New Guy

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bamalt1

New Guy

Post by Bamalt1 »

New guy here with the beginnings of a collection. I'm active duty Army stationed outside of Savannah, GA. I bought a coyote PM2 with a DLC S35VN blade on March 31st. Fantastic knife and incredibly sharp out of the box. I ordered a black titanium clip for it since I managed to bend the stock clip. Not sure how I managed that one but it is what it is. I ordered a Spydiechef May 25th and if I'm lucky I'll be getting the bladehq manix 2 xl Friday. I want a Kapara but they've been out of stock on Spyderco's website for as long as I can remember.
S35VN PM2, Spydiechef, M4 Manix 2 XL, Rex 45 Shaman, Kapara, M4 PM2 Tanto, Ultatech BH, Techno 2, 20CV Yojimbo 2
sal

Re: New Guy

Post by sal »

Hi Bamalt1,

Welcome to our forum and thanx much for your service.

sal
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Bamalt1 wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:46 am
I ordered a black titanium clip for it since I managed to bend the stock clip. Not sure how I managed that one but it is what it is
Welcome to the forum!

I bent my stock clip once climbing over a fence. When I came down the other side, the clip caught a piece of the fence and bent because my body was moving outward. Not a big deal. Replacement clips are available from the factory if you don't like the (plentiful) aftermarket, and I know lots of people who have a ton of spare clips because they've replaced theirs with other options.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Welcome Bamalt1! Looks like Knifeworks has the Kapara in stock
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Welcome to the forum! :)

The PM 2 is a great choice for a first Spydie (well, not only for a first... ;) )

Good luck with the BHQ Manix XL! Hope you´ll get one!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Welcome and thank you for your service!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Thank you for your service and welcome to the forum!
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

The kapara moves quickly at the Spyderco factory outlet (SFO) when they get a new batch in. Only downside of the opfocus discount is that it's sometimes harder to get popular models right away. They be back in stock eventually.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Welcome to the forum!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Donut

Post by Donut »

Welcome to the forum.

Eventually, every clip will catch on _something_. It happened to me yesterday.

You can usually take the clip off and bend it back with pliers. I usually bend the clips back to have an extreme amount of holding force because they'll gradually lose the holding force and/or catch on something.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Welcome aboard!!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
acer

Post by acer »

Welcome, and enjoy the Manix 2 XL.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Hey, Bamalt1:

Welcome to the Spyderco forum and thank you for your service.

In case you didn't know, Spyderco has a professional purchase program that allows active duty service personnel, law enforcement, and first responders, as well as military veterans and retirees, to purchase directly from Spyderco at a substantial discount. It's called the OpFocus program and it's our way of thanking you for your service.

Just go to Spyderco.com and sign up for an account. When you do, it will ask you if you served (or are serving) in any of the capacities listed above. Fill out a quick form and it will verify your service through a third-party vendor called Sheer ID. Once you're "in," you'll get a great discount on any Spyderco or byrd product.

Stay safe,

Mike
Bamalt1

Post by Bamalt1 »

Thanks for the information Michael. I am already signed up for OpFocus and plan to put it to a lot of use.
S35VN PM2, Spydiechef, M4 Manix 2 XL, Rex 45 Shaman, Kapara, M4 PM2 Tanto, Ultatech BH, Techno 2, 20CV Yojimbo 2
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Welcome to the forum !
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

Wow jump in running. The addiction doesn't go away. LOL
GaryArt1

Post by GaryArt1 »

I have had a interest in knives ever since I was a kid and my father have me my first Buck knife. Over the years I have owned many brands and now as a Law Enforcement Officer, I carry one every day on the job but also carry a knife when I'm off. I had recently learned about the Opfocus program and have since tripled my Spyderco collection to 7 knives with a few more I am planning on. This is partly due to realizing the quality of Spyderco knives but also because of their commitment to those of us first responders and military. We do not make a lot of money considering what we must put on the line. It is great to be able to afford some high quality knives through this program. I hope one day to make it out to Golden for the seconds sale. Until then, I just wanted to thank Spyderco for the they're commitment to those of us who serve.
Current Spydercos in EDC rotation: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Dragonfly 2 Toku2, Vrango, Matrix 2 G10 Black, Native 5 Fluted Carbon, Canis, Native 5 Salt, Enuff Sheepfoot, Lil' Temperance 3, Proficient, Caribbean Sheepsfoot, Shaman Zwear micarta, Shaman Black/Black Spyderedge, DLT tan Yojimbo 2