Purchase limits on Sprints/Exlusives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
samdasnake

Purchase limits on Sprints/Exlusives

Post by samdasnake »

So I saw someone mention this in the pricing thread and thought it deserved it's own discussion.

Would Spyderco be willing/able to encourage/enforce purchase limits on Sprint runs and exclusives? Say 1 per household from a given retailer? I see a lot of people reselling these at a premium on eBay soon after they've come out (I just bought a kinfejoy Smock at a bit of a premium myself). I think it would help those of us who love Spyderco knives get our hands on these awesome editions without getting fleeced when they sell out in 10 minutes.

What do y'all think about this? Is it even feasible?
JuPaul

Re: Purchase limits on Sprints/Exlusives

Post by JuPaul »

With the exception of BBS exclusives, I can't think of many recent ones that weren't limited to 1 or 2. Maybe the Smock? But it also wasn't an instant sell out. I think dealers are doing a pretty good job of policing themselves on limits for the really hot models.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

Hahaha. You just asked a manufacturer who's business model is to make items to sell for profit to limit their sales. That deserves another Hahaha.
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I think their business model is to create happy customers, who continue to generate sales in the long term.

It's not an automatic "hahaha." Keeping the final buyers of sprints and exclusives happy is a good long term business, because they are the drivers of the underlying demand.

I don't think it's feasible though. Most of the retailers are already trying to do this kind of thing, and having Spyderco try would just create another layer of (largely wasted) effort. Really policing this kind of policy would require a wholesale revision of the retail model (something like pre-orders with cross checked names and addresses) that would dramatically raise costs and probably fall short anyway.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

If I’m not mistaken, the predictable buying you seek is to be found in the Collector’s Club. But that assurance comes with a price, namely a bunch of knives you may not want.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

TomAiello wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 8:28 am
I think their business model is to create happy customers, who continue to generate sales in the long term.

It's not an automatic "hahaha." Keeping the final buyers of sprints and exclusives happy is a good long term business, because they are the drivers of the underlying demand.

I don't think it's feasible though. Most of the retailers are already trying to do this kind of thing, and having Spyderco try would just create another layer of (largely wasted) effort. Really policing this kind of policy would require a wholesale revision of the retail model (something like pre-orders with cross checked names and addresses) that would dramatically raise costs and probably fall short anyway.
You make a really good point. But if Spyderco can enforce MAP they should be able to entire such limits. That said, I agree that another layer of bureaucracy may not be what the world needs. I guess we need to rely on dealers having the same motivation as Spyderco itself - keeping long term customers happy.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Not every sprint sells out super fast. Some have sold quite slow. I wouldn’t want to risk putting a limit on a slow seller.

Folks who want to flip will find a way around it.

The solution that works for me is to just make bigger runs. I am put off by these recent exclusive runs of 400-500 knives. That is a step in the wrong direction.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

Several sprints are still hanging on. For everyone that sells out in seconds I see several that don't. K390 at Bento is still around, 52100 Manix was around at Knifeworks for quite a while, even the PD#1 mules seemed to take forever to sell out despite the thirst for CruWear. It is really hard to predict what will sell out and what won't.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I say double the sprint runs on known quick sellers like para 3 and pm2 and leave it how it is for everything else.Dealer Exclusives can do whatever they want since they pony up the cash. But it would be in their best interest to be allowed to order double an exclusive run for the para 3 and pm2. Any other model and i think you are taking too high of a risk (maybe throw the shaman in there too)
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

And how would they enforce it? What would stop someone from buying one knife from BHQ, one from Knife Center, one from DLT trading etc? MAP is a bit easier to police; if someone is advertising below MAP, there you go. How could they track and regulate how many knives any individual gets?
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 9:35 am
I say double the sprint runs on known quick sellers like para 3 and pm2 and leave it how it is for everything else.Dealer Exclusives can do whatever they want since they pony up the cash. But it would be in their best interest to be allowed to order double an exclusive run for the para 3 and pm2. Any other model and i think you are taking too high of a risk (maybe throw the shaman in there too)
I think this is the only solution. Telling dealers they have to buy more would cause far too many issues.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Albatross wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 12:08 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
I think this is the only solution. Telling dealers they have to buy more would cause far too many issues.
If I recall correctly, Spyderco has already increased their minimum number to 1200 pieces for exclusives.
-Nick :bug-red
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

samdasnake wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 7:25 am
I think it would help those of us who love Spyderco knives get our hands on these awesome editions without getting fleeced when they sell out in 10 minutes.
I've not had any problems getting the Sprints I want. I currently have two that didn't require extraordinary effort to obtain. Another Sprint is due to be delivered today. In the past, I've had three different Sprints pre-ordered, but I lost interest before they became available, so I cancelled those orders.

