The best part of giving away a Spyderco...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Meat man

The best part of giving away a Spyderco...

Post by The Meat man »

...is seeing it get scratched up, dinged, and dulled. :cool:

I gave this Delica to my boss last Christmas. He's not a "knife guy" - before I gave it to him, he didn't carry a knife at all - but he seemed to really like it and since then, it has been in his pocket everyday.

I'm known at work as a knife nut. This evening before I left work my boss came to me and commented (not for the first time) how useful the knife has been and how he never realized how much he'd use a knife till he had one.

I took a look at the knife. Clip and blade were pretty scratched up, the edge was too dull to cut paper and had some dings in it. The handle could've used some compressed air too.

I told him I'd be happy to take it home and sharpen it up for him.

The best part of giving knives away is seeing them come back dull, scratched, and well-used.

- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: The best part of giving away a Spyderco...

Post by Doc Dan »

I agree. Sometimes I gift a knife and it never gets used. More often, however, people discover the joys of owning and using a knife. One coach I gave a knife to told me recently, "I can't believe how useful this thing is. I use it every day!"
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Good on you Connor!

I've gifted some myself. A few to my son and a Manix 2 LW to a friend. My son has become more interested in knives now and is a fan of Spyderco of the Spyderco brand. I also gave him a Sharpmaker and a Spyderco T-shirt for Christmas

I wasn't sure if the friend would actually carry the Manix 2 but he seems to really like it. I gave him a Sharpmaker too and I know he uses it. Need to check on him and see if he needs my to reprofile it for him yet
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Waco

Post by Waco »

My wife uses the 2 Dragonfly Salts I gave her. She has two because she misplaced one and found it after I bought the 2nd.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Waco wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 10:03 pm
My wife uses the 2 Dragonfly Salts I gave her. She has two because she misplaced one and found it after I bought the 2nd.
i need to try this...
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Good on you Connor!

I’ve gifted a few Ladybug SE HB’s now to family and friends but other than my son-in-law’s and a sailing mate’s I don’t know how much use the others see.

I gifted my daughter a Pink S30V PM and my son a S110V Military a few years back (?). I’m fairly sure my son has the Military in it’s box in his desk’s draw and may have opened a letter or two with it. Ah, hahaha!

My daughter surprised me. Not long after I’d given her the knife we were at the beach. She’d bought snacks along as mothers do for little ones and asked if they wanted some apple, which they did. She pulled an apple out of her bag, reached back in pulled out the PM which she rolled open with her thumb, halved the apple for the little ones, gave me a little smile, reached back into her bag, pulled out a kids hand and face wipe, wiped the blade, closed the knife, put it back into her bag and gave me a wink. I nodded approvingly, “Nice knife”. She chuckled, “Not bad”.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
brj

Post by brj »

Just gifted a Sage 1 to a friend a couple of days ago on his birthday and he seemed appropriately impressed with the overall feel and build quality, hope he'll find excuses to use it everyday
FeistyKat

Post by FeistyKat »

Waco wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 10:03 pm

Would it look suspicious if you had the replacement ready to give her as soon as her first knife was "misplaced"?
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I've given away many knives, a couple of them on here. Aside from personal friends, I've yet to see any of them in action, haha.

It won't prevent me from doing other giveaways, but it would be nice to see one that has seen some abuse. :p
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I agree Connor! It's a satisfying feeling when that happens. I've given away two, with different results.

I gave my brother in law my Manix LW a couple summers ago. He loved it while we were all camping, and that's when my Spyderco collection really started to take off and decided he could have it. His son ended up breaking off part of the tip while trying to pry something. Then before we had a chance to meet up again so I could try to fix it up a bit, he ended up losing it in the woods somewhere while 4 wheeling.

The other knife I gave to a friend here at work. He's got a few Kershaw's and really like the look and feel of the Centofante 3 that I had one day. When I told him it was a $70 knife he was a bit shocked and said his wife would kill him if he spent that on a knife (they were looking to buy a new house at the time) So I told him screw it, and handed it over to him. He loves it! He's given it back to me twice now for some sharpening. No major scratches on it, but I know he's definitely using it. Makes me proud seeing the scratched up pocket clip and dull edge when he gives it back to me :cool:
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

One nephew got an N5 G10, uses it loads in his travels and studies, the other got a Yo2 as he’s military and often in the gulf, but leaves it at home.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Yeah I've given a few away, my best friend is currently abusing a SE Salt 2 and it's always interesting to see how it has held up. Last time I sharpened it he had got bored and cut up some Coke cans. Giving them away is part generosity and part guinea pig experiment to see how a knife survives a non knife AFI's uses.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

I love seeing the knives I gift to people get used. I gave a couple of young hard-working coworkers two of my old (but well-maintained & hair-whittling sharp) Spydercos as end-of-semester gifts (both are attending university) & it's a nice feeling seeing them use the knives at work—and I like to think that they've gained a greater appreciation of how important it is to have a quality work knife.

I also gifted a Dragonfly 2 Salt SE to a friend who does a lot of paddle-boarding, and she tells me that she always makes sure she has it clipped to her PFD before heading to the water (and she isn't a "knife person" at all).
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

I haven't gifted a spydie, but I did gift my Kershaw cryo. Guy at work had a Gerber that was in bad shape. Really bad lock rock, blade was.... Bad. So I gave it to him and he seemed to really enjoy it. I sharpened it and everything, and he carried it every day after that. Said he was going to give it back to me but I got moved and hopefully he's still using it!

So yea, not a spydie but a decent knife.
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

I and a few coworkers are known carriers. Sometimes we'll do a pocket dump and check out each others blades. Our lead tech has walked into the lab and caught us in the act every once and a while and it appears he has an interest, but doesn't own or carry a knife. He really took an interest in a friend's Ronin 2.

He is short in stature, with small hands, so I'm considering picking up either an Urban or Delica for him. We figure it would be a good orientation into knives, and a way for him to be more tolerant of our shenanigans. ;)

Edited to add: I ended up getting the Lead Tech a Dragonfly 2 and another coworker a Salt Ladybug. (He likes fishing.) I showed the one with the new Dragonfly how to open and close it with one hand. The other coworker was using nail clippers to cut line. It was obvious to him that the Ladybug could do that and more. Our Lead Tech was surprised at just how many other coworkers carry Spyderco’s now that he spots the Round Hole on the blade.

Bill
Last edited by Pokey on Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marty_bill_

Post by marty_bill_ »

Well just being the first person to introduce my son's and nephews and niece's to knives is awesome thing for me. Hopefully they will always remember there first knife came from their Dad or uncle. I'm a knifenut and Spyderco makes the best gift for someone. From kitchen to a young persons pocket. Something for all. Use in good health and keepem sharp. That's the safest.
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

I feel the same way, I gave my brother a Sage 5 for a wedding gift and I was worried he’d be too afraid to use it. Every time I see him I see the clip on his pocket though, and whenever he takes it out it’s got different crud on the blade. Makes me proud.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Yep, the best part is definitely seeing it still in use months or years later. I've gifted 4 or 5 spydies, and I know some only see occasional use. But the para3 lw I gave my brother last year has been in his pocket every day since he got it, and that's awesome.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

I love giving non knife people knives. Some put them to use and others just sit in a glove box. It makes me feel good to give to people who don't have....
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I gave 3 to my brother and they just sit in boxes on the shelf. I doubt he can tell the difference between good and bad when it comes to cutlery. I gave my friends one each and I have never seen them again, nor heard mention of them. :mad:
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001