What is Mini Bugout Equivalent for Spyderco?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Albatross

Re: What is Mini Bugout Equivalent for Spyderco?

Post by Albatross »

I happen to like back locks, but if I started with Benchmades, and wanted a Spyderco, I'd be pretty disappointed with a back lock. A lot of people buy knives for their locks, and don't want to make that sacrifice. Some people don't want to be sold on something they don't want.

The Para 3 LW isn't going to feel or look the same, but none of the options will. With humps and choils, no one will mistake those knives for Mini Bugouts. The Para 3 is still lightweight, has a 3" blade, and is U.S. made.

There's a reason why people on other parts of the internet, are seeking advice, to help them decide if they should get a Para 3 LW or Bugout/Mini Bugout.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Albatross wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 12:32 am
I happen to like back locks, but if I started with Benchmades, and wanted a Spyderco, I'd be pretty disappointed with a back lock. A lot of people buy knives for their locks, and don't want to make that sacrifice. Some people don't want to be sold on something they don't want.

The Para 3 LW isn't going to feel or look the same, but none of the options will. With humps and choils, no one will mistake those knives for Mini Bugouts. The Para 3 is still lightweight, has a 3" blade, and is U.S. made.

There's a reason why people on other parts of the internet, are seeking advice, to help them decide if they should get a Para 3 LW or Bugout/Mini Bugout.

True, and something I tend to forget: While both Delica and Chap are certainly closer to the Mini bugout in dimensions (the Chap not in cutting edge), weight and thin bladestock, their backlocks don´t offer the very easy and probably for many fun lock operation right from the start (without much experience and "training") like both comp. lock and axxis lock do!

While I personally can meanwhile operate a backlock even faster, easier and in more ways than comp.lock or axxis lock, that is only true cause I happen to use and play around with my backlock knives all the time. If one handles a folder just occasionally, comp. lock and axxis lock are certainly easier and more fun to operate (and with many other things in life (that are not knives... :D ) I´d want a tool or item to be used easy and effortless without practice or a lot of use too)

But if one emphasizes ease of lock operation for everone to find a somewhat Bugout-equivalent in Spydercos lineup: I´d throw the Sage 5 LW in the mix too:
Sure, it is even "heavier" than the Para 3 LW (2.7 vs 2.5 oz) and has liners (different to both mini bo and Para 3).
On the other hand, more similar to the Mini BO: The Sage 5 offers a bit thinner blade stock than the Para 3 and a handle that is designed to make use of all the available space behind the choil (so more people will probably be able to hold the knife like a Mini BO just on the actual handle. Not saying that this is better or worse than to choke up, just more similar to the Mini BO)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

If you want the Sage that's closest to the Bugout, I'd look at the Sage 3, for the bolt action lock. It's the closest lock to the Axis lock in Spyderco's line up (even closer than the CBBL).
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TomAiello wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 11:37 am
If you want the Sage that's closest to the Bugout, I'd look at the Sage 3, for the bolt action lock. It's the closest lock to the Axis lock in Spyderco's line up (even closer than the CBBL).

That's true! Did not think of that...

Still, for me the closest competitor to the MINIbugout is the Chap FRN (other than the lock).
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

TomAiello wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 11:37 am
Sadly the Sage 3 has been discontinued twice, and both variants are climbing in price on the secondary market.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Wow. I hadn't kept up with that. I have a full set of Sages, including both variants of the 3. I guess I'll hang onto them. :)

I'm with Wartstein though. I think the closest thing to achieving the Mini Bugout design philosophy with Spyderco ergonomics is the Chaparral FRN. I'd gladly trade my CruCarta Shaman for a CBBL Chaparral.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

I have the Bugout (not the mini) & the closest comparable Spyderco is my Chaparral in FRN.

I like the Axis-lock & larger handle, and love the pocketclip of the Bugout. S30V steel is not my favorite, but it's acceptable. I find the blade heavy balance kind of feels off in my hand - enough so I am looking at aftermarket G10 grips. I'm usually just not the kind of person that tinkers & mods their knives. Also trying to find some G10 scales I like that are not as much as the Bugout is proving hard.

On my Chaparral FRN I love the steel & thin blade, and like the pocketclip & FRN texture. About the only fault I have with it is how stiff the backlock is to close. Knew about it beforehand & it was not enough of an issue to stop me from buying it. Not a fidgeter so flickable/drop-shut locks are neat, but low on my priority list.

So my Chaparral FRN has been seeing more pocket-time than my Bugout. I still like my Bugout, I just keep hoping Benchmade does a sprint run in a steel I like better with G10 scales :)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Halfneck wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 8:59 pm
I have the Bugout (not the mini) & the closest comparable Spyderco is my Chaparral in FRN.

