Gauntlet vs Sharpmaker

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
samdasnake

Gauntlet vs Sharpmaker

Post by samdasnake »

I’m in the market for a new sharpener and am trying to decide b/w the gauntlet and the sharpmaker. They seem like a similar setup but the sharpmaker gives an additional angle option. Which do y’all prefer?
Wartstein

Re: Gauntlet vs Sharpmaker

Post by Wartstein »

Don´t have the Gauntlet, but quite a bit experience with the Sharpmaker.

From what I can read about the Gauntlet: If you are a bit deeper into knives and sharpening (like most on this forum) I´d certainly go Sharpmaker! The additional 30 degree option is a HUGE plus imho, plus you can get more grits concerning the rods with the SM!

Just from the description: The "gap" between the only two types of rods you can get with the Gauntlet (CBN and fine (!) ceramics) is immense imho... the sharpmaker on the other hand offers the medium brown rods in between (still a rather big step from the CBN maybe) plus ultrafine rods additionally to the fine rods (and diamonds as alternative to CBN)

I feel no need for the UF rods, but the browns are very important to me! Basically I could do all the sharpening for my needs on just those, as long as I don´t let my knives let go too dull..
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I want more angles not less. Sharpmaker for me.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
blues

Post by blues »

Agree with the esteemed gentlemen above.
- Retired from the chase -
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

blues wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 3:25 pm

Had to look up "esteemed" (new English word for me), but now that I did I am honored, my friend... ;)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
blues

Post by blues »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 4:30 pm
blues wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 3:25 pm

Had to look up "esteemed" (new English word for me), but now that I did I am honored, my friend... ;)
Gern geschehen. :cool:

(No, I don't speak the language. I had to look it up. ;) )
- Retired from the chase -
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i might be wrong, but the gauntlet gave me vibes that it was meant for kitchen knives rather than harder use folders and such. i’ve tried a few other sharpening systems and i really like the sharpmaker.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

I have both.

I much prefer the Gauntlet. The eliptical stones used in the Gauntlet are much easier to use, especially in regards to consistently getting a razor sharp tip. I never had much luck with the Sharpmaker, but I can very easily get plastic film melting edges with the Gauntlet.

The rotational holder of the gauntlet is also great. I keep the right side stone flat, while the left side stone curved 1 turn inwards, as this combo better fits the movement of my arm, allowing me to keep more consistent contact with the stone.

The base of the Gauntlet...frankly its terrible. Super bulky, no secure method of carrying the stones for traveling, and only a 20 degree sharpening angle. Its terrible. All for the dubious goal of providing more hand safety; the vast majority of knife sharpeners have no safety at all, yet there is no epidemic of missing fingers.

I'd like to 3D print a new base for my Gauntlet stones. Something like a narrower version of the Lansky Turn Box (~1.5x1.5x8") that holds both stones securely inside the box, and has 15, 20, and 25 degree sharpening angles.

Biggest issue is trying to create a drawing of the star pattern inserts used to hold the eliptical stones.

Overall while the Sharpmaker is more versatile and has a farrrrrrr better base, the stones on The Gauntlet are really next level and easy to use, and so I would recommend the Gauntlet.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

mark greenman wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 12:12 am
I have both.

I much prefer the Gauntlet. The eliptical stones used in the Gauntlet are much easier to use, especially in regards to consistently getting a razor sharp tip. I never had much luck with the Sharpmaker, but I can very easily get plastic film melting edges with the Gauntlet.

The rotational holder of the gauntlet is also great. I keep the right side stone flat, while the left side stone curved 1 turn inwards, as this combo better fits the movement of my arm, allowing me to keep more consistent contact with the stone.

The base of the Gauntlet...frankly its terrible. Super bulky, no secure method of carrying the stones for traveling, and only a 20 degree sharpening angle. Its terrible. All for the dubious goal of providing more hand safety; the vast majority of knife sharpeners have no safety at all, yet there is no epidemic of missing fingers.

I'd like to 3D print a new base for my Gauntlet stones. Something like a narrower version of the Lansky Turn Box (~1.5x1.5x8") that holds both stones securely inside the box, and has 15, 20, and 25 degree sharpening angles.

Biggest issue is trying to create a drawing of the star pattern inserts used to hold the eliptical stones.

Overall while the Sharpmaker is more versatile and has a farrrrrrr better base, the stones on The Gauntlet are really next level and easy to use, and so I would recommend the Gauntlet.

