What is Mini Bugout Equivalent for Spyderco?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
marshmallow

What is Mini Bugout Equivalent for Spyderco?

Post by marshmallow »

Sorry for posting so much lately, I just can't get enough of my new hobby and although I have gotten many nicks and a big thumb gash (due to SE finger test) testing out the actions, it really excites me talking about folders. I see it as an extension of yourself since it is always on your person. Every outdoor activity and every outfit really allows you to tailor your edc's to your liking. It's a fascinating hobby imo, I love it.

Question: there's a huge craze on mini bugouts lately since everyone loves the bugout and wanted a smaller more everyday edc carry. What is the equivalent for mini bugout to Spyderco? I'm guessing it has to be FRN since it needs to be light and small. I was guessing dragonfly or lil native or maybe even a native frn. Thoughts?
"stay puft."
Notsurewhy

Re: What is Mini Bugout Equivalent for Spyderco?

Post by Notsurewhy »

Frn chaparral is probably the closest in my opinion.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 11:13 am
Frn chaparral is probably the closest in my opinion.
This.

Just much better imho.. ;)

Closed a bit shorter and certainly slimmer, exact same blade length (though less cutting edge)

Clearly "heavier" though relatively seen, but still very light (2.1 Chap FRN, vs 1.5 Mini bugout) AND: The Chap has steel liners and steel backspacer and feels really solid in hand.

Thinner, but strong enough blade, Spydercos amazing ergos, great finger choil, one of the best backlocks ever (internal stop pin), XHP steel...

For me one of the best "bang for the buck" knives Spyderco makes
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

I agree, the chap is better overall. Cuts better and better ergos win for me over the slight weight and fidget advantage of the MBO.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

I think the closest competitor, in many regards, is the Para 3 LW. Both are very light, both have fidgety feeling locks, and both are U.S. made. The bugout comes with S30V vs the BD1N on the Para 3 LW, but the Para has already had a sprint run in Rex 45 and a dealer exclusive M390. SPY27 will be coming soon, I believe S45VN as well(unconfirmed), and there will be more sprints/dealer exclusives.
Tgmr05

Post by Tgmr05 »

Frn chaparral is probably closest.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

The only advantage of the mini bugout over the chaparral is the axis lock (if you like that style of lock, which I do).

The Chaparral has much better ergonomics, though (plus, it's cheaper). The bugout ergonomics can best be described as "blade on a plastic stick," where the chaparral actually has nice contours that really fit my hand very well. The Chap has a real place in my rotation, but the bugout came and went very quickly.

I still wish Spyderco would make a Chap sized knife with a CBBL, though. :)

I like the Para 3 _a lot_ better than the Para 2, and both of them a lot better than the bugout/mini bugout but I do think the closest Spyderco equivalent to the mini bugout is the FRN Chaparral.
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Para 3 lw is roughly the same size but I wouldn't really put them in the same category. 2.3mm blade stock vs 3.7mm is a huge difference for me.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 12:51 pm
Para 3 lw is roughly the same size but I wouldn't really put them in the same category. 2.3mm blade stock vs 3.7mm is a huge difference for me.
It is... (though I´d still take the Para 3 LW over the Mini Bugout, but also Native 5 LW, Sage 5 LW or Chap (or Watu..) over the Para 3)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Thunderpants

Post by Thunderpants »

The Native is another super-lightweight FRN folder that is a lot less, uh, visually challenging than the Para 3. It has a backlock but this is easy to manipulate one handed.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

The responses here really show how much variety Spyderco offers. Chap LW, Sage 5 LW, Para 3 LW in BD1N with SPY-27 on the way; Native 5 LW in S30V with choice of black or pink handle, S110V, LC200N, Maxamet, and also SPY-27 soon, all with unique handle colors as standard production.
Notsurewhy wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 12:51 pm
Yes, but the Para 3 has a tall blade with full height flat grind and a distal taper. I wonder how the behind the edge thickness compares on the two.
SubMicron

Post by SubMicron »

The whole point to the Bugout is to be as lightweight as possible. That seems to have been a top design priority. The mini Bugout obviously is no different, just smaller.

