Y’all like rare knives? First run Paramilitary, circa 2004.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Y’all like rare knives? First run Paramilitary, circa 2004.

Post by Doc Dan »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 10:37 am
kennethsime wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 10:13 am
araneae wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 10:45 pm
Everything good about the paramilitary got better in the P2. The Para 3 took those refinements and made it more compact. The para 3 lightweights solved the issues I had with the g-10 version, the clip placement and the somewhat blocky handles. I'm probably done buying g-10 variants and I'm expecting a P2 lightweight will materialize sometime soon.

CQI sets Spyderco apart from a lot of other companies. Simply making a good knife and then calling it a done deal isn't their way, but that's how most of their competitors work. There's almost always room for improvement, but each generation, a Spyderco knife tends to have noticably less room for improvement than the previous version.
Man I can get behind this. I think that Sal mentioned somewhere Eric is working on it.

I picked up a Manix 2 LW recently and while it's a great knife, my biggest takeaway is that I can't wait for a Para Military 2 Lightweight.
Probably one of the (few) points where we DON´T agree ;) (since I know already I´ll prefer the Manix 2 LW over the PM2 LW, just cause I do like the Manix platform more in general), but still I am a bit puzzled that it takes them so long to release a PM2 LW. Must be due to limited production capacity or some strategic thoughts. Just from my total layman point of view, most of the developing work should have been done already with the Para 3 LW (constructing a genious basically linerless comp.lock knife. The concept should be quite "easily" be transferred to the PM2? Could be wrong though, layman as said...)
Most likely it is because they cannot make the PM2 fast enough to meet demand. “If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.”
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Wartstein wrote:
Probably one of the (few) points where we DON´T agree ;) (since I know already I´ll prefer the Manix 2 LW over the PM2 LW, just cause I do like the Manix platform more in general), but still I am a bit puzzled that it takes them so long to release a PM2 LW. Must be due to limited production capacity or some strategic thoughts. Just from my total layman point of view, most of the developing work should have been done already with the Para 3 LW (constructing a genious basically linerless comp.lock knife. The concept should be quite "easily" be transferred to the PM2? Could be wrong though, layman as said...)
To each their own my friend!

I was watching a video from 2017 the other day and Eric shared that the Shaman spent 5 years in development.

As was raised earlier in this thread, Spyderco invests a ton of time and attention to detail in their knives, perhaps more than many of their competitors. Where some companies seem to just pump out as many models as possible, Spyderco doesn't seem to produce anything they can't stand behind for years, and they even go back and fix things later with their CQI program.

Following, the Para Military 2 is perhaps their most iconic knife at this point, and the LW model basically has to be a slam dunk in order to do the name justice. I bet they got a prototype pretty quickly, and are just refining at this point.

I'm sure production capacity is another reason, Sal and Eric have both pointed out recently that Golden is at or near capacity and has been for some time.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kennethsime wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 1:36 pm
Wartstein wrote:
To each their own my friend!

I was watching a video from 2017 the other day and Eric shared that the Shaman spent 5 years in development.

As was raised earlier in this thread, Spyderco invests a ton of time and attention to detail in their knives, perhaps more than many of their competitors. Where some companies seem to just pump out as many models as possible, Spyderco doesn't seem to produce anything they can't stand behind for years, and they even go back and fix things later with their CQI program.

Following, the Para Military 2 is perhaps their most iconic knife at this point, and the LW model basically has to be a slam dunk in order to do the name justice. I bet they got a prototype pretty quickly, and are just refining at this point.

I'm sure production capacity is another reason, Sal and Eric have both pointed out recently that Golden is at or near capacity and has been for some time.
Well said, and very true! - Especially the point that the PM2 perhaps is their most iconic model. I really like mine too, it is a great design, still just not my overall favorite. And when the LW version comes out, they will want to make sure it is perfectly done.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I like that clip. It looks pretty heavy duty to me! When did the switch to point up mounting points take place?
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
AwayFromMySpydieHole

Post by AwayFromMySpydieHole »

bearrowland wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 7:21 pm
I like that clip. It looks pretty heavy duty to me! When did the switch to point up mounting points take place?
Not sure when the switch happened!

But the clip itself was adapted from the military model. That model still uses that style clip to this day.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I made the switch to point up as soon as I got a Torx wrench set. It's probably the biggest reason I don't get a Military (other than justifying it to my wife!!). That's one heavy duty mounting point.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
AwayFromMySpydieHole

Post by AwayFromMySpydieHole »

I would still love Sal to chime in on this one. All of my research has led to me to believe this is a 2004 model, and one of the first. But obviously a confirmation from the man himself would be cool. :)
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Away,

Nice find. The original Paramilitary was an interesting design. The cutout detent proved to be more expensive and very close tolerance. It was the original Compression lock detent, and the Para was the first model with it. The model did OK, but then Eric decided to CQI the model based on his skill and hands rather than laws. The Para 2 was the result of that effort. It is now one of our most popular models.

sal
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

sal wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 6:53 pm
Hi Away,

Nice find. The original Paramilitary was an interesting design. The cutout detent proved to be more expensive and very close tolerance. It was the original Compression lock detent, and the Para was the first model with it. The model did OK, but then Eric decided to CQI the model based on his skill and hands rather than laws. The Para 2 was the result of that effort. It is now one of our most popular models.

sal
Sal,

It may be asking too much, but I'd love to know what the best-selling models are. Top 10 all-time, vs. the trailing 12 months would be very interesting.

Best,
Kenneth
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
CXXX

Post by CXXX »

I have a very close sister to yours #157!
Also #53V #C81GSBK Spyderedge Black Blade