Ok, so the Kapara is really good. Better than I thought. Especially in M4!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sumdumguy

Re: Ok, so the Kapara is really good. Better than I thought. Especially in M4!

Post by Sumdumguy »

If it's Salty, I wouldn't be salty...

(This is the only place I can think of where the term Salty is a good thing, haha.)
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
CAD

Post by CAD »

I’ve been looking but can’t find any in stock as of today...
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

The Kapara does need to live on, for a very long time! :)

With it having Carbon Fiber though, and a hint towards being a food prep centric knife, by it's designer. I have to vote for S90V, in the future for it. And I'm sure, that Spyderco has got pile of that lying around too! :spyder:
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

CAD wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 8:12 pm
I’ve been looking but can’t find any in stock as of today...
The Kapara is in stock at Knives Ship Free, KnifeWorks, and DLT Trading.
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

A family member stopped by last night with a kapara. This was the first time that I handled one and all I can say is wow. What a great knife. I'm sold on it, but not in s30v. If it's offered in anything but s30v, I'm a buyer.
Danvp

Post by Danvp »

I think the Kapara is a great design too. However there could be some improvements made to it. I am sure it has been said before. The cut-out for releasing the compression lock is a bit to small for your finger. The CF handles are slippery (dry and wet). These two combined together makes closing the knife a bit more difficult.

The ergos on the Kapara are stellar. If the handle material was a bit gripier it would beat the ergos on a Paramilitary 2 for me. The Kapara not having a big thumb ramp or jimping is in my opinion a good choice too. Cutting vegetables is a fun thing to do with this knife. Albeit that my kitchen knives are better up to this task. I don’t like it when the pivot area gets wet or dirty.

I understand the wish for other steels. It is one of Spyderco’s USP. However, S30V is a very balanced stainless steel and in my opinion a good choice for the Kapara. Rather see the above mentioned shortcomings fixed.

Anyway, I am also sure that another steel option would centainly aid in selling more Kapara’s. LC200N would be my pick, or VG10. A tool steel is less appropriate for the original purpose of this knife. When mainly used for EDC a tool steel will do great. M4 is also one of my favorites. A little voice in my head is saying something different...cruwear, cruwear.....
AwayFromMySpydieHole

Post by AwayFromMySpydieHole »

Danvp wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:00 am
I think the Kapara is a great design too. However there could be some improvements made to it. I am sure it has been said before. The cut-out for releasing the compression lock is a bit to small for your finger. The CF handles are slippery (dry and wet). These two combined together makes closing the knife a bit more difficult.

The ergos on the Kapara are stellar. If the handle material was a bit gripier it would beat the ergos on a Paramilitary 2 for me. The Kapara not having a big thumb ramp or jimping is in my opinion a good choice too. Cutting vegetables is a fun thing to do with this knife. Albeit that my kitchen knives are better up to this task. I don’t like it when the pivot area gets wet or dirty.

I understand the wish for other steels. It is one of Spyderco’s USP. However, S30V is a very balanced stainless steel and in my opinion a good choice for the Kapara. Rather see the above mentioned shortcomings fixed.

Anyway, I am also sure that another steel option would centainly aid in selling more Kapara’s. LC200N would be my pick, or VG10. A tool steel is less appropriate for the original purpose of this knife. When mainly used for EDC a tool steel will do great. M4 is also one of my favorites. A little voice in my head is saying something different...cruwear, cruwear.....

I agree, s30v is more that adequate and I actually really enjoy it. S30v gets a bad rap because it's so ubiquitous, but it's actually a VERY solid peformer. I would be totally fine with it never getting a sprint, as long as it stayed as a regular production model. It is just too good of a knife to discontinue.

The lock cutout bothered me for a split second, but then I changed my method of unlocking and it's not a problem anymore. On the PM2 you can actuate the lock with the pad of your finger. Trying that on the kapara is uncomfortable, but if you switch to using the very tip of your finger it's easy.

I am just shocked at how much I enjoy this knife. I hope other people try it and find the same thing. About the time I fell in love with the GB2 (had always loved the GB1 since 2009) it went OOS everywhere to be never restocked. I don't want that to happen with the Kapara. So I'm trying to build some more hype around it.

:D
Danvp

Post by Danvp »

Unlocking with the tip of your finger is indeed the way to go. I can imagine why the cutout is not a little bit bigger. If the handle stays the same, your finger will hit the edge of the knife when closing. This can be solved by adjusting the handle a bit. However this on its turn will influence the ergonomics...

It’s not that easy. I respect the job of a knifedesigner. You have to pay attention to a lot of details. And again, I think the Kapara is a masterpiece. A must have for every spydiefan.