Picking a SE Salt

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

SE Salt

Salt 2 Wharncliffe SE
24%
Pacific Salt 2 SE
76%

Total votes: 21

wolfstyle

Picking a SE Salt

Post by wolfstyle »

I'm interested in trying out a Spyderco SE and like the Salt series. I've narrowed my choices to the Salt 2 Wharncliffe or the Pacific Salt 2.

Uses will mostly be general EDC but I will be taking this knife on a two week fishing trip and plan on testing it out.

So I'm coming to the forum and asking for help deciding. Also open to other model suggestions.
JuPaul

Re: Picking a SE Salt

Post by JuPaul »

I voted salt 2 wharnie because personally, I like a smaller knife for fishing tasks (cutting line, picking out tangles, etc.). With that said, now that I've used a SE hawkbill dragonfly salt, I will definitely be taking that on my next fishing trip (or a SE Tasman salt if I had one).

I love my Pac Salt, but for me it's a dedicated yardwork/garden/outdoors beast and not an edc. Personally, I'd be more likely to carry one of the delica-sized salt line as an edc.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

the OG pac salt in SE is one of my favorite knives and a great general purpose matter separator. I keep one in the truck, one for the kayak and one for EDC.

I’m sure you wouldn’t be disappointed in either but I voted for the regular blade shape.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i am definitely biased here, but i have to go with the pac salt. there's a ton of cutting power in that blade. just a little bit of belly and a lot of teeth... it's a ferocious cutting tool and remains super lightweight.

that said, this was kind of a tough choice. for general edc tasks and carry, the wharncliffe and smaller blade might be a better option. i tend to pair a pac salt se with a yojimbo 2, manix 2 lw, or native salt pe, depending on what i'm doing that day.

ultimately, it depends on your local laws and what you are comfortable with, really.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Of those I'd have to go with the bigger of the two, but my first choice would be a Caribbean, second choice would be a wharnie Endura (all SE obviously).
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

2 week fishIng trip? Get the PAC SALT.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
hambone56rx

Post by hambone56rx »

I also voted PAC Salt SE. I just picked one up yesterday from St. Nick Knives in Foley, AL while staying at Gulf Shores. I got the original PAC Salt as they had it marked down since it’s discontinued, which is the main reason why I went with it over the Salt 2 Wharncliffe SE. Even though now I see that the Salt 2 Wharncliffe SE is 2 ounces and the PAC Salt 2 is supposedly 50% heavier at 3 ounces, they literally felt the same weight in hand. Since I couldn’t perceive a felt difference, and the cost was about $45 less for the discontinued, Pac Salt, it made it a no brainer. As I’ve been carrying it around for the past 2 days, I don’t even know it’s in my swim trunks. I’m in awe of this remarkable design that I haven’t experienced until now! But as I’ve read many times on the forums, you better get both!! There isn’t a wrong answer here!

Hamilton
James Y

Post by James Y »

I have both the Pac Salt 1 and the Salt 2 Wharncliffe, both in SE. You can’t go wrong with either one. And the weight difference between them is inconsequential, IMO. They’re both very lightweight for their sizes. Although lately, between the two for my own uses, I’ve been reaching for the Salt 2 Wharncliffe more than the Pac Salt.

Jim
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Pacific Salt ‘cos everyone should have one.

You might also want to look at the mighty mini pocket chainsaw: the SE Salt Dragonfly, at some stage, too.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Caribbean is the answer.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Tgmr05

Post by Tgmr05 »

I prefer the salt2 size to the pac salt for fishing/edc. I do more walk around fishing, and prefer the smaller size for carry, though.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

You did not list the regular Salt 2. Therefore, I did not vote. That is the one I would pick.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
brj

Post by brj »

Have/use/like both. I like better the pointy tip on wharnie Salt 2, but voted PacSalt as the stout tip feels more safe when carried 4 o'clock IWB inside swimming trunks (which I prefer during summer).
Liveliner

Post by Liveliner »

Fill size Pacific Salt. I feel big is better in marine environs. Big blade & grip.
Test picImage
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I didn't vote for either one. Because I don't think you can go wrong with any SE blade in the Salt Series. However I do wish that they would make more selections in LC200N.

I'm also still hoping that the General himself (Sal) will eventually entertain the idea of taking the old TEMPERANCE 1 model in SE & PE and re-introducing those great fixed blades into the Salt Series at some point. And I hope those are done in LC200N.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I lean to the larger in the Delica-Endura continuum and consider wharnies to be a little too purpose-built, so I’d pick (and will) the SE Pacific Salt2.

I’m curious to see if I like it 2 more than the original, which is a helluva knife.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
wolfstyle

Post by wolfstyle »

I really appreciate all the votes, comments, and recommendations.

I generally go with larger knives so have decided to go with the popular vote and just placed an order for the Pacific Salt 2 SE in yellow.

Looking forward to using it on my trip and will let you all know how it performed.

Will follow up once I get to use it for a while.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

You won't be disappointed- it's a excellent knife!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
brj

Post by brj »

Until you PacSalt arrives, this thread needs a pic ;)