Rare 1990 BLACK SEAL.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Deacon

Re: Rare 1990 BLACK SEAL.

Post by The Deacon »

sid137 wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 11:57 am
The Deacon wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 11:13 am
Perhaps it's my eyes, they've seen better days, or the fact that markings can be hard to see on a black knife, but I can't see any SEAL marking on that Police. TiNi coatings were done experimentally by Spyderco from fairly early on but the problem is, they were also done aftermarket by distributors and dealers. Would love to see the side of the box that has the label.
Appreciate that...

Unless they were scored into the steel, Police or Navy Seal markings would be covered. Same with Spydie logo. It was sold that none of the 3 were evident.

Box is plain except for the sticker.

Unless someone knows for certain otherwise , I’ll give the knife the benefit of the doubt. The coating appears remarkably thin, silky smooth, and aged.

POLICE markings were stamped or engraved into the blades but came and went, some batches had them, others did not. Spyderco "bug" logo did not start appearing on blades until about 2005, so would not expect to find one on a knife from the early-mid 90's which is where the G-2 steel marking on the blade places your Police. On a knife of that vintage the clip should have patent markings, most often on the flat portion, but possibly on the curved portion, and I would not expect to find a :spyder: logo on it. As for SEAL team insignia, I have only ever seen it on a plain stainless (no coating) Spyderco and it was engraved on the presentation side of the handle. I would assume that, if present on a coated knife, it would be similarly engraved and visible, but might be difficult or impossible to see in a photo.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
sid137

Post by sid137 »

The Deacon wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 12:43 pm
sid137 wrote:
The Deacon wrote:
Perhaps it's my eyes, they've seen better days, or the fact that markings can be hard to see on a black knife, but I can't see any SEAL marking on that Police. TiNi coatings were done experimentally by Spyderco from fairly early on but the problem is, they were also done aftermarket by distributors and dealers. Would love to see the side of the box that has the label.
Appreciate that...

Unless they were scored into the steel, Police or Navy Seal markings would be covered. Same with Spydie logo. It was sold that none of the 3 were evident.

Unless someone knows for certain otherwise , I’ll give the knife the benefit of the doubt. The coating appears remarkably thin, silky smooth, and aged.

POLICE markings were stamped or engraved into the blades but came and went, some batches had them, others did not. Spyderco "bug" logo did not start appearing on blades until about 2005, so would not expect to find one on a knife from the early-mid 90's which is where the G-2 steel marking on the blade places your Police. On a knife of that vintage the clip should have patent markings, most often on the flat portion, but possibly on the curved portion, and I would not expect to find a :spyder: logo on it. As for SEAL team insignia, I have only ever seen it on a plain stainless (no coating) Spyderco and it was engraved on the presentation side of the handle. I would assume that, if present on a coated knife, it would be similarly engraved and visible, but might be difficult or impossible to see in a photo.
I do again appreciate the discourse.
It does have patent markings & numbers (2 rows) along the flat portion of the clip.

Lance Clinton indicated in the comments on my IG post that if the notch is uncoated/stainless (as is seen in the second photo), then the notch was made at Spyderco after the black coating was applied. Since the notches are done at Spyderco, then so was the coating.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

sid137 wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 4:25 pm
The Deacon wrote:
sid137 wrote:
The Deacon wrote:
Appreciate that...

It does have patent markings & numbers (2 rows) along the flat portion of the clip.

Lance Clinton indicated in the comments on my IG post that if the notch is uncoated/stainless (as is seen in the second photo), then the notch was made at Spyderco after the black coating was applied. Since the notches are done at Spyderco, then so was the coating.
Yeah, given that the factory second notch was ground after the coating I would guess the coating must have been done in house. Some of the older members will know better than me but I seem to remember some of the older Spyderco coatings being done after the teeth were ground and the blade was sharpened. It makes for a really different look when the blade is truly “blacked out”.
sid137

Post by sid137 »

Surfingringo wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 7:07 pm
sid137 wrote:
The Deacon wrote:
sid137 wrote:

Appreciate that...

Yeah, given that the factory second notch was ground after the coating I would guess the coating must have been done in house. Some of the older members will know better than me but I seem to remember some of the older Spyderco coatings being done after the teeth were ground and the blade was sharpened. It makes for a really different look when the blade is truly “blacked out”.

I took a few extra pics at my IG link below...

The notch finish matches that of the unpainted portion of the blade tang in the first pic.

