PRICING

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JRinFL

Re: PRICING

Post by JRinFL »

Well said Albatross!
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

skx013k2 wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 5:43 pm
I don’t mind paying a bit more for Spyderco given their quality and purpose built offerings (Salt). I would gladly pay a few $ more for a Golden made knife. However, there is something that makes Spyderco overpriced. . . *the lack of deep carry pocket clip*.

For most models I need to add another $25 for an aftermarket deep carry clip.

A $130 Native 5 Salt becomes $155.
A $91 Salt 2 becomes $116.
A $84 base model, VG-10, foreign made, Delica becomes $109.

That’s 20% of the knife price for some models. This takes Spydero from a little expensive to overpriced. I know Spyderco wants to support the clip makers, but they should then offer a clip-less model for a $20 discount.

Maybe I just don´t fully understand what you mean, but with all due respect:

From a practical point of view there is not much to say against the (just imho great) Spyderco NON deep carry hourglass- or wireclip.
It makes the knife both better accessible and smaller/shorter in pocket than deep carry (I myself would immidiately switch from deep carry to NON deep carry on any knife larger than a Chap, but that´s purely personal preference of course)
It works just perfectly well, never had any problems. It is certainly NOT a design-flaw or whatever.
Many will still prefer deep carry clips for whatever reasons, and that´s fine, but even on this forum the majority prefers NON deep carry or is indifferent as far as I can remember threads and polls about this, and in the general knife market it will probably be the same.

So: Spyderco made a good choice here, I guess.

Now: If you or anyone else wants to mod a knife by giving it a deep carry clip, that´s fine, but not a "need", just personal preference. Not different to if for example I would like Micarta instead of G10. Or a aftermarket regrind of the tip. My choice, but I could not blame Spyderco that this mods "make their knives 20 % more expensive"

And, last point:
IF Spyderco would "offer clipless models for a 20 USD discount" - that would be
a) a logistical nightmare I guess,
b) would NOT safe SPYDERCO actually 20 USD and
c) would be no different to if I demanded "scale less" models for a discount price so that I could choose which scale material I personally prefer...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
skx013k2

Post by skx013k2 »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 3:31 pm
skx013k2 wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 5:43 pm
I don’t mind paying a bit more for Spyderco given their quality and purpose built offerings (Salt). I would gladly pay a few $ more for a Golden made knife. However, there is something that makes Spyderco overpriced. . . *the lack of deep carry pocket clip*.

For most models I need to add another $25 for an aftermarket deep carry clip.

A $130 Native 5 Salt becomes $155.
A $91 Salt 2 becomes $116.
A $84 base model, VG-10, foreign made, Delica becomes $109.

That’s 20% of the knife price for some models. This takes Spydero from a little expensive to overpriced. I know Spyderco wants to support the clip makers, but they should then offer a clip-less model for a $20 discount.

Maybe I just don´t fully understand what you mean, but with all due respect:

From a practical point of view there is not much to say against the (just imho great) Spyderco NON deep carry hourglass- or wireclip.
Agree on the wire clip. If they made the wire clip fit the standard hole pattern and changed $5 for it (like their major competitor) I’d have no complaint.
skx013k2

Post by skx013k2 »

I realized my posts may have come off as a bit harsh. It wasn’t the intent. There are specific spydercos that are great values. Para 3 LW @ $98 vs BM Bugout @ $127. I don’t think there is a better value (considering quality & price) for a USA made knife than the para 3 lw. Both knives are nice, but IMHO, it’s not even close when you are talking about value for your $ as the Bugout costs 30% more.

My comment was more towards the deep carry clip. A $105 Native 5 LW, add a deep carry clip, you are @ $130. The knife is still great, but you are now in Bugout terrority, which *for me* is overpriced.

Anyway, I acknowledge most disagree with me re the clip.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

skx013k2 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 4:05 am
I realized my posts may have come off as a bit harsh. It wasn’t the intent. There are specific spydercos that are great values. Para 3 LW @ $98 vs BM Bugout @ $127. I don’t think there is a better value (considering quality & price) for a USA made knife than the para 3 lw. Both knives are nice, but IMHO, it’s not even close when you are talking about value for your $ as the Bugout costs 30% more.

My comment was more towards the deep carry clip. A $105 Native 5 LW, add a deep carry clip, you are @ $130. The knife is still great, but you are now in Bugout terrority, which *for me* is overpriced.

I don´t feel like your posts were "harsh" :)

It just sounded like you´d say that a deep carry clip is definitely and objectively an improvement or almost a "must" on any knife, while many don´t think so, don´t care, or just feel the opposite (like I do). So I did not fully understand your notion that basically "Spydercos are actually more expensive than the price they are sold for, cause one HAS to add the money for a deep carry clip". Again, would be much like saying "a G10 PM 2 is generally more expensive than it is, cause one HAS to add the money for Micarta scales"... ;)

But I´ll admit: I am certainly one of those who does not like deep carry clips at all, and that´s totally subjective of course and just a personal opinion.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Slash

Post by Slash »

I obviously like the knives they make. Otherwise I wouldn't own some of the most expensive ones they make, fixed(darn dao, respect) and folding(paysan).
My logic with respect to pricing mostly comes down to handle materials used and complexity of designs.
It's just really difficult to break down and spend $X on something that I feel should be $Y. if that makes any sense.
Not necessarily comparing it to other brands and what they charge. I didn't compare my 2020 F350 that list for $70k to a Ram or Silverado before I ordered it and I'm not brand specific as I traded in a 2018 Silverado 1500. I would actually consider myself a "Chevy" guy. I also consider myself a "Spydiehead" or whatever it is we call ourselves...
I'll probably end up buying then siren eventually even though I'm pretty certain 3 or 4 years ago it would have been around $120.
Happy Memorial day to all our fallen heroes.
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

skx013k2 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 4:05 am

I think maybe you should be questioning why aftermarket clip manufactures are charging you the price of a knife (Byrd Robin is $26)for a bent piece of metal with three holes in it? I recently bought a titanium spork that contains far more titanium and is at least as complicated as a pocket clip for $6.
Slash

Post by Slash »

jtoler_9 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 12:26 am
I don’t care for MAP. It makes shopping for knives boring and mundane. But I’m not a vendor, so it doesn’t matter what I think.
Yeah, same here. So, I've been using DLT for any and all purchases whenever possible as I don't get taxed to my state NV and they have a rewards program. Maybe the sales tax is part of the inflation concern I feel as well. But, that's a whole other problem I don't want to get into here.
BobABQ

Post by BobABQ »

I must admit that I didn’t read all of the pages of comments but it seems rather simple to me. If you can afford the knife of your desires and are willing to pay the price commanded then good for you. If you are not willing to pay the price then don’t and move on.

No one is forcing anyone to buy a pocket knife.
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 6:15 am

I think maybe you should be questioning why aftermarket clip manufactures are charging you the price of a knife (Byrd Robin is $26)for a bent piece of metal with three holes in it? I recently bought a titanium spork that contains far more titanium and is at least as complicated as a pocket clip for $6.
It's good ol' supply and demand. That $6 spork was one design mass produced many times and it didn't have design constraints. These clips usually have to be made to fit each individual model perfectly. In the grand scheme of things, it's a very small niche market and you'll always pay more for that.
Slash

Post by Slash »

sal wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 5:59 pm
Hi JonDoe,

Welcome to our forum.

About 10% of our knives are made in China, by choice.

sal
I prefer when at all possible to buy USA made. But, I do understand given certain designs and steels it will come from another country.
Question is just out of curiosity, do all or most the Golden made knives use 100% in house made parts and pieces? You don't have to answer if you don't want to and it's really not that big a deal for purchasing decision. As said just curiosity asking, please don't kill the cat...
Thanks
Josh
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Slash,

Generally speaking, all Golden made knives are using USA made parts.

sal
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

sal wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 2:11 pm
Hi Slash,

sal

That's a great marketing point, that is, all Golden Spyderco models use USA-made parts and labor.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Slash

Post by Slash »

RamZar wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 3:22 pm
sal wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 2:11 pm
Hi Slash,

sal

That's a great marketing point, that is, all Golden Spyderco models use USA-made parts and labor.
Agree completely now more than ever with everything that's happening in the world, specifically our country today. Very important times we live in to come out on top...
Slash

Post by Slash »

Couldn't resist my urge for some RUST PROOF steel. Grabbed a siren from smks. No tax to NV, free hat and free shipping made it less painful. Ohh, and 0% interest for 6 months from paypal. Now just have to find myself a fishing kayak...
Slash

Post by Slash »

Please see OP. I really think it's(siren) worth every penny I spent. Now I just have to go on a fishing trip and use it.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Hi Slash, if the Siren encourages you to go out and enjoy some time in nature and on the water then that will put a big smile on my face. But don’t feel that is “required use”. Yes, the Siren was designed to withstand the harshest of environments and I like to see folks getting out into the wild and using it but it was also designed to be a “do everything” knife. Enjoy!
jdw

Post by jdw »

I bought a Siren, I think that it's a great value, and I thoroughly enjoy it. Corrosion resistance isn't at the top of my needs but the steel combined with the overall design is a pleasure to use for a multitude of outdoor tasks. My main wish at this point is that it would come in a SE version eventually.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

jdw wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:39 am
I bought a Siren, I think that it's a great value, and I thoroughly enjoy it. Corrosion resistance isn't at the top of my needs but the steel combined with the overall design is a pleasure to use for a multitude of outdoor tasks. My main wish at this point is that it would come in a SE version eventually.
I am so, so, so on board with this that I'm beginning to sound like a broken record. A lot of talk about the Caribbean in serrated LC, but otherwise not much else out there. The Native 5 Salt is offered in serrated LC but I've seen no discussion about it. IMHO the Siren doesn't get the recognition it deserves. It really is a Cadillac in disguise. The build quality is that good. I would much prefer a serrated Siren to a serrated Caribbean and hope this comes to fruition.
Messer Meister

Post by Messer Meister »

I want to give some input here as someone who isn't a big collector. I'm a college student who has still been an adamant knife collector for many years, but as you can imagine I don't own many knives in the $100+ price range and tend to stick below that. Now I of course don't have much expendable income but neither do most people who are buying knives in general. I could be wrong, but I would imagine a lot of these lower end models would traditionally move a lot more units than more expensive knives.
I think its important to understand collectors are their own bubble, while that bubble may be growing your average Joe still sees a $50 knife as a relatively expensive one. The higher end knives won't suffer as much from this, because $150 isn't really that much more comparatively expensive when its up from $130 or so (plus people willing to buy higher end knives tend to have more niche taste). The largest problem I see is for the low to mid range models in my (and I would imagine the average consumer's) bracket.
The majority of these knives even with the asterisk of being a Spyderco simply aren't feasible options for me and I would imagine even worse for people who are not as into knives. The Tenacious family is $50+ when knives $10 cheaper come in D2. The Seki models which have been mentioned a lot in this thread turned from some of Spyderco's most popular models to not even being seen as that worthwhile to knife freaks like us or many popular reviewers.
This isn't intended to be a huge rant and obviously I don't know many of the internal details or whatever, but I just don't want to see this trend continue when many of these models went beyond their reasonable price point two years ago. I'd hate to see something like the endura line stop production over this even if its years from now. Most importantly with all this cash burning a hole in my pocket I would like to give more of it to Spyderco.