Most Ideal PE Or Spyderedge

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
curlyhairedboy

Re: Most Ideal PE Or Spyderedge

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Well, I do have some of the H1 serrations to compare to, and those are pretty pointy as well. Guess we'll see when my Tenacious arrives!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
marshmallow

Post by marshmallow »

is the Salt 2 basically a Pacific Salt 2 mini?
"stay puft."
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

marshmallow wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 7:30 am

Yes it is. Actually the Salt 2 is a linerless and totally rustproof version of the Delica 4, the Pac Salt 2 of the Endura 4 (true evem for blade stock: Salt 2.5mm, Pac Salt 3mm, as it is with Delica vs Endura)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 5:57 pm
PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 4:13 pm

I've found that unless I'm cutting on a surface (i.e. cutting boards), I really have no use for "positively" curved and/or angled blades on my pocket knives. Wharncliffes and hawkbills work better in my day to day cutting tasks. Make it SE and it's even better :)

Negative blade angles or at the very least a neutral angle is where it's at. As you mentioned, unless the knife is something I really plan to use in cutting board type situations I have no use for upswept blades/bellies/angles. The vast majority of stuff I cut I'm holding in my off hand.

That said, a sheepsfoot CAN do food prep if you just keep your fingers out of the way. It isn't ideal, but then no folder is ideal for food prep IMO. This is another one of those "grasping at straws" arguments that I used to make against serrations (food prep I mean).
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

marshmallow wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 7:30 am

It's the same as an Endura to a Delica.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Monty

Post by Monty »

I believe the salt 2 has a slightly thicker handle than the delica.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Monty wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 3:25 pm
Yes, it does.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

tonijedi wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 3:27 pm
Monty wrote:
Yes, it does.

Interesting! They also said this about the Pac Salt 2 (handle thicker than on the Endura), but in that case it's seemingly not true someone who measured the thicknesses said.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 4:11 pm
tonijedi wrote:
Monty wrote:
Yes, it does.

Interesting! They also said this about the Pac Salt 2 (handle thicker than on the Endura), but in that case it's seemingly not true someone who measured the thicknesses said.
I just checked...

Delica 10mm
Salt 2 (Tasman) 10.9mm

Lockbar is thicker too.
Delica 2.50mm
Salt 2 (Tasman) 2.75mm

Measured across where the top screw would be if clip was set up for tip down carry (just above pivot)
-Turbo
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

bbturbodad wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 4:37 pm
Wartstein wrote:
tonijedi wrote:
Monty wrote:
Yes, it does.

I just checked...

Delica 10mm
Salt 2 (Tasman) 10.9mm

Lockbar is thicker too.
Delica 2.50mm
Salt 2 (Tasman) 2.75mm

Measured across where the top screw would be if clip was set up for tip down carry (just above pivot)
Thanks! :)

But the actual bladestock of the Salt still is just 2.5, or 2. 75 like the lockbar?!
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 4:41 pm
bbturbodad wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 4:37 pm
Wartstein wrote:
tonijedi wrote:

Yes, it does.

I just checked...

Delica 10mm
Salt 2 (Tasman) 10.9mm

Lockbar is thicker too.
Delica 2.50mm
Salt 2 (Tasman) 2.75mm

Thanks! :)

But the actual bladestock of the Salt still is just 2.5, or 2. 75 like the lockbar?!
Yes bladestock is 2.5. I never noticed this until today?

Here's a pic...
-Turbo
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

One thing that drives people from ever using one of Spyderco's models with Teeth. One must consider that not all serrated blades are created equal. But once a person actually tries and uses a true-blue SPYDEREDGE they immediately change their way of thinking.

There are many Spyderco models that I love just as much in SE and I do in PE. One model that immediately comes to mind is the C-60 Ayoob model. That model is awesome on both edge types.

I do think that David and I both agree that the ULIZE model would be a much, much better folder in SE. And why Spyderco doesn't at least offer up one "Recurve" model in SE. The ULIZE or SPYKER in SE would be a "Dream Come True".
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I'd be down for a ulize in s30v and spyderedge...
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 11:37 am
I'd be down for a ulize in s30v and spyderedge...
Hey "curlyhairedboy" I'm just curious? Being you like S30V in SE I'm wondering if you ever tried it's predecessor 440V in SE?. Because I love 440V in SE and that I think would be even a better pick for a serrated ULIZE model.

But on the other hand I wouldn't let an item like a blade steel selection bother me if they did decide to go ahead and do that for us.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I'll be honest, I haven't tried 440v!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd buy a SE Ulize in 8CR if that's what it takes to get one into production. I'm in for literally any steel Spyderco has ever used, doesn't matter.
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Like EVIL D pointed out quite some time ago that serrated blades in full flat grind make for a really aggressive cutter. The Stretch immediately comes to mind as well as the big C-54 Calypso which is one of my all time favorite serrated blades. Also serrated edges with a belly or even a slight belly like the one on the original C-44 Dyad. Also the first run serrated Ayoob model is a very agressive cutter as well.

But EVIL D is right>> we need more Spyderedges on full flat grinds.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I’ve had my eye on the SE Endela, as I’ve always had good luck with SE VG-10, plus it’s FFG. Up to now, I’ve never owned a Spyderco that is both SE and FFG. Maybe someday, when the income starts flowing again. :)

Jim
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 12:01 pm
Like EVIL D pointed out quite some time ago that serrated blades in full flat grind make for a really aggressive cutter. The Stretch immediately comes to mind as well as the big C-54 Calypso which is one of my all time favorite serrated blades. Also serrated edges with a belly or even a slight belly like the one on the original C-44 Dyad. Also the first run serrated Ayoob model is a very agressive cutter as well.

It was the SE Stretch that opened my eyes to it. It's a fairly thin blade especially towards the tip. It was really the SE Stretch that brought me to love SE, despite the fact that my very first Spyderco was a SE Native, it just didn't click until I got that Stretch.
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 3:09 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 12:01 pm

It was the SE Stretch that opened my eyes to it. It's a fairly thin blade especially towards the tip. It was really the SE Stretch that brought me to love SE, despite the fact that my very first Spyderco was a SE Native, it just didn't click until I got that Stretch.
If you ever get a chance to get your hands on a first generation C-54 Calypso in SE. If you liked that Stretch in SE then you'll love that big Calypso. It was one of the biggest regrets I've had to this day when I traded mine away.

I'm still just baffled why Spyderco doesn't at least do one "recurve" model in SE >> My first pick would be the ULIZE but the SPYKER would be great in SE Too