As said, I don´t have the Gauntlet, but still: Don´t you feel that the just two very far apart grits ( very abrasive CBN and than fine!) the rods are offered in are a bit of a drawback? No medium / brown rods?

How would you feel about a Sharpmaker 2.0 with eliptical stones and rotational holder (and the 30 degree option plus more additional the diamonds, brown and UF rods available)?
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 12:24 am
mark greenman wrote:
I have both.

As said, I don´t have the Gauntlet, but still: Don´t you feel that the just two very far apart grits ( very abrasive CBN and than fine!) the rods are offered in are a bit of a drawback? No medium / brown rods?

How would you feel about a Sharpmaker 2.0 with eliptical stones and rotational holder (and the 30 degree option plus more additional the diamonds, brown and UF rods available)?
I never use the Brown / 'Medium' stones on any of my knife sharpeners; not the Sharpmaker, not the Lansky, and I didn't even buy them for the Gauntlet.

For edge upkeep, I only use the white stones.

Knife no longer cleanly cuts plastic film (such as that found on a pack of chicken breasts) effortlessly with the tip of the knife? Time for a touch up. Thats my simple pass / fail sharpness barometer.

A touch up is typically a 3-2-1 'countdown' on one of my V sharpeners.

3 passes on the left side of the blade, 3 passes on the right. 2 passes L, 2 passes R. 1 pass L, 1 pass R.

After that countdown, using just the white stones, a 'sharpish' knife is restored to sharp. If the knife has gotten slightly duller, I may go to a 6-1 countdown, but still only need the White stones.

Ultimately, I actually think the CBRN makes more sense then the medium grit. If your edge is at the point where it can't be sharpened with the White stones, then you probably need to remove some metal and reform a 20 degree V, as which point 'Course' is more useful then Medium.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

mark greenman wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 2:48 am
Wartstein wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 12:24 am
mark greenman wrote:

I never use the Brown / 'Medium' stones on any of my knife sharpeners; not the Sharpmaker, not the Lansky, and I didn't even buy them for the Gauntlet.

For edge upkeep, I only use the white stones.

Knife no longer cleanly cuts plastic film (such as that found on a pack of chicken breasts) effortlessly with the tip of the knife? Time for a touch up. Thats my simple pass / fail sharpness barometer.

A touch up is typically a 3-2-1 'countdown' on one of my V sharpeners.

3 passes on the left side of the blade, 3 passes on the right. 2 passes L, 2 passes R. 1 pass L, 1 pass R.

After that countdown, using just the white stones, a 'sharpish' knife is restored to sharp. If the knife has gotten slightly duller, I may go to a 6-1 countdown, but still only need the White stones.

Ultimately, I actually think the CBRN makes more sense then the medium grit. If your edge is at the point where it can't be sharpened with the White stones, then you probably need to remove some metal and reform a 20 degree V, as which point 'Course' is more useful then Medium.
Thanks for your reply!

Actually, there aren´t even brown rods available for the gauntlet, but just CBN and white = fine.

You raise good points, and staying on top and touching up your edges just on the withe stones before they loose high sharpness certainly is a decent way to go!

Some here (me more and more included) like to sharpen more "low grit" though (there is a whole thread on this: viewtopic.php?t=85096) which requires brown rods (at least for me, I think could not get my edges the way I want them just on my CBN rods)

And: IF you have to sharpen a rather dull knife on the Gauntlet you of course have to start with the CBN rods, and after that the "jump" up to the fine / white ones is a pretty far one, I figure? (Personally, on the Sharpmaker, I´d even wish for a rod that is in grit between CBN and the BROWN rods...)

Just my 2c, and keep in mind: Coming from someone who is everything else but a master-sharpener.. ;)
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

If the Gauntlet is fixed at 40 degrees, it's not for me, since I never use that angle on the Sharpmaker anymore, but think I'd prefer the gauntlet oval shaped rods.

I never use the brown sharpmaker rods anymore, just the diamond/cbn and fine white, but never max out the white.
I would replace the white ceramic rods with extra fine diamond if they were available.

Away from home, I carry small coarse and extra fine diamond plates. This provides me with a wide range of edge finishes that cover everything I use a knife for.
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

jpm2 wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 1:36 pm
If the Gauntlet is fixed at 40 degrees, it's not for me, since I never use that angle on the Sharpmaker anymore, but think I'd prefer the gauntlet oval shaped rods.
Yes, the Sharpmaker has the much better base / more angles, but the Oval stones in the Gauntlet are superior to the triangle stones.

