Ok, so the Kapara is really good. Better than I thought. Especially in M4!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
AwayFromMySpydieHole

Ok, so the Kapara is really good. Better than I thought. Especially in M4!

Post by AwayFromMySpydieHole »

I finally broke down and got a Kapara. Not sure why I put it off for so long, but I did. I always wanted it, just ended up getting other things first. All spydies, of course. I have like 200 spyderco knives at this point. Been quite a ride over the last 10+ years.

Anyway, I rarely ask Sal for things but in this instance I feel like an amazing knife could be.....incredible.

The Kapara as is, is an amazing knife like I said. I truly think it could be a knife that stuck around forever in their catalog. Like the 940 for Benchmade. In fact, I hope it does.

However, this amazing knife would be probably one of my all time favorites if it came in something non stainless....maybe m4? I know Taiwan already uses M4 so maybe it wouldn’t be too much of a stretch to ask for that.

So this thread serves 2 purposes. Firstly, I’m asking you the consumer to go buy a Kapara. They are fantastic and the more it’s bought, the more likely we will see variations.

Secondly, I’m asking Sal to consider making one in something like M4. Maybe some green micarta scales and M4? Would be nice.

Anyway. Thanks for reading. Oh, and go buy a Kapara.
Notsurewhy

Re: Ok, so the Kapara is really good. Better than I thought. Especially in M4!

Post by Notsurewhy »

A Kapara in M4 would be awesome. I'd have to find a good aftermarket clip though. The wire clip is killing the standard version for me.
AwayFromMySpydieHole

Notsurewhy wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 10:21 am
A Kapara in M4 would be awesome. I'd have to find a good aftermarket clip though. The wire clip is killing the standard version for me.

I have seen on Instagram recently some clip makers doing neat things. I can’t remember who the maker was, but they made standard deep carry clips that fit the two-slot design of spyderco’s deep carry wire clips.

I will try and find it and shoot you a link.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I love M4, but no.

The next one is required to be LC200N.

As a 3rd iteration, heck yea! But this knife was designed with specific thought to food prep, it should've been LC200N to begin with.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
AwayFromMySpydieHole

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 10:59 am
I love M4, but no.

As a 3rd iteration, heck yea! But this knife was designed with specific thought to food prep, it should've been LC200N to begin with.

I don’t get the hype for lc200n. I wish I did. I don’t need more stainlessness. S30v is plenty stainless for me.

And as far as edge retention I’ve gotten way better performance from s30v compared to lc200n. Don’t get me wrong lc200n performs a lot better than h1, but it isn’t s30v performance.

I wish I understood why everyone wants lc200n. Do we really need more stain resistance than s30v for a knife like this? Not me. But I’m not here to judge.

I still want M4. Or k390. Or s90v, if it must be stainless.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

It sharpens easily, gets screaming sharp, holds an edge for plenty of time and is RIDICULOUSLY tough.

Oh, and it requires almost zero maintenance.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

AwayFromMySpydieHole wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 10:57 am
Notsurewhy wrote:
I have seen on Instagram recently some clip makers doing neat things. I can’t remember who the maker was, but they made standard deep carry clips that fit the two-slot design of spyderco’s deep carry wire clips.

Lynch makes one, but according to what I've read, it won't work with the kapara. The screw is in the wrong spot relative to the clip or something. If it does work, or you know of another alternative, I'd love to know. All I've been able to find are milled clips that cost 50% of what I paid for the knife. I like the knife, but not that much.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Sumdumguy wrote:
I love M4, but no.

I do agree with this ^

Would love to see a LC200N Marbled CF Kapara with a Yellow Backspacer!

An M4 Polished White G10 Kapara with a Red Backspacer would get my attention as well!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 11:31 am
AwayFromMySpydieHole wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 10:57 am
Notsurewhy wrote:

Lynch makes one, but according to what I've read, it won't work with the kapara. The screw is in the wrong spot relative to the clip or something. If it does work, or you know of another alternative, I'd love to know. All I've been able to find are milled clips that cost 50% of what I paid for the knife. I like the knife, but not that much.
While the Lynch wire clip replacement is not 'officially' supported to work with the Kapara and other models where the screw is positioned at the top of the clip I've been able to install them with high quality torx bits (without stripping the screw or bit) angled at about 45° for the last 1/8 - 1/4 turn of the screw. Another option would be to use a Dremel or rotary tool and put in a small notch at the top center of the existing hole in the Lynch clip.

-Turbo
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

bbturbodad wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 12:07 pm
While the Lynch wire clip replacement is not 'officially' supported to work with the Kapara and other models where the screw is positioned at the top of the clip I've been able to install them with high quality torx bits (without stripping the screw or bit) angled at about 45° for the last 1/8 - 1/4 turn of the screw. Another option would be to use a Dremel or rotary tool and put in a small notch at the top center of the existing hole in the Lynch clip.

Awesome, thanks for the info! Wish I had known when they were in stock. I will keep an eye out when they restock. I love the blade, ergos and look of this knife but never carry it anymore because I'm afraid I'm going to lose it the next time it jumps out of my pocket.
JustinB

Post by JustinB »

A tool steel Kapara would be nice for sure, but I agree with Dum.

I was actually using my Kapara this morning making breakfast and was thinking that a contoured G10 with LC200n would make a wonderful alternative to the S30v and CF. Could end up being cheaper too, which would be great!

EDIT: Since the taichung factory would already have black/ yellow G10 for the Caribbean, why not make it with that? Would make a good folding kitchen knife for sure :D
Justin :spyder:
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

This has to be the 100th thread with suggestions for Kapara sprints/exclusives. Poor Sal, he probably just glazes over when he sees these threads haha.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Dazen wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 11:50 am
Sumdumguy wrote:
I love M4, but no.

I do agree with this ^

An M4 Polished White G10 Kapara with a Red Backspacer would get my attention as well!
This is my exact feeling on the matter, in that order!

:spyder:

Edit: Although, I'd change the M4 backspacer to purple.

-Thomas Jefferson
AwayFromMySpydieHole

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 2:23 pm
This has to be the 100th thread with suggestions for Kapara sprints/exclusives. Poor Sal, he probably just glazes over when he sees these threads haha.

Really?! Don’t know how I’ve missed that. I guess the kapara hasn’t been on my radar until now so maybe I was just glossing over them as well.

Anyway, doing my part I just ordered another Kapara. I’ll keep it in the box and maybe my son or daughter will want it one day, or maybe they won’t and I’ll use it. :D
krikun98

Post by krikun98 »

The Kapara is indeed stunning, and I love M4, but the steel is way too tough for this knife. S90V, on the other hand...
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 2:33 pm
Dazen wrote:
Sumdumguy wrote:
I love M4, but no.

I do agree with this ^

You can order different color backspacers now for the Kapara direct from Alistair Phillips. But sadly, still no purple. :(
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 2:23 pm
I bet there are dealers paying attention though.

There has to be at least one of them (DLT, KC, BHQ?) thinking "I'll take that shot..."
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

JuPaul wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 3:40 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:
Dazen wrote:
Sumdumguy wrote:
I love M4, but no.

I do agree with this ^

You can order different color backspacers now for the Kapara direct from Alistair Phillips. But sadly, still no purple. :(
We should picket!

FUNKY TASTES MATTER!

-Thomas Jefferson
AwayFromMySpydieHole

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 3:55 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 3:40 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:
Dazen wrote:

I do agree with this ^

We should picket!

FUNKY TASTES MATTER!

I absolutely love purple also. We should send him an email petition. Haha
sal

Post by sal »

I Agree that the Kapara is an exquisite design. It was my responsibility to drive the project and to work with Ali. It began with a slip joint he designed. The actual finished model took 2 years and another year for production.

No need to picket, As Tom said, the dealers and distributors do watch and listen to what you ask for.

sal