BladeHQ M4 Manix XLs

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TomAiello

Re: BladeHQ M4 Manix XLs

Post by TomAiello »

RustyIron wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 6:46 pm
When I have a knife in my front pocket, it's the only thing that goes there. If I have a gun in my front pocket, it's the only thing that goes there, and then the knife is moved to the back pocket. The other front pocket is dedicated to keys and Chapstick.
You've just perfectly described my pockets.

Well, except that I often wear cargo pants, so the knife goes down to the cargo pocket.
tbdoc4kids

Post by tbdoc4kids »

Recent BHQ exclusives have had a 2 per person limit. I would expect with this double drop that would be 2 per person of each version.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I usually have a knife-only dedicated pocket too, so the size doesn't cause me any pocket problems.

I used to wonder about the choice of placement for the XL clip, mainly because it leaves so much of the handle sticking out of the pocket, then one day I realized that the clip fits perfectly in the same little hollow in my palm where the M2 clip fits, and I hardly ever notice them. So it's finally dawned on me that hand comfort is apparently something they take into consideration when they're deciding on clip placement. I've rejected a couple of deep carry clips because they weren't as comfortable as the standard one. And the comfortable grip is one of the main things that appeal to me about the different types of Manix.

I'm planning to get the satin blade only, so that'll leave one DLC for somebody else. I've already got the DLC S30V XL plus 3 kinds of DLC regular size, so I'm getting saturated with DLC. Only 800 of S90V CF variants were made and Knifeworks had a limit of one per person. I remember because a foreign friend wanted me to get him one and I got my wife to buy it for him (she's a separate person ;)). I know KW and BHQ are two different stores, but the demand on the two knives could be similar and BHQ might take into account how well the S90V sold, at $219.95... their lower price will have an effect on the speed of sale for sure.

If I'm lucky enough to score one of these, it'll be my 5th knife in the M4 jade series, after the 2 M2's, a PM 2, and my precious Dodo ;) So far I tend to like the jade pretty much for 6 months or a year then put on different scales. It's possible that I might swap the scales between it and my CF S90V model, then sell the S90V to someone who really loves jade scales and hates non-stainless, but so far I've never sold but one knife, which was a dupe, so it may not be too likely.

Well, since it looks like I'm writing a whole treatise about this :confused: I might as well mention that I do think this might be an appropriate time for Vivi to come back from his forum vacation. We could promise not to ask any questions about why he left. I miss his comments because he's interested in a lot of the same things I am.

Edit: grammar
Last edited by DougC-3 on Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
hambone56rx

Post by hambone56rx »

I’m not really looking for this model, as I’m hoping for a Shaman in Micarta and Z Wear, but I just noticed that the price is only an additional $0.95 more than the base model!!! That’s a great deal! I hope everyone who wants one will get it!

Hamilton
bouhunter

Post by bouhunter »

marshmallow wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 12:41 pm
I haven't played with a Manix before.
You should :)
Bamalt1

Post by Bamalt1 »

I didn't even want a Manix until I saw this one. Even my 9 year old daughter likes the scales.
S35VN PM2, Spydiechef, M4 Manix 2 XL, Rex 45 Shaman, Kapara, M4 PM2 Tanto, Ultatech BH, Techno 2, 20CV Yojimbo 2
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Bamalt1 wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:00 pm
I didn't even want a Manix until I saw this one. Even my 9 year old daughter likes the scales.
You might want to go ahead and try for one of these. Since the original C95 Manix came out in 2004, they've made a run with a new blade steel every 8 years on average :p They did make one with glow-in-the-dark scales 5 years back which your daughter would have probably also liked :D

P.S. Welcome to the forum!
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Bamalt1

Post by Bamalt1 »

Thanks for the welcome. I definitely plan on trying to get one. Thankfully the time difference puts the debut right in the middle of my work day (night). Hoping for the uncoated m4 as the Savannah air will hopefully develop a cool patina.
S35VN PM2, Spydiechef, M4 Manix 2 XL, Rex 45 Shaman, Kapara, M4 PM2 Tanto, Ultatech BH, Techno 2, 20CV Yojimbo 2
JMM

Post by JMM »

Good luck to everyone who wants to land one this morning -- these are gonna go super quick I think!

Cheers,

John
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

JMM wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:48 am
Good luck to everyone who wants to land one this morning -- these are gonna go super quick I think!
It's hard to predict. The Manix 2 XL has its fans but in general is not that popular with the overall public, I think because of its size. However there is a lot of interest right now for any exclusive in a popular steel so I think all of the scammers will be out with their usual tricks to buy as many as they can.

I know in the past the CF/S90V versions were very difficult to sell on the secondary market. At inflated scammer prices I think these will also be hard to sell so our little bit of consolation in case the scammers do buy all of them is that they will not be able to make any money on them and we'll have the last laugh.
Burton Knut

Post by Burton Knut »

I’m going to try for one uncoated. It’ll be my first XL and my first M4.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I wonder if Vivi even knows about these.. :confused:

I'm going to try for a DLC version
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Mattysc42

Post by Mattysc42 »

I’m getting the dlc (do or do not, there is no try). This will be my first dlc Spyderco knife, though I have some Seki TiNi blades.
BRING ON THE MANIX XL SPRINTS AND EXCLUSIVES! And 10v or K390ify the Golden lineup, please.

Top 5 folders I’ve owned: Serrated Caribbean Leaf, Shaman, Manix XL, ZDP-189/CF Caly 3.5, Native LW.
Top 5 steels I’ve owned: LC200N, K390, CPM S90V, M390, CPM REX45.
Top 3 steels I want more of: M390 class, A11 class (including K390), CPM REX45.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

That was a scary 3 minutes. Got a DLC!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
JMM

Post by JMM »

Got a DLC -- site was slower than the Shaman drop
Mattysc42

Post by Mattysc42 »

Got my order in but **** the website was lagging. This drop is more popular than expected, which is a very good thing in my book. The better this one sells, the better the chance for more sprints and exclusives later.
BRING ON THE MANIX XL SPRINTS AND EXCLUSIVES! And 10v or K390ify the Golden lineup, please.

Top 5 folders I’ve owned: Serrated Caribbean Leaf, Shaman, Manix XL, ZDP-189/CF Caly 3.5, Native LW.
Top 5 steels I’ve owned: LC200N, K390, CPM S90V, M390, CPM REX45.
Top 3 steels I want more of: M390 class, A11 class (including K390), CPM REX45.
FullFlatMind

Post by FullFlatMind »

Got a naked one. The site is getting hammered.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I got the uncoated one. Wow, their website is running slow. I actually got the confirmation email on my phone before the page on my computer finished loading.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
JMM

Post by JMM »

Hey, heads up, they have the Flytanium ball cages back in stock which have been impossible to find for quite some time...

It took 30+ seconds to add it to my cart, and it looped at the submit order page on me twice, overall their site seemed noticeably slower than the DLC Shaman drop a couple months ago.

I really hope everyone that wants/wanted one was able to land one, I think based on how slow their site was that we'll see a grip of these on eB@y later today and over the next few days...
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I really want to know how long this will take to sell out.