Rex 45 Native G10

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
samdasnake

Rex 45 Native G10

Post by samdasnake »

Available at least for now https://stcloudknives.com/products/spyd ... c41gpbore/

Not for me but thought some of y'all would be interested.
jdw

Re: Rex 45 Native G10

Post by jdw »

I am surprised that there is still this and the lw version available at retailers out there.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

It seems as though the natives are restless...lol
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

I bought the frn and love it! Glad I could snag one and add to the collection of natives(3)
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

I think National Knives still has both versions as well. Crazy to me! I can't speak for the frn one, but the g10 native is excellent: so smooth, and beautiful f&f.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Both are sitting here on my desk. And you're right, I'd think these would be snapped right up! Did Spyderco make TOO MANY of a Sprint run?
😲🤣

Between the two, I like the LOOK of the FRN better. The pattern and the curvaceousness has better aesthetics for me. Plus, it's half an ounce lighter. The G10, on the other hand, functions more smoothly with its pivot washers.

It occurs to me that it might be fun to source a couple washers for the FRN version, which would probably involve milling down the pivot area. Hmm... maybe it sounds more fun than it would actually be. The knife runs fine as it is, so it's probably best to just leave it as it is.
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

Cowboyfromhell wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 6:45 am
I bought the frn and love it! Glad I could snag one and add to the collection of natives(3)
I grabbed an FRN one as well. I was thinking about having this g10 version as well but I don't want to buy more than I'll use. Really looking forward to my LW coming in the mail soon.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

The LW is a smoking deal. Amazing price for a superb knife in an amazing steel.

I like the G-10 version too, but with the relative prices it's easier to understand why the G-10 is still available.
DTPrime

Post by DTPrime »

TomAiello wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 1:34 pm
The LW is a smoking deal. Amazing price for a superb knife in an amazing steel.
Seriously, I'm surprised both are still easily available but especially the LW. I love the G10 myself but for the price I would have thought the LW would be an insta-sellout, just goes to show not all sprints are equal once again.

I imagine the relatively crazy low price of the Manix G10 hurt the perceived value of both too, though those are hard to find under $160 now anyway. Wouldn't be surprised if people are holding out for the Lil/Chief/Shaman variants and when those inevitably sell out quick I imagine the Natives will get some more interest.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Everyone waiting for the manix lw, shaman, chief, I guess
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

On a side note...I much prefer the color of the frn to the g10.
marshmallow

Post by marshmallow »

Question regarding the Native 5 Salt: The blade is LC200N...what about the steel on the back-lock? The back-lock is pretty thick, is it also made of LC200N? (Curious since I need to know if I need to rustproof lube it)
"stay puft."
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

marshmallow wrote: Question regarding the Native 5 Salt: The blade is LC200N...what about the steel on the back-lock? The back-lock is pretty thick, is it also made of LC200N? (Curious since I need to know if I need to rustproof lube it)
I dont know what the lockbar is, though I suspect it is lc200n. I dont know what the lockbar spring or screws are but I suspect they are marine grade stainless. All salts are essentially rustproof out of the box, you do not need to do anything to them.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."