What’s Your Favorite Underrated Sleeper Knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: What’s Your Favorite Underrated Sleeper Knife?

Post by JD Spydo »

TomAiello wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 9:44 am
Des Horn.

Super sleek, great pointy tip for precise work, excellent production quality.

I never hear anyone talk about them though.
That Des Horn model is one that I very much wanted but never got around to getting one. Also I'm hoping at some point that they might consider a Sprint Run with a different blade steel. It was a very sleek and stealthy design. I've always had a love for those types of blades. You could put it in a class with the JD Smith, Ayoob and Viele models. I very much agree with that one :spyder:
Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

I'd have to go with the D'Allara 3. It had the potential to be a very popular model. I believe the cost of G10 models out of Seki City killed it before many people got the opportunity to try out such an amazing design.
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Frozenspyder wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 2:04 pm
I'd have to go with the D'Allara 3. It had the potential to be a very popular model. I believe the cost of G10 models out of Seki City killed it before many people got the opportunity to try out such an amazing design.
I remember thinking that one looked interesting until I saw the price.

I can't fathom why it cost nearly twice as much as a manix 2. Both are s30v and lined g10 with a ball bearing lock and about the same size. You could have had an S110v/g10 manix 2 for $50 less.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

The dallara 3 looked like a great griptilian alternative that was not popular, even at blow out pricing

Centofante 3 is my pick - been around forever, thin stock, high hollow grind - blade all the way to the handle
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

GarageBoy wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 2:43 pm
The dallara 3 looked like a great griptilian alternative that was not popular, even at blow out pricing

Centofante 3 is my pick - been around forever, thin stock, high hollow grind - blade all the way to the handle
Centofante 3 is a great call and a great knife. Love that thin hollow grind. I just wish they'd update it to screw construction, I like being able to tighten things up on a knife when needed.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Nate wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 4:13 pm
^Beat me to it, but yes, Baby Horn all the way.

(Somehow STILL available, though stock may be starting to get low.)
That blows me away, everytime I see them. I need to hurry up and get another while I still can.

I've been thinking about sending one out to have a custom replica built, but made completely out of LC200N.
White/Ivory G10.

My true dream knife, but that would probably be the only way it would ever happen.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 4:42 pm
Nate wrote:

That blows me away, everytime I see them. I need to hurry up and get another while I still can.

I've been thinking about sending one out to have a custom replica built, but made completely out of LC200N.
White/Ivory G10.

My true dream knife, but that would probably be the only way it would ever happen.
That's one i see available at KnifeWorks and am always tempted to get, such a cool design on a little knife and not an outrageous price. For whatever reason I just haven't pulled the trigger yet. Not that the clip should be a deciding factor, but it really looks out of place.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

My favorite "sleeper" model in the fixed blade category>> it is mostly unknown most people like the Stainless RESCUE I mentioned earlier. The TEMPERANCE 1 model from back in the 2004-2006 era is still my favorite fixed blade Spyder. I put it in the "sleeper" category because to this day only about 1 out 5 people I talk to on this forum even knows that the TEMP 1 model even exists. And I liked it in PE & SE both. It is a beast in SE :cool:
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 5:33 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 4:42 pm
Nate wrote:

White/Ivory G10.

That's one i see available at KnifeWorks and am always tempted to get, such a cool design on a little knife and not an outrageous price. For whatever reason I just haven't pulled the trigger yet. Not that the clip should be a deciding factor, but it really looks out of place.
Rule #1 Remove the clip.

That is a requirement for me.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

VooDooChild wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 10:32 am
I dont even have one, but I do plan on getting one eventually. The Pattada looks great.
It is great, especially if you like splinter picker tips. I think the only thing pointier I have from Spyderco is the Dyad. Comfortable handle - Spyderco needs to do more G10 that's not just a flat slab of peel ply pattern - good slicer, classic looks...

