Best Handbag Folder for Wife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
zuludelta

Re: Best Handbag Folder for Wife?

Post by zuludelta »

Not sure if buying your wife a knife of her own after she put the kibosh on your knife collecting will make things better. Sounds like pouring gasoline on a fire to me, but you know your wife better than some random jackass on the internet, so I hope it works out for you.

On the topic of giving her a "handbag folder" for the express purpose of SD: I wouldn't really recommend it (And I say that as someone who has some training in FMA). That is, unless she is willing to put in the not-insignificant time and effort to train in its effective use. And you could say this about any dedicated defensive tool. A defensive tool—be it a knife, a handgun, a telescoping baton, a can of pepperspray/bearspray, etc.—is only as effective as its user. Without the training to go with it, it may just give the user a false and unearned sense of security, and may even encourage a person to take unnecessary risks they would otherwise not engage in had they been unarmed.

If you want to give her practical self-defense options, I would suggest asking her if she wants to take a self-defense course (that you will pay for, naturally :D ). A legitimate course that emphasizes concepts like environmental/situational awareness and risk avoidance/mitigation, which are the most important aspects of individual physical security and self-protection. And from there, she can decide what option to go for in terms of her preferred defensive tool (and the training to go with it), if she wants to carry one.