Frankly, I've never seen a knife that was worth getting upset over if I couldn't buy it right away. After all, Sprint Runs are like buses and women: If you miss this one, there will be another coming along in ten minutes. :) :eek: :D
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

Mushroom wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 12:14 pm
Albatross wrote:
Spydergirl88 wrote:
If I recall correctly, Spyderco has already increased their minimum number to 1200 pieces for exclusives.
Sprints are 1200, but I think exclusives are a little more open. There have been recent runs of 600 or so pieces, for a few exclusives. It's possible those are just split into 2 or more batches, from the same 1200 run though.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Albatross wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 12:30 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 12:14 pm
Albatross wrote:
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sprints are 1200, but I think exclusives are a little more open. There have been recent runs of 600 or so pieces, for a few exclusives. It's possible those are just split into 2 or more batches, from the same 1200 run though.
If they haven't already done it, I believe the limit on sprint runs is also going to be be increased from 1200 pieces because the potential market has increased. (I suspect the new brown micarta/ZWEAR Shaman will be more than 1200 pieces)

Exclusives used to be more open with a minimum as low as 600 pieces but that number has since been increased for a larger market and a few other reasons. I dont know for certain if the new minimum is 1200 pieces, but I know it was increased from 600 pieces.

:spyder:
-Nick :bug-red
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I sincerely hope this change doesn’t happen.

Enough new rules already.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 9:07 am
Folks who want to flip will find a way around it.
I bought my first paramilitary 2 as the S45VN sprint and bought a second from another retailer. I could have purchased a third, but didn't.

If someone wants to buy these up to flip, they'll find a way around any limitations on purchasing...

FeistyKat

Post by FeistyKat »

RustyIron wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 12:18 pm
After all, Sprint Runs are like buses and women: If you miss this one, there will be another coming along in ten minutes. :) :eek: :D
I dunno, I rode a few "buses" before meeting my wife, but haven't considered any sort of "XFER" since tying the knot with her. She's my keeper.

And that's how I feel about the Shaman S90V, which I unfortunately have not been able to find.

I would be happy to settle for a Chief in S90V. Hopefully that will be possible. (That won't be a good day for sleeping in!)
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

This is all ridiculous...

I can understand increasing sprint run numbers, but requesting Spyderco themselves impose more restrictions on how things are sold and priced is overwhelmingly stupid.

Honestly, it's so far beyond stupid... my brain can't even... I just don't know...

I have more respect for my fellow Spyderholics than this. What is going to be recommended next, that we start practicing communism?

I apologize if this comes off a bit tactless, but the amount of complaining and cockamamie "solutions" on here are reaching levels of annoyance that make me hesitant to log on. I have always enjoyed coming on here and having engaging discussions, but lately an increasing number of the discussions have been devolving into something more akin to a YouTube comment section.

I would hate to see this forum go the way of so many others, but the path is forming.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 6:26 am
This is all ridiculous...

I can understand increasing sprint run numbers, but requesting Spyderco themselves impose more restrictions on how things are sold and priced is overwhelmingly stupid.

Honestly, it's so far beyond stupid... my brain can't even... I just don't know...

I have more respect for my fellow Spyderholics than this. What is going to be recommended next, that we start practicing communism?

I apologize if this comes off a bit tactless, but the amount of complaining and cockamamie "solutions" on here are reaching levels of annoyance that make me hesitant to log on. I have always enjoyed coming on here and having engaging discussions, but lately an increasing number of the discussions have been devolving into something more akin to a YouTube comment section.

I would hate to see this forum go the way of so many others, but the path is forming.
Given the current state of the world, we will see more of this for the foreseeable future.

Availability, pricing, country of origin, etc.

I agree that things have taken a turn and understand where people are coming from, but in some instances, it's too far and the things said are, in my eyes, disrespectful.