Is SV30 Good for Cutting Coaxial Cables?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
marshmallow

Is SV30 Good for Cutting Coaxial Cables?

Post by marshmallow »

I cut a lot of coaxial cables for occupation and have been using my SV30. Wanted to know durability of it or should I go higher grade? What’s the ideal coaxial cable steel without going over budget and without dulling or chipping?
"stay puft."
Joey

Re: Is SV30 Good for Cutting Coaxial Cables?

Post by Joey »

For your needs especially, it is impossible to beat the value that comes from the Native 5 LW sprint in Rex45. $112 and readily available!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Man my experience with coax is that you need side cutters or something other than a knife. That steel core murders edges.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

marshmallow wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 11:54 am
I cut a lot of coaxial cables for occupation and have been using my SV30. Wanted to know durability of it or should I go higher grade? What’s the ideal coaxial cable steel without going over budget and without dulling or chipping?
There is no steel grade designed for cutting coaxial steel cables in the form of a folding knife because the knives themselves don't have the geometry for that task like a pair of cable cutters do.

To make a cable cutting blade would sacrifice everything that makes a good knife.

It would be the blade geometry that's more pertinent not a specific steel.

So to make your s30v blade work better for that task would mean you would want a 35-40 degree per side 70-80° included edge angle, A polish will also help reduce stress risers.

It will cut poorly for other things as a consequence but hopefully this post helps get the gears turning for the inherit trade offs involved here.

Also if you get caught using your knife and not a pair of cutters you might experience behavior corrective derogatory motivation from your peers.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
bouhunter

Post by bouhunter »

There's an old saying, have the right tool for the job. No knife is the right tool for cutting co-axial cable......
JMM

Post by JMM »

While a good tool steel like rex45 or 4v will tolerate it better than s30v will, I can speak from more personal experience than I'd like to admit and offer you a little piece of advice... go get a good quality pair of side cutters, it will make you and your knife much happier in the long run. :)

Cheers,

John
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

If you’re going to put a connector on the cable end, side cutters will cut it square. I wouldn’t think a knife would work as well.

If you’re just removing cables to replace with new ones, (or ?,) I would think a tool steel blade would work better.
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

For you folks that have worked with coax, what kind has steel conductors? I’ve worked with RF coax and it’s all silver plated copper, center conductor and shield. Just curious.
Last edited by Pokey on Sun May 31, 2020 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Get a pair of lineman's pliers
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
willc

Post by willc »

FDF5D09F-C80E-48D1-94D9-370806BFF24E.jpeg
For coax cable I would go with Klein linemen pliers.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Use real side cutters.

I've cut coax with Maxamet (Manix 2 LW) and it came through ok. If you must use a knife, I'd second the recommendation for the Rex 45 Native LW. I haven't tried cutting coax with it, but it's relatively inexpensive for a knife that I'd try on that job.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

This reminds me of the Grayman Satu, when it first came out and hit magazines I had an article where they batoned through some coax and apparently the blade handled it just fine. I wouldn't say those knives are "slicers" though. I'm sure there are blades out there that can handle this kind of abuse without major damage, but I wouldn't expect to have much edge after a full day of chopping coax, and you won't find yourself in a situation where you can baton through the cable, which is going to be much easier than sawing through it.

On the other hand I can understand just wanting to use a knife....sometimes it's just fun to use your knife right? If I insisted on using a knife, I would look for something in 3V, 4V, M4, Cruwear, etc. H1 is also insanely tough but also somewhat soft and more prone to rolling the edge (I'm assuming you're looking for plain edge?). On one hand you want something that's super tough and super wear resistant, but on the other hand you need to expect to have to fix your edge now and then so a steel that's easier to sharpen/grind isn't a bad idea either.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

As said before, right tool for the right job.

In an emergency, anything goes of course, but be prepared to see some edge damage somewhere along the line.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

bouhunter wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 12:58 pm
There's an old saying, have the right tool for the job. No knife is the right tool for cutting co-axial cable......
I completely agree with you answer. However in an emergency situation I've found really good serrated edges like Spyderco's Spyderedges to be great for cutting all kinds of materials when nothing else is handy.

But overall you are 100% correct because a knife is to be used for what knives are traditionally used for. But again you can get away with more by using a serrated edge if you're in a bind and need something cut ASAP.

But I would never recommend using any knife regardless of which blade steel it has when other tools would be far superior as in this case.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Evil D wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 12:28 pm
Man my experience with coax is that you need side cutters or something other than a knife. That steel core murders edges.
This^
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
JohnDoe99

Post by JohnDoe99 »

marshmallow wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 11:54 am
S30V is another brittle steel, though admittedly not hyper brittle like s110v. I can guarantee that your edge is going to chip out and lose all sharpness with one draw cut into a cable with metal internals. You need to get some cutting pliers.

After fighting S110V for two weekends, I am really wishing Spyderco would reintroduce low or lower carbide steels into the lineup. AUS-6, 154cm, make v toku and/or Super Blue regular production, maybe O-1 as an American equivalent.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

JohnDoe99 wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 7:28 pm
After fighting S110V for two weekends, I am really wishing Spyderco would reintroduce low or lower carbide steels into the lineup. AUS-6, 154cm, make v toku and/or Super Blue regular production, maybe O-1 as an American equivalent.
BD1n? Or VG-10? What about the upcoming Spy-27?
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Super Blue...more like Super Blows!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 7:49 pm
Super Blue...more like Super Blows!
It's a delight to sharpen though. Plus it'll support pretty thin edges.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Yeah, if you are doing this often for your job then definitely get a proper pair of cutters. Klein and Knipex are my go-to for cutters and pliers. While I definitely use my Spyderco knives for things that other knives or tools are better suited for, I don't try to make a habit of it. I use kitchen knives in the kitchen, box cutters when breaking down cardboard, side cutters for zip ties and wire, etc. I'll use a Spyderco for any of those in a pinch, but I try not to. Cruwear is my ideal EDC steel though because I feel it can handle any of these unexpected tasks the best. 4V and Rex45 would be next on my list. I'd like to see some Delta-3V Spyderco folders like an Endura, but that's for another discussion. :)
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red