Spyderco factory choice

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ThomC

Spyderco factory choice

Post by ThomC »

Hey folks,

Looking at the wide variety of designs, I was wondering why certain models weren't made in the Golden factory.
Take the Police for example. Many of us know it's a Sald design, carried by a lot of officers, but outside of the steel, why is it specifically made in Japan ? Considering the expansion of the K390 line-up, wouldn't it be cheaper to have the steel shipped to the US and worked on and applied to other models there ?
Is there some sort of deal or specific arrangement that dictates where each and every model is made ?
I.e. I know that FRN molds are more expensive to make but are ultimately affordable in the long run, which explains some LW variants coming out of Golden.

Tl;dr : why can't some models be made simultaneously in different factories ?
European amateur knife enthusiast
Hikes and outdoors galore
🏍️Motorcycle enthusiast
In the knoife box : M4 Millie, Spyderco Perrin Street Bowie, TOPS Tanimboca
In the future : CE/SE/Rex45/MagnaCut Millie, K2, Slysz Bowie, linerlock Sage
Sharp Guy

Re: Spyderco factory choice

Post by Sharp Guy »

I'm sure there's a lot of things that factor into the decision of where a certain model will be made. My guess is production capacity is a biggie. Capability of the various makers and origin of the blade steels are likely considerations as well. I'm sure there's a lot more to it that us ELUs will probably ever know.

Making the same model in two different factories doesn't seem like it would be a good idea IMO. Now you have two different countries of origin for the same model? Seems like that would cause a lot of issues to me
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
JMM

Post by JMM »

Just my WAG is that there are significant costs associated with doing so... from costs of steels being imported first off, like shipping V-Toku2 to the Italy, or Elmax to Japan, there's a reason Elmax is only seen in models from Italy (with one Exclusive exception) or why Japanese sourced steels are generally only seen in Seki models. Plus the costs of molds, machining everything required per model is a crazy expensive proposition... duplicating that process would likely far outstrip the possible benefits of being able to make one model at two different locations.... but this is just my WAG, I could be wrong, and I am sure logistically there's a ton more to it, but I'd wager this is a pretty big part of it....

Cheers,

John
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I believe that at one point in the 90s, all Spydercos were made in Japan. The other factories are a relatively modern thing, I believe. Spyderco tries to keep their models with the original maker, Sal has a Japanese word for this ethic, I can't recall it now.

The other thing to keep in mind is that tooling is expensive, and often difficult to ship. Once you've tooled up to make the Police, shipping some extra steel over the sea is much easier than shipping the tooling back and forth.

There are a couple of exceptions; the Native I believe was originally produced in the USA, then in Japan, but has been back in the USA for quite awhile now. I'm not sure the how and why of exceptions like this.
Last edited by kennethsime on Fri May 15, 2020 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

You would ultimately end up with a debate about which is better. Consider the Austrian vs USA made Glocks for example, even though they're held to the same standards people still debate it. We even have a debate already about which Spyderco factory puts out the best fit and finish.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
sal

Post by sal »

Hi ThomC,

It's really not practical for many of the reasons mentioned and a few others not mentioned. The word Kennethsime was seeking is "giri" which is a very strong type of loyalty that is respected by most makers.

sal
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Spyderco and its longtime makers are intertwined like two vines mutually supporting each other as they grow. I’m guessing Sal has known some of the Japanese makers for several decades.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
sal

Post by sal »

Hi JR,

In Japan, I worked with the grandfather and the father and Eric is working with the grandson. Since 1980. We've been working with our Taipei maker for about 25 years. Eric is now working with the son, I worked with the father. Our Taichung maker was an experienced start up that we've been working with for 20 years. We know the parents and watched the children grow up. I worked with Te father with Fox in Maniago, now we work with the son.

It's really far more involved than just making knives.

sal
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Family...
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

And that is just cool.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

sal wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 10:27 pm
Hi JR,

In Japan, I worked with the grandfather and the father and Eric is working with the grandson. Since 1980. We've been working with our Taipei maker for about 25 years. Eric is now working with the son, I worked with the father. Our Taichung maker was an experienced start up that we've been working with for 20 years. We know the parents and watched the children grow up. I worked with Te father with Fox in Maniago, now we work with the son.

It's really far more involved than just making knives.

sal
If this forum had an upvote feature I would be upvoting this post so hard right now. A lot of companies these days make good folding knives (and to be honest, a lot of them can sell their knives for much cheaper than Spyderco), but the reason I go for Spyderco models time and again beyond the excellence of their unique designs and the quality of their production is the knowledge that I am supporting a business run by good people, who are able to see beyond the bottom line.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

^+1!

Good stuff.
ThomC

Post by ThomC »

So it's basically a loyalty and a family thing. I appreciate the answer.
It just goes to show that there are still businesses willing to commit to such values.
I have a lot of love for Spyderco products, but so far didn't know much of the company's ethics (outside of the integrity thing). I'm glad to support you guys !
🏍️Motorcycle enthusiast
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Do all injection-molded knives get made in Japan?
ThomC

Post by ThomC »

dj moonbat wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 7:24 am
Do all injection-molded knives get made in Japan?
I don't think so : the Para 3, Native and Manix have LW versions made in Golden.
🏍️Motorcycle enthusiast
sal

Post by sal »

Hi DJ Moonbat,

We Make injected molded knives in all countries with whom we work.

sal