Anything else like the Watu blade shape?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
foofie

Anything else like the Watu blade shape?

Post by foofie »

I am finding the Watu blade to be just about perfect for my uses. It starts as a straight/wharncliffe, has a very gentle belly, and ends in a nice acute tip. I appreciate and use the sharp tip (rather than a sheepsfoot).

So my question - any other knives with a similar cutting edge profile? Most knives seem to have a gentle curve along the entire cutting length of the blade. The closest I can think of is the Kahr arms delica - but again, more of a gentle belly into an acute tip. The regular leaf blade is close to this - which I think is part of the reason I like the leaf so much... but now the WATU!!
VooDooChild

Re: Anything else like the Watu blade shape?

Post by VooDooChild »

There was the Chokwe before the watu.

Its a bit different but the Opus has a blade shape that is similar. It was just discontinued and there should still be some out there at discounted prices.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

Chokwe is far superior. Complock sux beans
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

5-by-5 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 1:41 pm
Chokwe is far superior. Complock sux beans
Cogent and well reasoned analysis.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
foofie

Post by foofie »

VooDooChild wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 1:22 pm
There was the Chokwe before the watu.

Its a bit different but the Opus has a blade shape that is similar. It was just discontinued and there should still be some out there at discounted prices.
Thanks. Bigger than I typically carry, but I am considering one now. Also readily available, unlike the Chokwe.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

foofie wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 12:27 pm
I am finding the Watu blade to be just about perfect for my uses. It starts as a straight/wharncliffe, has a very gentle belly, and ends in a nice acute tip. I appreciate and use the sharp tip (rather than a sheepsfoot).

So my question - any other knives with a similar cutting edge profile? Most knives seem to have a gentle curve along the entire cutting length of the blade. The closest I can think of is the Kahr arms delica - but again, more of a gentle belly into an acute tip. The regular leaf blade is close to this - which I think is part of the reason I like the leaf so much... but now the WATU!!

The Stretch has a somewhat similar "edge shape":

Very long, perfectly straight section (different to most other Spydies (that are not Wharnies) like for example the PM2, which feature a continous curve along the edge)
Of course the belly towards the tip of the Stretch is significantly more pronounced than on the Watu
No Stretch will have a tip as acute as the Watus, but the straight spine Stretch might come close.

Happen to have a pic of straight spine Stretch and Stretch 1

Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I can't think of any with that exact shape/edge, but the Dyad has a really pointy and thin tip. Kinda similar.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
foofie

Post by foofie »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 3:09 pm
I can't think of any with that exact shape/edge, but the Dyad has a really pointy and thin tip. Kinda similar.
Dyad - your are right. Kinda similar.
That made me think of the Jess Horn- very similar as well.

This might lead me down an odd rabbit hole.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Hah, I don't know how I didn't think of that one...

Baby Horn = Glorious Perfection
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson