy tips. ;)
Main thing: Fully serrated! Well done...;)

I do like a bit pointier (not TOO fine though) tips too.
What I'd like in the sheepsfoot is the long, straight ("non bellied") edge. Though ideally it should still have some belly in let's say the front quarter of the edge (no Caribbean offers this of course).

Anyway, enjoy yours! Discussions with David/Evil D have convinced me, that this thing must have the best serration pattern out there. Even better than my amazingly performing Endela SE.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

archangel wrote:

Question: the blade on mine is not swinging freely when the lock is being pushed, like my PM2 and Para 3 do for example. Is it just a matter of time, and breaking in? How's yours?

Neither of mine did when new. I polished the blade tang on mine and it helps quite a bit, but vs a PM2 or Military the Caribbean just uses a different pivot bushing so the action is different when new. Even with polishing mine I don't mind having to give it a little wrist jiggle to drop closed but once I do it does swing freely closed. On the positive side I've never hand an issue with tuning out side play like I hear people have with the PM2.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
archangel

Post by archangel »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:21 am
archangel wrote:

Neither of mine did when new. I polished the blade tang on mine and it helps quite a bit, but vs a PM2 or Military the Caribbean just uses a different pivot bushing so the action is different when new. Even with polishing mine I don't mind having to give it a little wrist jiggle to drop closed but once I do it does swing freely closed. On the positive side I've never hand an issue with tuning out side play like I hear people have with the PM2.

(We're missing a Thumb Up smiley, so instead) :fist-bump

I don't tweak my knives unless I have to. I've tried it only once with the intention of improving action, with my Szabo Folder which was sooo stiff, and it went very wrong. :confounded It's still super stiff for a CompLock, and I managed to kill the detent. :astonished So I'll leave the Caribbean in factory setup. Like I said, a little bit of wrist action and it does the trick. I do wonder though if the difference between Golden PM2 / Para 3 and Taichung Caribbean CompLock action is intentional? Has Sal ever said if they can chose the level of smoothness of the action of CompLock Spydies?
Michael
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

archangel wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:33 am
I do wonder though if the difference between Golden PM2 / Para 3 and Taichung Caribbean CompLock action is intentional?

Could be a factory production limitation or even preference, could even be that Spyderco think the PM2 pivot is better and they want to keep their premier folder more "special", who knows. It may also just be something to do with making all of the parts out of LC200N, maybe for some reason the PM2 style stepped pivot can't be done in that steel (at least I thought ALL of the components of the Caribbean were LC?) If both knives were made in Golden I would think it was more of a deliberate choice. It's a similar question like why are Taichung serrations so different than Golden or Seki? With the Caribbean being the only SE model to come from Taichung, maybe they're just using different tooling or whatever to grind the serrations. The pivot difference could even just be for cost, the Caribbean is already around $35 more than the PM2, maybe that bushing would have driven cost up over the $200 mark and they wanted to keep costs down.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
archangel

Post by archangel »

Good points David. Maybe Sal reads this and shares some insight about whether or not they control, maybe even chose the level of smoothness before production starts.
Last edited by archangel on Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

My other Taichung comp locks, Kapara, Watu and Canis, are all drop close and have action like a pm2. For whatever reason it just seems to be the caribbean. And the caribbean is sensitive to pressure on the scales when closing as well.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:24 am
wrdwrght wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:35 pm
Evil D wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:43 am
I would love to see them replace the G10 scales with some bi-directional FRN scales and leave everything else the same.
Perish the thought.
I am actually in the "great thought" camp...;)

But perhaps with that "Leaf Jumper XL" we'll get kind of an FRN Caribbean anyway, plus the (for me) substantial bonus of a backlock.
That would be my hope. Based on my Rock Jumper, I’m already on the Leaf Jumper XL bandwagon. And, surprise, surprise, those two come from Sal’s mind unbidden by us, just the way I like it.

Regardless, why kill the festive spirit that I believe Sal intended with the Caribbean’s eye-catching (and uniquely grippy) G10?
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
archangel

Post by archangel »

Another thing: has anyone replaced the original clip with a deep carry alternative? What models are compatible to the Caribbean clip?

I do like the titanium of the original clip, plus it actually looks really classy. I just prefer deep carry....
Michael
Rab

Post by Rab »

Just got mine today, SE sheepsfoot version.

Going to be my new brewery work knife, upgrading from my Salt 2.
razehound

Post by razehound »

archangel wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:13 am
Another thing: has anyone replaced the original clip with a deep carry alternative? What models are compatible to the Caribbean clip?

I do like the titanium of the original clip, plus it actually looks really classy. I just prefer deep carry....
I threw a Lynch 'Long' clip on my old one. The longer one contacts the same point as the og clip, which is important on the Caribbean. Also its a big knife, and the longer one just looks better...
-razehound :spyder: Spydiechef, Paramilitary 2, Para 3 LW, Salt 2 SE, Spydiechef, Para 3 LW

I'd rather get caught with it than without it...
razehound

Post by razehound »

Rab wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:27 am

Funny. I started on the Caribbean, upgraded to the Salt 2. Just liked the small and lightweight better.
-razehound :spyder: Spydiechef, Paramilitary 2, Para 3 LW, Salt 2 SE, Spydiechef, Para 3 LW

I'd rather get caught with it than without it...
Craiger12

Post by Craiger12 »

razehound wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:29 pm
archangel wrote:

I threw a Lynch 'Long' clip on my old one. The longer one contacts the same point as the og clip, which is important on the Caribbean. Also its a big knife, and the longer one just looks better...
The longer MXG clip fits perfectly as well. That's what I have been running on my Caribbean without any issues. I believe another member posted some pics a while back and that's where I got the idea.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

razehound wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:31 pm
Rab wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:27 am

Funny. I started on the Caribbean, upgraded to the Salt 2. Just liked the small and lightweight better.
Never had a Caribbean, but could see me preferring the Salt 2 too, mostly for the backlock, thinner blade and lower weight.

But, that said: When it comes to SE, the Caribbean must have the best performing do it alll serration pattern out there, as comparison pics and discussions with David/Evil D have convinced me.
The Salt 2 serrations are nice, no doubt, but the Endelas (shallower) work even better for me, and the Caribbeans look to be another step up.
archangel

Post by archangel »

Craiger12 wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:40 pm
razehound wrote:
archangel wrote:

The longer MXG clip fits perfectly as well. That's what I have been running on my Caribbean without any issues. I believe another member posted some pics a while back and that's where I got the idea.

Since there are many versions of MXG clips, which one exactly? For which Spydie? I believe the Caribbean is not mentioned in their ads.
Michael
Craiger12

Post by Craiger12 »

archangel wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:36 am
Craiger12 wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:40 pm
razehound wrote:
archangel wrote:

Since there are many versions of MXG clips, which one exactly? For which Spydie? I believe the Caribbean is not mentioned in their ads.
The standard 3 screw long clip that fits the PM2 and many of the FRN models is the one I purchased and has been working well.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

VooDooChild wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:03 am
My other Taichung comp locks, Kapara, Watu and Canis, are all drop close and have action like a pm2. For whatever reason it just seems to be the caribbean. And the caribbean is sensitive to pressure on the scales when closing as well.
I'd agree with this, my Sage 5 and Sage lwt drop just as well as my Golden Comp locks.