ZDP-189 vs. K390 on the E4 platform

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TheGiant80

ZDP-189 vs. K390 on the E4 platform

Post by TheGiant80 »

I was having a look at the website I buy gear from this morning and I noticed something interesting. When the K390 Endura 4 becomes available, it’ll cost the exact same as the currently-available ZDP-189 version.

I don’t really have any experience with so called super steels, but for those of you who do...which of these two options would be more conducive to your preferences and why?

(I’m aware the K390 E4 isn’t out yet, but I’m asking more about the steels in general)
Skidoosh

Re: ZDP-189 vs. K390 on the E4 platform

Post by Skidoosh »

Both are excellent steels with just about the same edge holding capacity. I would take K390 out of personal preference as I think it is slightly easier to sharpen but it will patina. I have not experienced patina on ZDP-189. I can't recall if the ZDP-189 is laminated or not on the E4.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Both are great. K390 is going to be tougher, with a less corrosion resistance. They'll hold their edge about the same amount of time, but K390 maybe a bit longer. I think K390 is a bit easier to sharpen, as Skidoosh mentioned, but I also never had trouble sharpening ZDP on the sharpmaker; just takes a bit more time.

The ZDP-189 is not laminated on the Endura 4, but I never had any trouble with patina on ZDP.

Honestly, if you like the color of one over the other, I'd use that as the tie-breaker. Both are excellent.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
JustinB

Post by JustinB »

Both are excellent. ZDP will not patina (unless you REALLY try, but even then it will stain more than patina) whereas K390 will patina. K390 will also hold and edge a little longer. IMO ZDP performs best with a highly refined and polished edge, and I believe K390 performs great either coarse or polished.

I couldn't choose between them honestly. I love how ZDP performs as an "everyday use" steel, however I know K390 will take up a LOT of pocket time when it is released
Justin :spyder: