Purchase limits on Sprints/Exlusives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TomAiello

Re: Purchase limits on Sprints/Exlusives

Post by TomAiello »

I may be in the minority, but I think Spyderco is doing sprints and exclusives exactly right. I hate when I miss one that I'd really like to have, but I understand the game, and I've accepted how it works.

Different dealers use slightly different rules, which is great. Having Spyderco try to centralize the system and control it sounds like a step backward, and a big mistake, to me.

Extra kudos to Spyderco for the Z-Wear/Carta Shaman. That's a real case of listening to your customers.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Realistically, the only way Spyderco could enforce purchase limits on Sprint Runs would be to only sell them direct to consumers. That would probably not go over well with their distributors and dealers, and folks who wanted to exceed those limits would still find ways to do it. Heck, folks are doing that now with grocery items.

As for Exclusives, IMHO, asking someone who has just shelled out $40K or more for something they commissioned and committed to buying six months to a year or more ago to do anything to slow down sales would be the height of self-serving arrogance. Besides, with Exclusives, there is no hard ceiling on the number produced. Spyderco allows whoever commissions an Exclusive to order as many subsequent runs of it as they wish. If they elect not to, Spyderco can then produce more on their own dime and them to sell to dealers and distributors.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

TomAiello wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 10:29 am
I may be in the minority, but I think Spyderco is doing sprints and exclusives exactly right. I hate when I miss one that I'd really like to have, but I understand the game, and I've accepted how it works.

Different dealers use slightly different rules, which is great. Having Spyderco try to centralize the system and control it sounds like a step backward, and a big mistake, to me.

Extra kudos to Spyderco for the Z-Wear/Carta Shaman. That's a real case of listening to your customers.
Exactly this.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
TomAiello wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 10:29 am

Exactly this.
The Deacon wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 4:31 pm
Realistically, the only way Spyderco could enforce purchase limits on Sprint Runs would be to only sell them direct to consumers. That would probably not go over well with their distributors and dealers, and folks who wanted to exceed those limits would still find ways to do it. Heck, folks are doing that now with grocery items.

As for Exclusives, IMHO, asking someone who has just shelled out $40K or more for something they commissioned and committed to buying six months to a year or more ago to do anything to slow down sales would be the height of self-serving arrogance. Besides, with Exclusives, there is no hard ceiling on the number produced. Spyderco allows whoever commissions an Exclusive to order as many subsequent runs of it as they wish. If they elect not to, Spyderco can then produce more on their own dime and them to sell to dealers and distributors.
These posts Liked by ZrowsN1s :D
👍
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Slash

Post by Slash »

samdasnake wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 7:25 am
So I saw someone mention this in the pricing thread and thought it deserved it's own discussion.

Would Spyderco be willing/able to encourage/enforce purchase limits on Sprint runs and exclusives? Say 1 per household from a given retailer? I see a lot of people reselling these at a premium on eBay soon after they've come out (I just bought a kinfejoy Smock at a bit of a premium myself). I think it would help those of us who love Spyderco knives get our hands on these awesome editions without getting fleeced when they sell out in 10 minutes.

What do y'all think about this? Is it even feasible?
I have 100 friends with 3-4 various emails and addresses, credit cards, etc...You see where I'm going with this? I actually don't but I'm quite certain some do or at least did in the past. Can't even say lottery would fix it as it would be similar type circumstances.
Hate to say it but only real fix would be never buy off ebay or other 2nd market type sites. Only then would you limit the flippers potential profits and reason to buy the sprint in the first place. I'd be lying if I said I've never sold a spyderco or other for profit. Just many other ways to make money like trading stocks...