Anyone else dislike the wire pocket clip?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JuPaul

Re: Anyone else dislike the wire pocket clip?

Post by JuPaul »

Burton Knut wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:29 pm
I like the idea of a wire clip (no edges to scratch things, minimal material hanging out of pocket visually and light weight,) but the flex under pressure and now failure on my SPY27 Para 3 LW is enough for me to make replacing them my SOP moving forward.
Come on Casey, restock those Ti replacements! (Preferably blue, black or sandwashed if you’re seeing this ;) )
I have mixed feelings about the wire clip in general, but I decided to replaced it with the lynch clip on my m390 para3 lw, and I loved it - more comfortable, and no wobbly clip issues. The last time Lynch restocked I bought two more for the rex45 and spy27 models.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Burton Knut

Post by Burton Knut »

JuPaul wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:35 pm
Burton Knut wrote:
I like the idea of a wire clip (no edges to scratch things, minimal material hanging out of pocket visually and light weight,) but the flex under pressure and now failure on my SPY27 Para 3 LW is enough for me to make replacing them my SOP moving forward.
Come on Casey, restock those Ti replacements! (Preferably blue, black or sandwashed if you’re seeing this ;) )
I have mixed feelings about the wire clip in general, but I decided to replaced it with the lynch clip on my m390 para3 lw, and I loved it - more comfortable, and no wobbly clip issues. The last time Lynch restocked I bought two more for the rex45 and spy27 models.
I picked up one from the last batch and put it on my S90V Manix LW and I really like it too. Wouldn’t have said I like it more than the wire clip until today, but now, it’s officially my preference.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I have mixed feelings about the wire clip.

As a general rule I remove clips from any knives I'm going to carry and, in that regard, find the "channels" left when a wire clip is removed even less attractive than the screw holes left when a conventional 3 screw clip is removed. With screw holes, at least on knives with black scales, I feel I have the option of filling them with black nylon screws cut off flush with the scale. With wire clips, there is no elegant solution possible, short of custom scales. However, on the rare occasions I want to clip a knife to my pocket, I find the wire clip makes the knife less obvious than flat steel clips both because two wires are less visible that a quarter inch wide band of steel and because it leaves less of the knife protruding from my pocket.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Burton Knut wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:39 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Burton Knut wrote:
I picked up one from the last batch and put it on my S90V Manix LW and I really like it too. Wouldn’t have said I like it more than the wire clip until today, but now, it’s officially my preference.
I actually originally bought that clip for my manix lw, but I didn't like the shorter length on the manix since I use the clip to brace my fingers when unlocking the cbbl. If Lynch made a full length wire replacement clip as well, it would be perfect for me on the manix.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

The wire clip on my Manix LW has been carried for hundreds of working days. It has not loosened at all; it’s just right. I agree with those who say the spoon clip holds better on heavier knives. In short, I really like my one wire clip, and would love to see a heavier gauge version for heavier knives. If I could fit an appropriate wire clip to my Caribbean, I would.
donutsrule

Post by donutsrule »

araneae wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 5:38 am
I strongly prefer a wire clip, never had an issue.
Same :) :spyder:
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

Imo its not so much the type of clip but as bbturbodad has illustrated where the bend ends up on the handle, I can see where the clip on the lil native would be uncomfortable. Probably the biggest revelation for me with deep carry clips, wire or aftermarket, is that they feel much better in hand.
PineyBoy

Post by PineyBoy »

For a Spyderco, I'll take a wire clip most every time. However, I have some custom clips on other knives that I like even better. I prefer that I'm the only one who knows I have a knife and it blends in with my pants.
Burton Knut

Post by Burton Knut »

JuPaul wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:18 pm
Burton Knut wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:39 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Burton Knut wrote:
I actually originally bought that clip for my manix lw, but I didn't like the shorter length on the manix since I use the clip to brace my fingers when unlocking the cbbl. If Lynch made a full length wire replacement clip as well, it would be perfect for me on the manix.
I know what you mean. I had to tweak my hold and get used to only having my pinky and ring finger braced against the clip. But I use the short Lynch clip on my G10 Manix family so it’s about the same on both models.
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Usually I rave about the wire clip but the clip on the lil native does not go on my pants very well at all
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
SG89

Post by SG89 »

koenigsegg wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:23 am
Usually I rave about the wire clip but the clip on the lil native does not go on my pants very well at all
Did you try loosening the clip screw a bit?
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
FlyBum72

Post by FlyBum72 »

I'm not a big fan of wire clips simply because I don't like the ergonomics of them and not a fan of deep carry. But the main reason I do not wire clips is because they are not as strong as other clips and they lack strong retention. I also think wire clips look cheap, Wire clips looks like something you find on gas station knives. The SpydieChef is a prime example of this. They take an outstanding knife made of quality highend materials and ruin it by putting a cheap 25 cent wire clip on it. That knife would have been a complete hit out of the park had they put a milled titanium clip on the knife. There's a reason why there is a complete market within the Spyderco community for aftermarket clips for those knives. You rarely see on any of the EDC forums people posting pictures of bone stock Spydercos.