Another underrated knife from the last few years that I don't think anyone has mentioned yet - the Hundred Pacer.
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

brj wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 12:01 am
What's the one on the bottom? It looks like an OTF but I didn't think Spyderco had ever made one.
Ric

Post by Ric »

Its a janisong. Compareable with a Balisong.

Sleeper: Dragonfly

Any Spyderco knife you give to a non-knife person.
The are all super sharp cutting machines out of the box.
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

After thinking about it for a good while, I have to say the SuperLeaf.
It just never got the appreciation it deserved IMO.
I still have mine in rotation regularly and it's one of the few knives I got a backup for in case I ever lose it or something.
yowzer wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:49 am
What's the one on the bottom? It looks like an OTF but I didn't think Spyderco had ever made one.
That's the Spyderco Janisong ;)
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

DutchBlades wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:05 pm
After thinking about it for a good while, I have to say the SuperLeaf.
I remember when I first caught the bug, wondering why the Superleaf didn't get as much love as the PM2, when they were so similar. I realize they're not really that similar, but I still have my Superleaf in my desk drawer and use it occasionally. Unfortunately, I did a lot of learning to sharpen on it, so it's not in the best condition at this point.
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

TomAiello wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:13 pm
I remember when I first caught the bug, wondering why the Superleaf didn't get as much love as the PM2, when they were so similar. I realize they're not really that similar, but I still have my Superleaf in my desk drawer and use it occasionally. Unfortunately, I did a lot of learning to sharpen on it, so it's not in the best condition at this point.
It might be the thicker blade stock or the fact that it's a bit wider in the pocket, but I don't mind it at all.
Still want to get the Superhawk as well if it ever finds it's way onto my path :)
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

My favorite is the Hawkbill Dragonfly, you don't know what you're missing. A take me just about anywhere all weather land or sea pocket public friendly EDC. With a blade shape and size that will reveal it's function and worth the more you use it. It's only minus is the yellow or nothing color option (rit dye is your friend here).

Also...

The Wharncliffe Delica/ Endura are laser beams. Only a ZDP production version could make them better (the hap40 sprint is amazing, but gone)

The entire ZDP-189 line up is tragically slept upon. Some of the best/affordable slicers in the line up.

The Hungarian... I should have bought one.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 4:53 am
I for one am looking forward to a straight spine Stretch in k390.

DITTO! Although a stainless (semi-stainless) super steel would be super appreciated. A Straight Spine Stretch in Cruwear or m390 could be my everything knife!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The Ulize is an odd looking knife that I think a lot of people passed on based on looks, but they're actually amazing ergonomically and very strong performers.

Centofante 3 and 4, really excellent knives that I would take over a Delica every single time.

Nilakka, maybe not for everyone but I was blown away by this knife. It's one of the best builds that Taichung has done IMO.

Caribbean, just because it's the best knife available right now. There's a chance I might be biased on this one.

Southard, perhaps as an honorable mention since it did get some attention initially but faded away, Spyderco's first flipper and to this day I think the best flipping action of any that they've put out thanks to one of the strongest detents I've ever felt from Spyderco. Not the best slicer but I once made a thread comparing it to the Military for how much edge it packs into a compact size.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:28 pm
The Ulize is an odd looking knife that I think a lot of people passed on based on looks, but they're actually amazing ergonomically and very strong performers.

Caribbean, just because it's the best knife available right now. There's a chance I might be biased on this one.
Those are some awesome knives.

No bias, the Caribbean is the best knife currently made by Spyderco.

The Ulize is a surprisingly excellent knife. It shouldn't be, but it is.

-Thomas Jefferson
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:45 pm
Evil D wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:28 pm

Those are some awesome knives.

No bias, the Caribbean is the best knife currently made by Spyderco.

The Ulize is a surprisingly excellent knife. It shouldn't be, but it is.
Caribbean...in SE or PE, leaf blade or sheepsfoot? Or are they all in that "best knife" category? It's been on my "someday" list for a while, but which one to get??
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.