The first Spyderco that comes to mind would be the Dragonfly. It comes with a popular deep carry wire clip that works fine, however it's so light I removed the clip and carry deep-pocket in thin dress pants at work.

Do not underestimate a Spyderco backlock... its a safer one handed opening and closing than an Axis lock. For some people it's common for the butt of the handle to slip in the heel of your hand while operating the Axis lock. It's happened to me.

With a Spyderco backlock, because of the choil and tall ricasso, you literally can drop the blade on your index finger, safely, using your finger as the half stop, then rotate and close the blade.

A Bugout would generally be considered to be more fidget friendly but a Spyderco backlock is more satisfying to play with.

It you want an upper level steel, the Dragonfly is available in ZDP-189 and soon in K390

Get a Delica if you want it to be a little bigger... even bigger the Para 3.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

SubMicron wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 8:05 pm
The whole point to the Bugout is to be as lightweight as possible. That seems to have been a top design priority. The mini Bugout obviously is no different, just smaller.

The first Spyderco that comes to mind would be the Dragonfly. It comes with a popular deep carry wire clip that works fine, however it's so light I removed the clip and carry deep-pocket in thin dress pants at work.

Do not underestimate a Spyderco backlock... its a safer one handed opening and closing than an Axis lock. For some people it's common for the butt of the handle to slip in the heel of your hand while operating the Axis lock. It's happened to me.

With a Spyderco backlock, because of the choil and tall ricasso, you literally can drop the blade on your index finger, safely, using your finger as the half stop, then rotate and close the blade.

A Bugout would generally be considered to be more fidget friendly but a Spyderco backlock is more satisfying to play with.

It you want an upper level steel, the Dragonfly is available in ZDP-189 and soon in K390

Glad you mentioned that! I praised the backlock a bit too often already for some here I guess, but I only do this cause new members constantly join this forum who might still believe all the misconceptions about this lock type.

A backlock certainly is harder to operate one handed for people completely new to it and takes a bit of a longer learning curve than other lock types.
But when one is familiar with it, a backlock imho is the most versatile (when it comes to one handed closing methods) and safest lock type (safe both when it comes to accidently opening and for the fingers (yes, you can close a backlock easily with all fingers out of the blade path all the time))

I have experience with both the axxis lock and the backlock, and the latter for me is way better (and more durable)
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

I’m going to throw the Centofante III into the ring.

Similar blade length, thin blade stock, maximized cutting edge. Enough difference to keep it interesting - hollow vs flat grind, studs vs hole, back lock vs axis.

The Centofante III is a fantastic knife, often overlooked.

Edit : oops, missed the “mini” bit in Bugout ... but I’ll leave this all here
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

SubMicron wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 8:05 pm

That's a pretty broad statement. I enjoy fidget friendly locks like the Axis lock, Comp lock, and even frame lock flippers at times; but a Native 5 Salt has become the knife I carry most. I agree that mid back locks, particularly Spydercos with choils or long ricassos, can be easy and safe to close. However, partially closing, rotating the knife in hand, and then completing the closing action requires some dexterity. Conversely, locks like the Axis, (C)BBL, and Comp allow the user to close the knife without putting their fingers in the path of the blade. That can require some grip strength to pinch the handle. So, I don't think there's a single safest lock to close one handed, but rather locks that are safer for some users depending on grip strength, dexterity, and also technique and experience.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Delica for sure.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Kind of hard for me to compare any of the Spydies mentioned to the Mini Bugout. So I figure a couple pics might help. Some have said the Para 3 is the closest. I don't see it. I'm guessing those who suggested that have never held a Mini Bugout.

Chaparral is pretty close in length but it's definitely taller and not as sleek when closed. Ergos should be better on the Chap but not in my hand with the clips installed. The bigger clip on the Chap makes it feel a little less comfortable to me. That short clip on the MB really helps with how it feels. Remove the clips and it might be a different story.

I got a kick out of the blade on a plastic stick remark. I can't argue with that, it's true, but sometimes less is more. I have few knives with subdued ergonomic features (straight handles). BM Mini Bugout, Valet, Sequel, Ferum Forge Gents, FF Exec, and some Ray Laconico designs (Yorkie, Keen) and they all feel really good in my hand. I'm really tempted to get a Watu because I'm kind of liking no frills handles these days.

For me the Dragonfly or Delica are about as close as it gets IMO. Still it's not very easy for me to compare them. Length is about the only part that's close. One is a little longer than the MB and one is shorter. These are all very different knives for me. So trying compare a Spyderco model to the MB is kind of tough.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 10:51 pm

Kind of hard for me to compare any of the Spydies mentioned to the Mini Bugout. So I figure a couple pics might help. Some have said the Para 3 is the closest. I don't see it. I'm guessing those who suggested that have never held a Mini Bugout.

Chaparral is pretty close in length but it's definitely taller and not as sleek when closed. Ergos should be better on the Chap but not in my hand with the clips installed. The bigger clip on the Chap makes it feel a little less comfortable to me. That short clip on the MB really helps with how it feels. Remove the clips and it might be a different story.

I got a kick out of the blade on a plastic stick remark. I can't argue with that, it's true, but sometimes less is more. I have few knives with subdued ergonomic features (straight handles). BM Mini Bugout, Valet, Sequel, Ferum Forge Gents, FF Exec, and some Ray Laconico designs (Yorkie, Keen) and they all feel really good in my hand. I'm really tempted to get a Watu because I'm kind of liking no frills handles these days.

For me the Dragonfly or Delica are about as close as it gets IMO. Still it's not very easy for me to compare them. Length is about the only part that's close. One is a little longer than the MB and one is shorter. These are all very different knives for me. So trying compare a Spyderco model to the MB is kind of tough.

Thanks for the pics, interesting to see! :)

As for the Chap: For me still closest to the Mini bugout dimensionwise (just a tad shorter closed, same blade length) - sure wider, but most likely thinner.

Para 3 LW: I am with you, not a mini bugout at all. Rather huge package for the edge length, much thicker blade and actually not a "lightweight" for a linerless lightweight - heavier than the linered Delica, which is closer to the Mini bugout in every aspect - dimensions, weight, blade stock.... (not ranking the three knives here, just comparing)

DFly: Cool knife, but imho much more "niche" than Mini bugout, Delica, Para 3, Chap... due to the very short cutting edge of the DFly, which limits its general usability
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 11:01 pm
...As for the Chap: For me still closest to the Mini bugout dimensionwise (just a tad shorter closed, same blade length) - sure wider, but most likely thinner.
Yes, the handle of the Chap is a little thinner but the Mini Bungout actually feels thinner when using it due to the difference in the clips. The blade stock on the Chap is a little thinner (which I like) but the MB has a longer cutting edge length. The MB is more narrow in the pocket and also feels much lighter than the Chap LW. I'm sure the difference in weight is because the MB doesn't really have any liners and doesn't have a back spacer.

For the record, I'm not saying the Mini Bugout is better in any way to all these Spyderco models. I only bought the MB because I like some of the smaller models from Benchmade and I was curious. I've only really carried it a few time since I bought it. It's nice for what it is but I still carry various Spyderco models much more than I do other brands.
Wartstein wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 11:01 pm
DFly: Cool knife, but imho much more "niche" than Mini bugout, Delica, Para 3, Chap... due to the very short cutting edge of the DFly, which limits its general usability
Cutting edge on the DF is what? .4" shorter than the cutting edge on the Chap. Sorry sir but I don't see that little extra cutting edge on the Chap as being much more usable for me. They'll both do what I need small a pocket knife to do. They'll never be kitchen knives and I don't expect them to be
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

The Dfly cuts so far above it's size class it's crazy. It truly defines "little big knife." It's really impressive how much cutting ability is packed into that tiny package.