Had to filter/overexpose the second pic to better see the 2 rows of patent-pending info on the clip.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAOtPXxDlP ... 41gflssqsl
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Very cool knife, congratulations on the great find.

I could definitely see a remake of that being popular. A blacked out K390 Police 4 would be a great variant. Or a TiCN coated VG10 combo edge P4 LW with black hardware.

So I guess this knife was actually originally made for a USN contract? Anyone know any more about the history of this particular model?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

sid137 wrote:

So, the knife is all original, and a very nice example of a factory second of the C07SBK version of the Spyderco Police Model. The C07SBK is listed on Spyderco price lists from '92-'94, so your knife would have been made within that range. Based on the G-2 steel markings, I'd tend to put it in the later half of that range, as earlier examples may not have steel markings. Photo below is an excerpt from Spyderco's 1994 price list. Only question I would have is the SEAL connection.

Police 94 Prices.png
Paul
sid137

Post by sid137 »

The Deacon wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 4:41 am
sid137 wrote:

So, the knife is all original, and a very nice example of a factory second of the C07SBK version of the Spyderco Police Model. The C07SBK is listed on Spyderco price lists from '92-'94, so your knife would have been made within that range. Based on the G-2 steel markings, I'd tend to put it in the later half of that range, as earlier examples may not have steel markings. Photo below is an excerpt from Spyderco's 1994 price list. Only question I would have is the SEAL connection.

Police 94 Prices.png

Love seeing that list - thanks!

Very cool to know the more accurate date range as well.

Regarding the Seal moniker, I’d tend (myself) to give the benefit of the doubt to the seller’s labeling - being that he lives in Japan, has owned the knife, has a perfect seller’s rating, and sells/has sold other vintage Spydercos/knives.

Then again I bought it Immediately when I saw it based on its look and vintage production characteristics, not the model name. I knew it was obviously Police DNA.
But if it’s just a fully Matte-blackened ‘94 Police in G2/serrations - that’s just as cool to me. Either way, thank you for helping probe into its originality and background - very cool of you and am grateful for the results and exchanges.

Footnote - someone mentioned there’s one going for 1000 euros in a Dutch auction; plan to check out and compare markings if possible. Mine cost $400 plus $30 shipping to the US.
sid137

Post by sid137 »

The Deacon wrote:
sid137 wrote:
The Deacon wrote:

Appreciate that...

CASE CLOSED, as my friend Nick Shabazz would say.

I was wiping it down fingerprints to box and store, and as soon as I wiped it wet from the alcohol on the microfiber, an image emerged.

DEFINITELY a Navy Seal.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAQJaiIjOh ... vxrl0tt1ow

Crazy thing is - as soon as the isopropyl evaporated, the superfine etching/image disappeared.

This has been fun, and now rewarding. Thanks again Deacon.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

sid137 wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 8:38 am
CASE CLOSED, as my friend Nick Shabazz would say.

I was wiping it down fingerprints to box and store, and as soon as I wiped it wet from the alcohol on the microfiber, an image emerged.

DEFINITELY a Navy Seal.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAQJaiIjOh ... vxrl0tt1ow

Crazy thing is - as soon as the isopropyl evaporated, the superfine etching/image disappeared.

This has been fun, and now rewarding. Thanks again Deacon.

Excellent!!! I'm glad I was wrong and that my doubts were unfounded. :) Great find! Enjoy!
Paul
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

I found an old post on Bladeforums where Sal mentioned that there was a distributor in California that commissioned all black Police models for the Seals.

all black police model

I also found this expired auction on worthpoint that shows an all black Police model with a Seal trident. Warning, the pics are kinda hard to see, but if you zoom in you can see the trident engraved on the handle. Not sure if this was present on all "Seal" Police models or not.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ ... -470985594
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
sid137

Post by sid137 »

StuntZombie wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 10:19 am
I found an old post on Bladeforums where Sal mentioned that there was a distributor in California that commissioned all black Police models for the Seals.

all black police model

I also found this expired auction on worthpoint that shows an all black Police model with a Seal trident. Warning, the pics are kinda hard to see, but if you zoom in you can see the trident engraved on the handle. Not sure if this was present on all "Seal" Police models or not.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ ... -470985594

Thanks for this info Chris!

Mine has the Navy Seal Trident, as seen here:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAQJaiIjOh- ... vxrl0tt1ow
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

Awesome! It's crazy it took the alcohol to bring it out like that. I had one of those in plain edge, but I don't think it was a Navy Seal model.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
Haunted House

Post by Haunted House »

That knife is awesome!