Much easier to use and they conform better to the blade then the triangle stones. They pair the best attributes of a Round Rod and the triangle stone, and then create something better, at least in terms of use as a V-sharpener.

I fell in love with them a few years ago testing out the Gauntlet prototype at SHOT.

Hopefully Spyderco will take the Oval stones are pair them with a better / more versatile base in the future.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

mark greenman wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 3:08 pm
jpm2 wrote:
Yes, the Sharpmaker has the much better base / more angles, but the Oval stones in the Gauntlet are superior to the triangle stones.

Much easier to use and they conform better to the blade then the triangle stones. They pair the best attributes of a Round Rod and the triangle stone, and then create something better, at least in terms of use as a V-sharpener.

I fell in love with them a few years ago testing out the Gauntlet prototype at SHOT.

Hopefully Spyderco will take the Oval stones are pair them with a better / more versatile base in the future.
Or just give a "CQI" Sharpmaker 2.0 oval stones... (though I can´t tell if they´d be better for me, never tried them and am happy with the triangle stones)
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 3:18 pm
mark greenman wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 3:08 pm
jpm2 wrote:

Or just give a "CQI" Sharpmaker 2.0 oval stones... (though I can´t tell if they´d be better for me, never tried them and am happy with the triangle stones)
Well, the Triangle stones are 50/50 CQI.

They are absolutely easier to use then the Triangle stones for use in a V sharpener.

However, with the Sharpmaker, the Triangle stones do allow the stones to be mounted flat, as a sort of Bench Stone. Plus the inner groove for sharpening darts.

I'd personally like to see the Sharpmaker QUI'd with its traingle stones, and then see the Oval stones used in their own, 'mini sharpmaker' thats easier to use and easier to transport.

As of right now, I think I might be the only one with a Gauntlet, at least in terms of internet reviews. Which is really a shame as the stones are superb.
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

I think an updated Sharpmaker with elliptical stones sounds great. It would be really nice to see the best feature of the two platforms merged into one awesome sharpener.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Resurrecting an ancient thread:

I'm asking this question right at this moment. There are are couple mealy-mouthed reviews, but this thread is the only one I've found were people actually express their opinions of which is best. I'm currently looking at all the regular sources to find the best price.

Thanks for the advice, everyone!
Ric

Post by Ric »

For general knives (mostly kitchen knives) I prefer the gauntlet.
I have the diamond and fine stones.

For special Spydercos, EDC,… I prefer the sharpmaker and diamond stones.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

I sold my Sharpmaker a while back. I regret that. I haven't used a Gauntlet, but I can already spot a few important differences. I don't miss my Sharpmaker because my water stones are "worse". I miss the Sharpmaker because of its flexibility. Ever have an opening hole that had edges just a little too crisp? The triangle shape of the Sharpmaker is a better solution to this problem. You can connect the rods in a variety of different ways, and there are more rods available. I just feel like, right now, the Sharpmaker offers a bit more flexibility. The one glaring excepting being kitchen knives, but my water stones are good enough in this regard.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

RustyIron wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:58 pm
Resurrecting an ancient thread:

I'm asking this question right at this moment. There are are couple mealy-mouthed reviews, but this thread is the only one I've found were people actually express their opinions of which is best. I'm currently looking at all the regular sources to find the best price.

Thanks for the advice, everyone!
I had a thread last month on the Gauntlet Galley V and Sharpmaker.

I think the round cats eye stones are better than the triangle stones.

I think the Galley V (could be) best sharpener because it has the longest stones. But there are no diamond stones for it. The Gauntlet CBN stones will fit, but because they are not made for it, they sit at a 2 degree difference than the fine stones. This would be fine maybe even ideal if the fine stones had the more obtuse angle (allowing for micro bevel), but it's the other way around. So you need to reprofile an additional 2 degrees with the fine stones after you've apexed with the cbn.

The Gauntlet has cbn and fine stones that are longer than the sharpmaker. But shorter than the Galley V. And.... David nailed it with his comment from 2020, more angles wins. The Gauntlet only had one angle and 20DPS at that. The Galley V also only has one angle 10DPS.

It's the story of almost but not quite. The Sharpmaker is still the best......

.....But if the Gauntlet was 15 DPS it would mostly replace the sharpmaker for me, a 12 degree and 15 degree slotted base and I'd never use any thing else. Make the stones as long as the Galley V? EVEN BETTER.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal