Want to go to the big leagues....Manix 2 XL or Military

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bdblue

Re: Want to go to the big leagues....Manix 2 XL or Military

Post by bdblue »

I like both models but my impression is that more people like the Military than the Manix2 XL. The Military is available in a lot more variations than the Manix2 XL, however you can sometimes find the Manix2 XL used for a good price.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

If you do go for the Manix 2 XL, BladeHQ is supposed to drop their M4 exclusive with Jade G-10 this Friday at 9am. And there's a DLC version too if you're into that.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I like the Military as a whole. It is a great design and you should have at least one. I like the lock better on the Manix XL.

To throw a wrench into the works, what about the Native Chief? It seems to have great attributes.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Wanted to detail my previous post:

Under the premise that you, as you said, don´t mind the size and weight (though the latter really is not that much for knife that size) in pocket, I´d still recommend the Manix XL. Could handle one, and as soon as you really have it in hand it is just an amazing tool! Great ergos, and really feels indestructible, while still having a rather thin and slicey blade (thinner stock than the Millie, at least where the blade starts).
I personally felt though like I´d almost never really wanted to actually carry a package as big as the Manix XL in pocket, and in most occasions where I´d use it I´d probably go straight to a fixed blade...

As an EDC knife that I carry day to day I´d take the Millie over the Manix XL, no doubt. Also great, very comfy ergos, I like the way the blade is angled in relation to the grip, and the Millie really makes clear that a good linerlock is not outdated at all... only things I did not like (don´t have mine anymore): Only tip down carry and I was always worried about the fine tip, so I hesitated sometimes to put it to work as "hard" as I would have otherwise (to be fair: The tip actually took no damage at all in my use!)

Generally I think the Millie is such a classic, iconic and proven design that everyone should at least try and experience it at one point in time...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

if you want a caribbean, you should hold out for one. they seem like great knives and i can’t wait for the cqi and for them to be restocked. if you are worried about serrations, check out some of the threads here discussing the benefits, specifically one posted by evil d.

if you can’t wait, i second the resilience. it’s a great piece and doesn’t feel like a budget knife to me. spyderco does a great job with their 8cr13mov compared to other companies. i really wanted a manix 2 xl until i got a resilience and found i liked it better.

i’ve only handled a friend's manix 2 xl long enough to realize i like the regular manix 2 better. i didn’t experience any blade play or anything, but the manix 2 is almost the perfect knife. the only thing that could make it better is if it was a salt, which is partially why i really want a caribbean.

i’ve never handled a military. it’s not my thing, personally. i prefer tip up carry and spyderco specific locks like the comp lock and cbbl.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Theldraskien

Post by Theldraskien »

The one issue I have with the Resilience is that it either has a large amount of side to side blade play or the centering is off. I have three of them and they’re great beaters, but at the same time they do feel like budget versions of a great design. I’ve tried everything I can think of and I can’t dial out the blade play without the tip of the blade ending up nearly touching the inside of the liner. I to not have this issue at all with the Tenacious.

I thought it might have something to do with compression on the nylon washers but that’s beyond my expertise.
prsman

Post by prsman »

Theldraskien wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:52 am
The one issue I have with the Resilience is that it either has a large amount of side to side blade play or the centering is off. I have three of them and they’re great beaters, but at the same time they do feel like budget versions of a great design. I’ve tried everything I can think of and I can’t dial out the blade play without the tip of the blade ending up nearly touching the inside of the liner. I to not have this issue at all with the Tenacious.

I thought it might have something to do with compression on the nylon washers but that’s beyond my expertise.
After touching up my Tenacious and PM2 this eve, i think I’m gonna grab a Resilience and wait it out for a Caribbean.

I love the wicked edge I can get on the Tenacious.

That being said, I might unload the PM2 and grab a Manix XL also. I much prefer the ergos of the Tenacious over the PM2, so I’m presuming I would prefer the Manix XL over a PM2 or Military.

I like big knives. Carrying anything smaller than my tenacious doesn’t excite me...lol

I’ve used many SEs over the years but always seem to gravitate back to the plain stuff.

Man, when are the cqi Caribbeans hitting the market?

Thanks for all the great feedback/input...much appreciated 🤜
acer

Post by acer »

Military , just got to have at least 1 military. The manix 2 in the Xl is a superb knife feels great in hand . Don’t overlock the native chief .Enjoy
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

prsman wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:10 pm
Theldraskien wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:52 am

After touching up my Tenacious and PM2 this eve, i think I’m gonna grab a Resilience and wait it out for a Caribbean.

I love the wicked edge I can get on the Tenacious.

That being said, I might unload the PM2 and grab a Manix XL also. I much prefer the ergos of the Tenacious over the PM2, so I’m presuming I would prefer the Manix XL over a PM2 or Military.

I like big knives. Carrying anything smaller than my tenacious doesn’t excite me...lol

I’ve used many SEs over the years but always seem to gravitate back to the plain stuff.

Man, when are the cqi Caribbeans hitting the market?

Thanks for all the great feedback/input...much appreciated 🤜

Endura? Pac Salt?

If the latter, definitely try it in SE. Even if you still prefer PE (as you said), you certainly won´t regret to have at least one H1 SE knife in your arsenal! If not as a frequent EDC, then at least just as an amazing tool that can complement your SE knives and will stay sharp a lot longer in harder tasks...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
prsman

Post by prsman »

Cheers for all of the cool advice!!

Well, I pulled the trigger and ordered up a Manix XL.

Pics will come once she arrives 🤜