What's your Favorite Rex Sprint Run?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TomAiello

Re: What's your Favorite Rex Sprint Run?

Post by TomAiello »

The Meat man wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:59 pm
TomAiello wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:36 pm
Manix 2 G-10, at least so far, is my favorite REX-45 knife. My favorite REX knife is still probably the Mako I have in REX-121, though.

More models are yet to come though, and then we'll see...
What's the hardness on that Mako?
According to the maker, 69.

I honestly think that my Manix 2 in Maxamet holds an edge just as long as the Mako in REX-121. I find Maxamet easier to sharpen, though. The Mako is a very nice knife--it's kind of like a super-refined Enuf.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

TomAiello wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:20 pm
The Meat man wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:59 pm
TomAiello wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:36 pm
Manix 2 G-10, at least so far, is my favorite REX-45 knife. My favorite REX knife is still probably the Mako I have in REX-121, though.

More models are yet to come though, and then we'll see...
What's the hardness on that Mako?
According to the maker, 69.

I honestly think that my Manix 2 in Maxamet holds an edge just as long as the Mako in REX-121. I find Maxamet easier to sharpen, though. The Mako is a very nice knife--it's kind of like a super-refined Enuf.
Interesting. With so much more (vanadium) carbide I would've expected the difference in edge holding to be more noticeable.
I'm not much of a fixed blade guy but the Mako looks like it'd make a good fixed EDC. Gary does very nice work, I've heard.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
JohnDoe99

Post by JohnDoe99 »

Native 5. It is my favorite Spyderco model.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Threads like these always show me that it's a great thing that Spyderco gives us such a wide variety of models. :)

For me I think it's been the REX Para 3 has been my favorite. At least that's the one I've carried and used the most. Even put a set of aftermarket scales on it. The Native 5 LW's been seeing some pocket time lately though. The others are still pretty much NIB
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Chumango

Post by Chumango »

anycal wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:28 pm

Native 5 for now.

I'll second that.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

The Meat man wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:43 pm
With so much more (vanadium) carbide I would've expected the difference in edge holding to be more noticeable.
I'm not much of a fixed blade guy but the Mako looks like it'd make a good fixed EDC. Gary does very nice work, I've heard.
I expected that too. I have been surprised by how little difference there is.

Gary does amazing work. it's a very nice knife.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I've carried the Rex Para 3LW more than any other knife since I got it a few months ago. It's broken in nicely, and the action is almost as good as the G-10 model. Maybe 75%. The lighter weight and the deep carry wire clip are real nice for summer, I couldn't ask for a better knife. Until Sal & Eric give us a PM2LW, anyway. :-)
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
araneae

Post by araneae »

kennethsime wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:02 pm
I've carried the Rex Para 3LW more than any other knife since I got it a few months ago. It's broken in nicely, and the action is almost as good as the G-10 model. Maybe 75%. The lighter weight and the deep carry wire clip are real nice for summer, I couldn't ask for a better knife. Until Sal & Eric give us a PM2LW, anyway. :-)
I've got 4 Para ltwt models and all are smoother than the 2 g-10 models I have. It's become my favorite carry, even displacing the Delica lately. The Lil Native will get pocket time, but the Para 3 will be my favorite Rex model.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

araneae wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:42 pm
kennethsime wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:02 pm
I've got 4 Para ltwt models and all are smoother than the 2 g-10 models I have. It's become my favorite carry, even displacing the Delica lately. The Lil Native will get pocket time, but the Para 3 will be my favorite Rex model.
I've yet had a LW model of any knife with action as good as my G-10 models, but then I guess there is variation across examples, and also in users tastes.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

The one I have, Manix 2 G10 of course!
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

Manix 2 in my pocket now, native 5 G10 in the safe, but im not afraid to carry it. I love both of them for different reasons.

I want the Shaman but I have the M4 DLC from bladehq

I realy want the Chief as i dont have one
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

I love the color of the frn burnt Orange scales better than the g10. I have been fortunate enough to grab a manix 2 g10 and native 5 frn. The biggest bang for your buck with these sprints was definitely the g10 manix 2...
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

marshmallow wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:09 pm
Tucson Tom wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:52 pm
Shaman without a doubt. It is all in the anticipation.
I'm having a hard time finding the Shaman Rex. The quest....
You just started in knives - if you don't get one, try something new - maybe grab a the micarta zwear Shaman when it comes out
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Looking forward to the Manix2 LW!
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Hap 40 lineup or Rex 45 line. If there was a Cruwear lineup including an Endura that would be first for me. I'm not including the K390 line because it's not out yet but that would be near the top. The entire Superblue line was a winner and still a favorite.
Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

None. I only go for stainless. I'm just not a fan of patina.
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Hopweaver wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:26 pm
I don't like patina, either, but I have many non-stainless steels in my collection. A light coat of mineral oil keeps the patina away, and I don't generally use my folders for food prep. If patina is the only thing stopping you from trying non-stainless steels, there are easy ways to avoid it.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
marshmallow

Post by marshmallow »

JuPaul wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:32 am
Hopweaver wrote:
I don't like patina, either, but I have many non-stainless steels in my collection. A light coat of mineral oil keeps the patina away, and I don't generally use my folders for food prep. If patina is the only thing stopping you from trying non-stainless steels, there are easy ways to avoid it.
Jupaul, what kind of mineral oil do you use?
"stay puft."
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

marshmallow wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:25 am
JuPaul wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:32 am
Hopweaver wrote:
Jupaul, what kind of mineral oil do you use?
No particular brand, just make sure it's food grade. It's often sold as cutting board oil, or even as a laxative in places like walgreens. "Baby oil" is actually mineral oil, too, although they often add perfumes to that and I'm not sure it's food grade. I think last time I bought some I just searched for food grade mineral oil on Amazon.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
SubMicron

Post by SubMicron »

Para3 with aftermarket micarta scales.