Naked and afraid...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

When you don't have a knife, what do you use to cut things?

My teeth
12%
My nails
5%
Keys
12%
Someone else's knife!
1%
What? I always have one on me!
49%
If I can't take it, I stay home!
1%
Strong words
9%
Other - Please elaborate
10%

Total votes: 77

Albatross

Naked and afraid...

Post by Albatross »

It's a strange feeling to not carry a knife. I'm more okay with leaving my wallet or watch at home, than I am with leaving my knife behind. Recently, this scenario presented itself, and I honestly didn't like it one bit, but it got me thinking: what do people use when they have no knife?
VooDooChild

Re: Naked and afraid...

Post by VooDooChild »

Depends on why you carry one.
Adapt, improvise, overcome.
There are other ways to open a box.

If its for self defense... I kind of believe that your unarmed training should out weigh your armed training. BUT, a weapon is a huge game changer... then again if you know what youre doing a hammer can beat a knife pretty easily.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

Other than flying, I can’t think of a time I didn’t have a knife. If I’m going to a stadium I’ll usually take a dragonfly or Delica. I always have a lady bug on my keys. I’ve brought a pacific salt on a cruise before and a dragonfly to a Caribbean resort. I always try to have something on me, even if it is just a ladybug or d’fly. Given the size and weight of those 2 especially, it’s usually possible.

Now that I think about it, I was in Florida a few months ago and went to seaworld. They didn’t allow any knives but I got in without a problem with a defensive flashlight.
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

I chose other, but I’ll elaborate on all 3. If I don’t have a knife or scissors handy, I use specific things for specific tasks. I use my teeth to cut the little plastic tags that hang on clothes and other soft items, but not much else. I use keys to open boxes and other things secured with tape usually. For other assorted things I’ll also use nail clippers, the tips of pens, brute force, whatever I have handy that fits the size and material needing to be cut.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Strong words lol!

There's rarely a time when I don't have a knife on me, even if it's just a Manubug, Cricket, SAK, etc. If I don't have a knife on me, I have one (maybe two) in my car. I also manage a warehouse for a cabinet company. So we have plenty of cutting tools here at work including a 3D printed razor knife and a pair of scissors I keep in my desk drawer. If I'm out somewhere and I can't carry a knife I improvise or I don't cut what I need to cut
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

In a pinch I've used keys, or of course scissors or a steak knife. But even when I go out and can't carry a regular folder or full-size SAK - like at a school thing with my kids - I have a SAK classic or ladybug on my keychain.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
SubMicron

Post by SubMicron »

The Ladybug prevents that problem for me. Surprisingly, this safely accomplishes being a one-hand open and close knife.
Screenshot_20200519-095538_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200519-095552_Gallery.jpg
James Y

Post by James Y »

I always have at least one knife on me, UNLESS I’m going to a location or venue where knives are restricted. Like a courthouse, sports venue, amusement park, airplane, etc. Most of which I haven’t gone to in years, anyway, especially amusement parks, since I have no kids. I won’t try sneaking a knife into such places, either.

To what degree not having a knife affects you depends a lot on one’s motivations for carrying one. If it’s self-defense, as was already mentioned, I think a strong base in practical empty-handed skills first is essential before a knife. Proper empty-hand skills can make you better at handling a weapon. I don’t think about the knives I carry in that way. I’m not saying others shouldn’t, but it’s not my personal motivation. My own motivation for having a knife are the possible utility needs for it, or possible emergency needs, such as cutting free from a stuck seatbelt, etc., etc. Something highly unlikely to happen in a courthouse, sports arena, zoo, etc.

I strongly dislike not having a knife on me. However, if I had won a trip to Europe (which I’ve never been to, and let’s pretend there is no Covid problem anymore), I would almost certainly take it, even if I can’t carry a knife on me to get there. I won’t miss out on precious life experiences because I can’t carry a pocketknife 24/7, 365. When I’m on my death bed, I won’t be thinking, “I missed out on this, this and that...but at least I had my pocketknife in my pocket.”

Jim
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

JuPaul wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 8:24 am
In a pinch I've used keys, or of course scissors or a steak knife. But even when I go out and can't carry a regular folder or full-size SAK - like at a school thing with my kids - I have a SAK classic or ladybug on my keychain.
Exactly! For me it's almost a comfort thing :)
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Got caught out without a knife on the weekend as I had taken the Delica in the 4x4 inside the afternoon before.

Cigarette lighter to the rescue. If you can’t cut it burn it. :cool:

Was only the anti theft plastic shrink wrap on a box for something the misses bought.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I chose "other". My keychain has a variety of TSA-compliant tools that would leave me well equipped to cut in a pinch. I wouldn't want to use them for extended periods, but they'll work.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Been lucky, I guess. On the occasions when I was working for NYS and had to go somewhere with metal detectors and security, I never needed to cut anything while "naked". Since retiring I've only ever had to go somewhere knives were prohibited twice and,again, had no need of one while there.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I always have a knife or two on me, and they are 100% for self defense. But that does not mean that I don't have a knife for opening a box or two...those knives are near the front and rear doors where boxes are taken in.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
benben

Post by benben »

A week or so back I got a couple miles from the house and realized I’d forget my wallet, but my Pacific Salt was clipped in my RF pocket, guess I know where my priorities are!
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

About a year and a half ago I went for a walk and, about half way through, realized that I forgot to carry a knife. This is so rare an occasion for me that I actually still remember it!

Normally though, on the off-chance that I do forget my knife, I keep a couple spare beaters in the car or at my desk at work, etc.. so it's truly rare that I'm actually completely without a knife if I need one..
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have always been able to carry knives at work, school and anywhere else. I keep a spare in my truck just in case I forget mine. I think there are like 4 brand new knives in my console right now because I tend to buy them faster than I can use them. The only time I ever don’t have a knife is when I fly. I went to Atlanta a few months ago and didn’t bring a knife. There were plenty of folks there who had one and I can’t really remember needing one.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

benben wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 11:54 am
A week or so back I got a couple miles from the house and realized I’d forget my wallet, but my Pacific Salt was clipped in my RF pocket, guess I know where my priorities are!
Haha. I had a similar experience recently. Was doing yardwork and had to run to get gas. Had a knife in pocket but no wallet when I got there. Had to use my glovebox emergency twenty to fill the gas can.
Liveliner

Post by Liveliner »

I know what your saying. I carried a Gen 3 SE Endura for over 20 yrs as a career FF. Retired now, had to leave knife in FL for return flight home to New England. Felt naked witout my pocket folder. I had driven down in Jan. Plan was to fly home for March & fly back for April. Enter COVID 19. Decided not to fly back. Car, summer clothes, knife still in Fl. No problem just buy another folder. I did, then another, another. In the span of a few months I have purchased several spydies & a few others.I guess just don't feel secure without a pocket knife.Did fine many years with one knife that I used on & off the job. Now that I really don't need one as much I have several. Can't explain it. Keeps me busy now during this "stay at home time" . I check the forums, research the blade steels, watch knife reviews on YT. Trying to keep my new acquiring habit under a dozen. Been a blast!
Last edited by Liveliner on Tue May 19, 2020 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

Teeth, finger nails, keys, coins... Really, just whatever is available if I'm without a blade. Though, I honestly don't remember when that last happened to me.

Hearing all these stories about being without a knife makes me think about all the various credit card sized tools with cutting edges. I've never used one, but now I'm considering ordering one. One more way to keep an edge with you if you forget to pocket a knife. If Spyderco made one, I'd add it to my list. Something TSA compliant and capable of some cutting tasks.

In addition to my pocket knife and multitool I carry everday, I keep this LB HB around my neck as a backup. The tiny ferro rod is a nice addition.

Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Ah, hahaha! How ironic!

I forgot to grab a knife this morning and only realised after I got to work and needed to open a satchel of porridge which I opened with scissors from my desk’s draw.

I forget something most mornings, phone, security pass, wallet, knife, lunch, car keys ... but I never stress and least of all if I’m not carrying a knife. :rolleyes:

Anyhow, I count my blessings that I don’t live in a country that I need guns, grenades, knives, mace, etc, etc to feel safe.

God Bless Australia! :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin