Kapara Salt

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Catamount123

Kapara Salt

Post by Catamount123 »

I have come to the conclusion that the Kapara, with an LC200N blade and grippy G10, or FRN, scales, would be pretty much my ideal EDC. If you’re already making those changes, why not go for a full on Salt version? It also fits in nicely with the designer’s vision of an EDC folder that works well for food prep.
I don't get people who only carry one knife :thinking ;)
Sumdumguy

Re: Kapara Salt

Post by Sumdumguy »

It should have been LC200N from the beginning. Why they went S30V, I'll never understand.

It is a heck of a knife, regardless.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

The Kapara’s overly slick CF handle begs for CQI.

Something like Lance’s G10 would appeal to me.

And I wouldn’t turn up my nose at LC200N. Wasn’t Alistair’s original intent to have a knife that could double as a kitchen knife at the office?
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Salt version EVERYTHING. I would buy another version of probably every knife I own if it were available in a SE LC200N Salt version. I like that steel/edge combo so much that offering models like the Military in it almost seem like a totally new model to me.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Evil D wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 7:14 am
Salt version EVERYTHING. I would buy another version of probably every knife I own if it were available in a SE LC200N Salt version. I like that steel/edge combo so much that offering models like the Military in it almost seem like a totally new model to me.
Ditto
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 6:31 am
It should have been LC200N from the beginning. Why they went S30V, I'll never understand.

It is a heck of a knife, regardless.
+1. I think we both said this a while back, but lots of people disagreed. Still, for an edc knife that's also intended for food prep knife, why not go with lc200n like the spydiechef?
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Thunderpants

Post by Thunderpants »

What's wrong with S30V? I have only one knife with it - the Kapara - but so far it's coped with all the mangoes I've thrown at it!
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Evil D wrote:
How do you find the serrated Lc200n durability and edge holding compared to serrated h1?
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 9:41 am
Evil D wrote:
How do you find the serrated Lc200n durability and edge holding compared to serrated h1?
I really don't let my SE knives get dull, so I may not be the best to ask about edge holding, but I can say I've used LC to do some pretty stupid cutting jobs and have found the edge still sliced paper just fine afterwards, so it's no slouch.

Edge durability is hard to compare because I only have one other H1/SE that I've used hard and it damaged exactly the same as LC did, so at least on the harder end of the use spectrum neither one is immune to damage. I don't think LC is behind H1 in any way though, supposedly in the most harsh corrosive environments maybe but for general EDC it's at least on par with SE H1 if not better.

If you haven't already you may want to check out this thread.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85045
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JustinB

Post by JustinB »

While I personally love the smooth CF scales and S30v on the Kapara as it is, a textured G10 Kapara in LC200n would interest me for sure. Just keep the wire clip please! :D
Justin :spyder:
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

I'd be in for an LC200N G10 kapara.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Evil D wrote:
Salt version EVERYTHING.
i’ve been saying this for a while too. i thought there was supposed to be a production run of each of the golden knives in lc200n at some point.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I personally don´t care for TOTAL rustproofness (but grant it to all out there who live in salty climates and really need it!), so VG 10 would be fine with me..

What I´d really like to see is an FRN version...serrated VG10 (or LC200N)... NON deep carry clip... a bit better accessible comp.lock tab. :rolleyes:
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
brj

Post by brj »

I'd be in for one if they keep the contoured handle and deep carry clip. Hope they go for Micarta as it would tend to be less slick when wet.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

brj wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 12:42 am
I'd be in for one if they keep the contoured handle and deep carry clip. Hope they go for Micarta as it would tend to be less slick when wet.

Just out of curiosity (no offense, no critique! :) ): Why do you / do people want deep carry clips on such rather long knives? (Other than wanting or having to conceil the knife)

For me one of the great things about the Kapara (I had one for some time) was its rather short, compact size while still offering a lot of cutting edge - same as the Endura, but a shorter closed package.

Now: Its deep carry clip made the Kapara feel actually longer/larger in pocket than the Endura. For me this was a real downside: When riding a bike or making higher steps when hiking, the knife tended to "poke" more in the tigh for example. That alone would not have been a real problem, but it made it more likely to loose the knife since it there was a higher risk of pushing it out of the pocket unnoticed.
Additionally, it was less convenient to grab when retrieving the knife.

Actually, the very first thread I started on this forum was about if there was a NON deep carry wire clip alternative for the Kapara... ;)
Had I kept it even longer, this would have been the only mod I would have done absolutely...
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 5:44 am
brj wrote:

Just out of curiosity (no offense, no critique! :) ): Why do you / do people want deep carry clips on such rather long knives? (Other than wanting or having to conceil the knife)

For me one of the great things about the Kapara (I had one for some time) was its rather short, compact size while still offering a lot of cutting edge - same as the Endura, but a shorter closed package.

Now: Its deep carry clip made the Kapara feel actually longer/larger in pocket than the Endura. For me this was a real downside: When riding a bike or making higher steps when hiking, the knife tended to "poke" more in the tigh for example. That alone would not have been a real problem, but it made it more likely to loose the knife since it there was a higher risk of pushing it out of the pocket unnoticed.
Additionally, it was less convenient to grab when retrieving the knife.

Actually, the very first thread I started on this forum was about if there was a NON deep carry wire clip alternative for the Kapara... ;)
Had I kept it even longer, this would have been the only mod I would have done absolutely...
Hi Wartstein, I thought you might like a bit of background to the Kapara's deep carry clip.

Back in 2016, Sal started a discussion thread on Australian Blade Forums, asking what features Australian knife afi's would like in a Spyderco model, along the lines of the UKPK for the United Kingdom and the SpyDK for Denmark.

There was a wide ranging discussion, which quite a few ABF members participated in - a collective brainstorming session if you like.

I found it quite interesting to see the ideas people brought up - some of the discussion centred around things like names, colours and blade logos. Others, including myself focused more on things like bladesteels, handle ergos, and useability for specific tasks which an 'Australian folder' might be called on to perform.

A few designs were mentioned, including Alistair Phillips slipjoint with the licensed Spydiehole. As people wanted a locking knife, the Kapara was the end result.

A deep carry clip was also one of the features which was seen as preferable. The vague laws on knife carry in some states of Australia mean that many people prefer not to have the top end of a knife sticking out of their pocket, or a shiny, polished spoon clip that draws attention.

Although the Kapara didn't end up being advertised and marketed as an knife for Australian conditions, that's the genesis of the design.

The whole discussion thread is here if anyone is interested in the background of the Kapara:

https://www.australianbladeforums.com/v ... el-oz.html

And a another one from 2017, where Sal asked for input on names, imagery, etc.:

https://www.australianbladeforums.com/v ... model.html

So that's it in a nutshell. The deep carry clip on the Kapara is there as a kind of social necessity, and as someone who fits deep carry clips to nearly all my Spydies, I don't really notice any more inconvenience in drawing and deploying a deep carry knife, or the way it sits in the pocket, because I've gotten used to it, so it just feels normal.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Cambertree wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 8:57 am
Wartstein wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 5:44 am
brj wrote:
Hi Wartstein, I thought you might like a bit of background to the Kapara's deep carry clip.

Back in 2017, Sal started a discussion thread on Australian Blade Forums, asking what features Australian Spyderco users would like in a knife, along the lines of the UKPK for the United Kingdom and the SpyDK for Denmark.

There was a wide ranging discussion, which quite a few ABF members participated in - a collective brainstorming session if you like.

I found it quite interesting to see the ideas people brought up - some of the discussion centred around things like names, colours and blade logos. Others, including myself focused more on things like bladesteels, handle ergos, and useability for specific tasks which an 'Australian folder' might be called on to perform.

A few designs were mentioned, including Alistair Phillips slipjoint with the licensed Spydiehole. As people wanted a locking knife, the Kapara was the end result.

A deep carry clip was also one of the features which was seen as preferable. The vague laws on knife carry in some states of Australia mean that many people prefer not to have the top end of a knife sticking out of their pocket, or a shiny, polished spoon clip that draws attention.

Although the Kapara didn't end up being advertised and marketed as an knife for Australian conditions, that's the genesis of the design.

The whole discussion thread is here if anyone is interested in the background of the Kapara:

https://www.australianbladeforums.com/v ... model.html

So that's it in a nutshell. The deep carry clip on the Kapara is there as a kind of social necessity, and as someone who fits deep carry clips to nearly all my Spydies, I don't really notice any more inconvenience in drawing and deploying a deep carry knife, or the way it sits in the pocket, because I've gotten used to it, so it just feels normal.
Thanks, my friend for taking the time and the interesting inside! :)

As said, having / wanting to conceil my knife is the only reason that could make me personally prefer a deep carry clip over a regular one. But more power to all the people who like the deep carry!

When it comes to the Kapara (or knives of similar length or longer) a deep carry clip really is a disadvantage for me concerning the way I carry knives / the activities I do / the pants I wear / the shape of my tighs... ;)... As said above, by being so long in the pocket, it gets inconvenient when wearing jeans and riding a bike to work or making really high steps when hiking, and the motions of the tigh can literally begin to push the knife out of the pocket.
And it is certainly not EASIER to draw a knife with a deep carry clip than one with a regular one...

Vivi once put it like this (quote): "I've never understood low ride clips. To me its spending money to make my knife less functional...makes it tougher to pull out of my pocket / waistband. Have you tried carrying something like a Caly 3.5 IWB? Much tougher to pull out than a Military or Manix XL." viewtopic.php?t=73804&start=20#p1142677

A lot what I think, but again, just a totally subjective opinion... :)
Thunderpants

Post by Thunderpants »

I like the Kapara's simple wire clip - it works great, while most of the fancy titanium pocket clips I've come across have been needlessly clunky and really little more than an excuse to show off machining skills (and, more often than not, bad design.)
Having said that, when I saw Philip Whatsisname's original Kapara with its quite unique pocket clip, I though that one is cool! I really wouldn't have minded that one on the Spyderco Kapara but I ain't complaining about the wire one, either.

I didn't know that whole story about the Aussie Blade Forum discussion so thanks for that, Cambertree!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Thunderpants wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 9:53 am
I like the Kapara's simple wire clip - it works great, while most of the fancy titanium pocket clips I've come across have been needlessly clunky and really little more than an excuse to show off machining skills (and, more often than not, bad design.)
Having said that, when I saw Philip Whatsisname's original Kapara with its quite unique pocket clip, I though that one is cool! I really wouldn't have minded that one on the Spyderco Kapara but I ain't complaining about the wire one, either.

I didn't know that whole story about the Aussie Blade Forum discussion so thanks for that, Cambertree!
I like the Spyderco wire clip too... just not deep carry, but rather Manix-LW-style...
rybu0305

Post by rybu0305 »

I would buy one.
The Kapara should get Sprints and Exclusives just like the Manix and PMs. It is a wonderful knife. I would buy almost any Sprint or exclusive that came out.
More CBBL please!
Delica 4 Brown, Manix 2 G10 S110V, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 CF Cruwear, KC Endura HAP40 pakkawood, Sliverax, Kapara, Manix 2 Rex45, Manix 2 4v, Ivory Straight Stretch