Shaman Set Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
FeistyKat

Shaman Set Up

Postby FeistyKat » Sat May 23, 2020 2:55 am

Hi, all-

My Shaman S30V arrived yesterday.

What a great knife, the size & weight is PERFECT. Beautiful. I'm trying to fall in love with the stone washed blade, but it hasn't happened yet.

Are there standard procedures to follow for a new knife?

The action on my Shaman is very stiff: when I release the compression lock, the blade doesn't budge.

I've been flicking it open/closed but it doesn't seem to be loosening up. I'm used to Spyderco blades dropping on my finger and that ain't happening.

Do I need to loosen the pivot screw?

Larry_Mott

Re: Shaman Set Up

Postby Larry_Mott » Sat May 23, 2020 3:14 am

You could back the pivot screw out a fraction of a turn at the time and see what happens. Don't induce blade play though. I have long since come to the conclusion that most stuff except pre-worn jeans and shabby-chic furniture aren't instant gratification, but takes some running in before reaching peak performance.
Then there are people who disassemble out of the box knives and claim to 'tune' them. In practice, all they do is artificially wear them in (IMHO)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott R.I.P.

Marulaghost

Postby Marulaghost » Sat May 23, 2020 6:21 am

I'd honestly recommend a bit of lube on both sides of the pivot. if you have a thin enough lubricant then application should be easy

JuPaul

Postby JuPaul » Sat May 23, 2020 6:39 am

I would tweak the pivot a tiny bit. Like a quarter of a turn on one side, then the other, and repeat, checking for any play in the blade after each turn. Hopefully you find that sweet spot with the action you want without causing any wobble in the blade.

Edit: I agree with Larry that sometimes a knife just needs breaking in, but in every Shaman I have bought, out of the box, when the lock was disengaged, the blade would drop all or most of the way shut. So if yours won't budge, I feel like the pivot is a bit too tight.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.

Evil D

Postby Evil D » Sat May 23, 2020 7:46 am

My Cruwear Shaman was the exact opposite...it might be the best out of the box pivot action I've experienced next to the latest CQI Military. If the blade won't drop shut, the pivot has to be tightened too much, the blade on these knives has so much mass it should drop shut with no problem. I would try a couple small drops of lube first and then resort to adjusting the pivot if necessary. Just be mindful of how much you adjust or you'll create blade play, very small adjustments made a difference. Alternatively you can also just use the knife, over time they tend to loosen up and it might fall right into where you want it.
SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
~David

kennethsime

Postby kennethsime » Sat May 23, 2020 9:21 am

For context, my Para 3 LW wouldn't drop shut when I got it. It would flick out, but not drop shut. I added some lube, but didn't bother adjusting the pivot. It's been a month or two now, and it's pretty much broken in. It'll drop shut 9 times out of 10, and feels "like a Para 3."

I did adjust the pivot on my Native 5 LW, because it wouldn't flick out or drop shut. Very different action on this knife, and I'm still not 100% happy with it, but I can reliably open and close one-handed at least.

If I am adjusting the pivot, I like to loosen it up, get some lube on each side of the pivot, apply purple loctite to each pivot screw, then tighten fully. By fully, I mean twist gently until the screw stops turning on it's own. This is usually a little tighter than drop-shut, but it'll break in nicely and be very secure.
Lost to the Ages: C90GRE Stretch 1 ZDP-189 British Racing Green | C28GRE2 Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189 British Racing Green
C12BK2W Matriarch 2 VG-10 Emerson Open | C81G2 Para Military 2 S30V

Currently Rotating: C81GPRGR2 Para Military 2 K390 Ranger Green | C223GPRGR Para 3 K390 Ranger Green
C90FPIV2 Stretch 2 Straight Spine, VG-10 Rit Dye'd Dark Apple Green | C223GP Para 3 S30V Green Canvas Micarta
C41BORE5 Native 5 Lightweight REX 45 Burnt Orange | C223BORE Para 3 Lightweight REX 45 Burnt Orange
C101GY2 Manix 2 Lightweight Maxamet Gray | C28GFG Dragonfly VG-10 Foliage Green
MT27 Mule Team 27 Micro-Melt PD#1 Ranger Green | C36GPGR Military 204p Dark Green

sal

Postby sal » Sat May 23, 2020 9:45 am

Hi Kat,

I would suggest just using it for a while before making any adjustments.

sal

curlyhairedboy

Postby curlyhairedboy » Sat May 23, 2020 10:17 am

Seconding the suggestion to use it for a bit. Fresh Shamans can take a little time to break in, but once they do, they're incredible.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Shaman, CF S90v Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, DLC Lil Native, Sage 5 LW, 4V Shaman, Watu, Rex 45 Shaman, Rex 45 Lil Native, Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, Tanto PM2, Serrated Shaman
Always in Pocket: Hawkbill Dragonfly 2 H1
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Junction, Waterway
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Smallfly G10, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Calendar Watu
Would like to own again: Currently N/A!
Wishlist: Smallfly 2, CQI SpyderEdge Caribbean Sheepsfoot, Shaman Sprints!

TomAiello

Postby TomAiello » Sat May 23, 2020 12:20 pm

If you want it to feel as smooth as possible during the "break in period" you can put some good light oil on the pivot. Personally, I just oil and use, and basically never adjust the pivot at all.

blues

Postby blues » Sat May 23, 2020 3:38 pm

TomAiello wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 12:20 pm
If you want it to feel as smooth as possible during the "break in period" you can put some good light oil on the pivot. Personally, I just oil and use, and basically never adjust the pivot at all.
Ditto. I have several that fall closed. Others that don't.

I lube the pivot as a matter of course upon receipt and move on. I really am not concerned as they all open and close smoothly either way.

To each his or her own. Give me a well constructed knife with a well ground blade of excellent steel and I'm satisfied.
- No FOMO -

BLJace

Postby BLJace » Sun May 24, 2020 3:03 am

Have to agree with "using it some before adjusting". Give it a couple weeks. That sounds like a long time, but it's really not. A lot of my knives have been perfect right out of the box. Others have taken a couple weeks to break in. Some I HAVE had to make adjustments to. It's best to wait to make sure you have to make those adjustments though.

I've found though, that if you make adjustments prematurely. You're going to be making them constantly unless you want to apply some locktite. Then any further adjustments are going to be "work". IMO it's best to wear in a knife, make the adjustments to make it "perfect" then locktite it all down.
:spyder: I used to collect a lot of knives... I still do, but i used to too. :spyder:

Mr Blonde

Postby Mr Blonde » Sun May 24, 2020 12:13 pm

I echo the previous comments to work with the knife as is for a while. I feel an improvement in the action in most if not all my spydies after a few weeks of use.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 10-31-2020 - Twitter - Instagram

Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”