I like the Axis-lock & larger handle, and love the pocketclip of the Bugout. S30V steel is not my favorite, but it's acceptable. I find the blade heavy balance kind of feels off in my hand - enough so I am looking at aftermarket G10 grips. I'm usually just not the kind of person that tinkers & mods their knives. Also trying to find some G10 scales I like that are not as much as the Bugout is proving hard.

On my Chaparral FRN I love the steel & thin blade, and like the pocketclip & FRN texture. About the only fault I have with it is how stiff the backlock is to close. Knew about it beforehand & it was not enough of an issue to stop me from buying it. Not a fidgeter so flickable/drop-shut locks are neat, but low on my priority list.

So my Chaparral FRN has been seeing more pocket-time than my Bugout. I still like my Bugout, I just keep hoping Benchmade does a sprint run in a steel I like better with G10 scales :)

Hi Halfneck,

you can always do the mod on the Chap where you relocate the backspring a bit (about 3mm). People who found the Chap backlock too stiff and did this little tweak said it helped a lot (see here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=80687#p1253309)

Haven´t done that myself though, cause I like the way the strong Chap lock feels and the knife did break in nicely anyway.

/ Concerning "flickable/drop shut": I figure that is harder on the Chap due to the very light blade. The Chap is my only Spyderco which I can easily flick open with the thumb, but NOT the other fingers. But I guess you probably could easily tune the action in a way that the blade drops nicely on your forefinger if you like it that way
Zachreed1

Post by Zachreed1 »

PSquared wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 12:20 am
I’m going to throw the Centofante III into the ring.

Similar blade length, thin blade stock, maximized cutting edge. Enough difference to keep it interesting - hollow vs flat grind, studs vs hole, back lock vs axis.

The Centofante III is a fantastic knife, often overlooked.

Edit : oops, missed the “mini” bit in Bugout ... but I’ll leave this all here
I’m curious how easily the centofante 3 is operated 1 handed. I own many seki city models and love them all. The centofante 3 doesn’t appear to have as long a ricasso as the delica, for example.
Delica/endura FFG vg10, p3lw Bd1n, pm2 s30v, dragonfly salt
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Zachreed1 wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 7:51 am
PSquared wrote:
I
I’m curious how easily the centofante 3 is operated 1 handed. I own many seki city models and love them all. The centofante 3 doesn’t appear to have as long a ricasso as the delica, for example.
The Centofante has almost no Ricasso, but you can still let the blade drop on your finger and will not be hit by the edge.

That being said: There are several other, equally convinient (for me even more) methods to close a backlock one handed WITHOUT letting the Ricasso drop on your forefinger (one even with all fingers out of the blade path all the time)

Since you´re rather new here, I´ll link three little clips I made once for the purpose of illustration (others: Just ignore... :rolleyes: )
Each method shown one time deliberately slow, two times regular speed (there are more methods actually)

https://streamable.com/j7fjd

https://streamable.com/bhhzs

https://streamable.com/myzlt
Zachreed1

Post by Zachreed1 »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 8:02 am
Zachreed1 wrote:
PSquared wrote:
I
The Centofante has almost no Ricasso, but you can still let the blade drop on your finger and will not be hit by the edge.

That being said: There are several other, equally convinient (for me even more) methods to close a backlock one handed WITHOUT letting the Ricasso drop on your forefinger (one even with all fingers out of the blade path all the time)

Since you´re rather new here, I´ll link three little clips I made once for the purpose of illustration (others: Just ignore... :rolleyes: )
Each method shown one time deliberately slow, two times regular speed (there are more methods actually)

https://streamable.com/j7fjd

https://streamable.com/bhhzs

https://streamable.com/myzlt
Precisely the info I was looking for, thanks again.
Delica/endura FFG vg10, p3lw Bd1n, pm2 s30v, dragonfly salt
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The Bugout has zero interest for me. Years ago I had such knife and in an emergency situation, all it did was flex. It was useless. The Chaparral is a better knife. The Native 5 LW is shorter than the Delica and is a better knife and won't flex. The Delica is a better knife and won't flex. When the chips are down, the knife we have must be able to be counted on.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

Zachreed1 wrote:
PSquared wrote:
I’m going to throw the Centofante III into the ring.

Similar blade length, thin blade stock, maximized cutting edge. Enough difference to keep it interesting - hollow vs flat grind, studs vs hole, back lock vs axis.

The Centofante III is a fantastic knife, often overlooked.

Edit : oops, missed the “mini” bit in Bugout ... but I’ll leave this all here
Bear in mind the Centofante 3 is pinned so the pivot isn't adjustable and I suspect they are assembled to be fairly tight. Neither of my 3s or my 4 drop shut. The have very smooth actions but the blade doesn't drop freely. I can shake them closed but closing against a leg or with two hands is easier.