Shaman sprints in stainless?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Abyss_Fish

Shaman sprints in stainless?

Post by Abyss_Fish »

hey hey hey

I absolutely love the shaman's concept, a reinforced design at a reasonable size. A pocket shovel as you will. But I have a slight problem with the sprints. They're all tool steels, and live in Minnesota, where if it's not 85% humidity it's snowing.

So hey Sal! this is a humble plea. release the shaman in a fancy stainless or two! WHO'S WITH ME

The obvious choice is 20cv or an equivalent, but something more interesting would be neat, **** make a salt version, I can't ever have enough lc200n.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
sal

Re: Shaman sprints in stainless?

Post by sal »

Hi Abyss_Fish,

Welcome to our forum.

I'm sure you are not alone.

You're part of the world is having some issues. Be safe.

sal
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

I would bet money that we'll see a red g10/m390 shaman from DLT Trading this year.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

There was one in s90v.
Also embrace the tool steel patina.
No, I get it, sometimes its nice to have stainless especially for an edc that gets a lot of pocket time.

S45vn sprint?
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Yup, there was a CF/S90V.

I expect a M390/204P/20CV to happen soon.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

KnifeWorks 204P, in that amazing shade of green :D
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I also expect dlt to have one coming soon. Seconding the overall request, as these summer months have even cruwear needing extra protection.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

thanks sal, I'm glad I'm not to close to the city.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 10:56 am
KnifeWorks 204P, in that amazing shade of green :D
That would be an easy sell!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I think the Shaman platform kind of asks for a high toughness steel. I'd love to see a 3v Shaman, for example.

I think the most interesting stainless shaman would be H1 and SE. That would be a very unique tool. Super thick and tough, able to take any amount of abuse or neglect, very overbuilt--it'd be a sort of folding survival tool. Not sure that would sell, though.

What about an LC200n Shaman Salt?
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I'd love a shaman salt.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

As pointed out above, the likelihood of a M390/204P/20CV variant is high. And that's just for a kick-off. I reckon a production S110V/blurple would wind this place up! And while we're at it, the Chief needs the 52100/PPCF treatment.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
JMM

Post by JMM »

TomAiello wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 1:10 pm
I think the Shaman platform kind of asks for a high toughness steel. I'd love to see a 3v Shaman, for example.

I think the most interesting stainless shaman would be H1 and SE. That would be a very unique tool. Super thick and tough, able to take any amount of abuse or neglect, very overbuilt--it'd be a sort of folding survival tool. Not sure that would sell, though.

What about an LC200n Shaman Salt?

Just my 2c based on my experience, I really don't think 3V is a good steel for any folder, although I guess if it were to be in a Spyderco folder the Shaman would be the right call. After having the Spyderco 3V Tuff for about a month & then selling it -- it couldn't hold an edge better than my decade old 154CM Manix. I can see merits of 3V in a fixed blade that you could baton the crap out of whilst camping or whatever, but to me it seems like there are a whole stack of other steels that would be a better fit than 3V. Although, with my addiction to the Shaman platform as a whole I can't say for sure that I wouldn't buy one just because... but K390, now that will be magnaflorious! :D

Cheers,

John
Gamecock

Post by Gamecock »

I’m definitely with you on the stainless Shaman. Tool steels sell like crazy apparently, but they are not for me...I like mine stainless. A green micarta Shaman with M390 would be perfect...or blue denim micarta.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I'd be up for an LC200N Shaman.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Gamecock wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 9:16 pm
I’m definitely with you on the stainless Shaman. Tool steels sell like crazy apparently, but they are not for me...I like mine stainless. A green micarta Shaman with M390 would be perfect.
I bet Knifeworks could do that, with their 204p/green exclusive combo.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

JMM wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 8:08 pm
Although, with my addiction to the Shaman platform as a whole I can't say for sure that I wouldn't buy one just because... but K390, now that will be magnaflorious! :D
I'm not addicted to the Shaman platform, but I'm pretty much addicted to K390, so I'd definitely buy a K390 Shaman. Not sure how much pocket time it would get competing against 4v, but I'd definitely buy it and find out.
JMM

Post by JMM »

TomAiello wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 10:03 pm
JMM wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 8:08 pm
Although, with my addiction to the Shaman platform as a whole I can't say for sure that I wouldn't buy one just because... but K390, now that will be magnaflorious! :D
I'm not addicted to the Shaman platform, but I'm pretty much addicted to K390, so I'd definitely buy a K390 Shaman. Not sure how much pocket time it would get competing against 4v, but I'd definitely buy it and find out.

Yeah, my fave 4 steels are 4V, Rex45, K390, & CruWear, I have 3 of em' in a Shaman, I think after the first few weeks of 'oooh, shiny' wears off of the K390, I'll probably rotate between 4V, Rex45, & K390 pretty evenly... given what an absurd amount I paid for my CruWear Shaman one would think that I'd use it more, but it honestly gets next to zero pocket time any more... ;)
Haunted House

Post by Haunted House »

Hey Abyss,
For what it’s worth, I live in Georgia where you can almost count the days on your hand when the humidity is under 50%.
90%+ almost feels like the norm most of the year, and I daily carry Cruwear, Hap40 & 52100 (which i believe is the most rust prone steel in Spyderco lineup).
The Cruwear & hap haven’t even shown a hint of rust, and the 52100 has 2 tiny marks that will come right off whenever I get around to hitting it with a rust eraser.
I throw a few drops of gun oil, fishing reel oil or whatever oil I have handy on it here and there, and that’s the extent of maintenance I do for these tool steels (and I rarely even bother oiling the Cruwear or hap anymore as they just haven’t shown they need it).

I say this to echo the others sentiments- tool steel is freaking amazing and not near as rust prone as one might think. There’s a reason people are going crazy for these tool steels Spyderco is bringing to the market.

With that said, off the top of my head there’s a regular edition S30v shaman and a S90v shaman(which is the most badass stainless steel imo) if one needs a stainless shaman asap.
I don’t really know what stainless would flat out best those 2.
We saw in Larin’s recent test thread that those 2 pretty much run circles around every other stainless knife steel.
Maybe 20cv is “tougher”? But the knife world is literally drowning in 20cv right now.
If I had to wager, I’d guess we might see a SPY27 or S45v Shaman. LC200n maybe? Probably a 20cv too.

In the mean time, I say get a tool steel shaman and give it ****!
At worst, your blade will have a little character to it and look like it’s been put to good use.

Take care and stay safe up there.
Azilla21

Post by Azilla21 »

I live in Guam. You can’t get any more humid then being here on a tropical island where it’s hot/humid all year long. I carry my shamans in 4v, cru wear, and Rex 45. I haven’t had any problems with them rusting as long as I keep them dry and oil them occasionally. I think shaman’s are meant for harder use and tool steels are perfect for this platform.