Spyderco Face Mask (now bandana, hat and patch)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
VWTattoo

Re: Spyderco Face Mask (now bandana, hat and patch)

Post by VWTattoo »

Count me in for whatever you make, I wear my Spyderco Hat all the time, but would love a new one to rotate with.
Please keep us up to date!
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Sal and team,

Please consider a run of these with the bug on it, I would pick up at least 2!

https://www.vistaprint.com/masks/all/custom/
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Visor would be cool. I cant be the only one.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Dazen,

Masks are becoming a bit of an issue as to their function. I've recently hear that the visors that re being used are not effective. The plexiglass pieces used for separation are also not effective. Two layer masks are not effective. Three layers minimum. Most masks with three or more layers are effective for not spreading, but only N95 maks re effective for keeping it out.

I'm watching many wearing two layer masks or bandanas that supposedly don't work to stop spreading.

It's getting to where finding a definitive truth is getting harder and harder. Who can you trust to actually know?

sal
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

sal wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:36 pm
Hi Dazen,

Masks are becoming a bit of an issue as to their function. I've recently hear that the visors that re being used are not effective. The plexiglass pieces used for separation are also not effective. Two layer masks are not effective. Three layers minimum. Most masks with three or more layers are effective for not spreading, but only N95 maks re effective for keeping it out.

I'm watching many wearing two layer masks or bandanas that supposedly don't work to stop spreading.

It's getting to where finding a definitive truth is getting harder and harder. Who can you trust to actually know?

sal
Hi Sal,

A sad state we find ourselves in these days not knowing who to trust and questioning the information and guidance put out by the people and organizations trying to protect others and communities. There are two different functions of masks... 1.) to protect the person wearing the mask (i.e., personal protective equipment, or PPE), and 2.) to prevent the person who's wearing the mask from spreading their respiratory droplets (and possibly COVID) to other people.

Healthcare providers wear medical grade masks as PPE to protect themselves when caring for patients. Medical grade surgical masks and N95 masks are what are recommended/used by healthcare professionals.

For the general public, businesses, etc. the recommendations is for non-medical "cloth face coverings" to prevent spread of a person's respiratory droplets to other people. There are both anecdotal reports of cloth face coverings/masks being used and effective for this person (see report of two hair stylists who had COVID-19 and worked for a combined 17 days while infectious, exposing 139 clients, but people wore cloth face coverings, and nobody came down with COVID-19: https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6928e2.htm), and also more experimental evidence looking at the ability of masks made with different layers and different materials to prevent droplet dispersion: https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/6/36/eabd3083 (see figure 3, which is probably most interesting). Two layers are better than one layer... three layers probably better than two layers. There are differences in materials due to filtration efficacy. Most of the non-medical masks for sale to the general public currently (Amazon, Home Depot, big-box stores, etc.) are multiple layers.

Thanks!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Captnvegtble,

With all due respect, I do understand the theories, arguments and recommendations. I'm an information Junky. The two examples you linked are two points of view that you "choose" to believe. There are many opposing points of view as well.

I see people wearing masks with their noses not covered. I see people touching their masks and touching their faces. I see people wearing no masks. I see people with masks getting Covid. It's spiking all over the world and the world followed the "Experts".

My statistics professor said, on my first day of class, that "Statistics don't lie, but statisticians lie like **** and you can prove anything up to and including the guillotine for dandruff control".

Who paid them to publish their report? Who are they working for? If politicians and commentators are offering opposing view, who to trust?. "Science" changing its mind and advice every Tuesday or on which station they are speaking, (in other words, who's paying them?). I may be cynical in my old age, but I'm finding more Persuaders" that truth speakers. Too much "opinion" with no substantiation. I don't trust that they know, though I will admit that we're learning.

So, sorry for the long winded "point of view", but we're not likely to make masks at this time. If I am personally convinced that a particular solution is good, and I will make that decision, then I can consider it.

FYI, when we first designed our "new fashion knives in 1980, (clips, hole, serrations, all stainless, no sheath), every "Expert" in the Industry said our design would fail in the marketplace. Gail and I were confident, so we hocked our house and moved forward. In the end, every knife company in the world followed our lead. Yes, I guess I am a skeptic.

sal
James Y

Post by James Y »

Has ANYone ever made a driver’s cap with a logo on it? Possibly in the back. That’s the type of hat I wear when I’m out and about, except for the floppy sun hat I wear on my walks (I’ll probably get “Bloked” for that). :)

Jim
sal

Post by sal »

Hey Jim,

What are calling a "driver's cap"?

sal
James Y

Post by James Y »

sal wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:14 pm
Hey Jim,

What are calling a "driver's cap"?

sal

Sal,

I can’t post pics, but I guess people also call it a flat cap. I see plenty of guys who wear them. Though TBH, I’ve never seen one with a logo, or whether a logo would look funny on one. I could only picture a simple logo on the back.

Jim
sal

Post by sal »

Can somebody send me a link or a pic as to what a "driver's cap" is? I always wear a baseball cap or a military cap when I drive with a curved brim. I drive into the sun to go to work and into the sun when I drive home.

Do you mean one of those caps that has a short brim and the top of the front of the cap snaps to the brim?

sal
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

sal

Post by sal »

Thanx SpyderGrill,

That's what I was thinking of. My wife has a picture of me with the same hat with a Lotus pin on it. I was a Lotus (car) Junky for a long time.

sal
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

Your welcome, and a big thumbs up about the "Experts"
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

sal wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:38 pm

So, sorry for the long winded "point of view", but we're not likely to make masks at this time. If I am personally convinced that a particular solution is good, and I will make that decision, then I can consider it.
Dude! I have NOT been following this thread because I don't care, and I can't say what compelled me to click on it tonight. But despite my ambivalence, I'll chime in and tell you that I totally respect your position, I respect it more than if you had made a different decision. I'll leave it at that.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Thanks. I should’ve just done that. D’oh!

Jim
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

sal wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:36 pm
Hi Dazen,

sal

Sal, thank you for your reply. I agree with you 100%, but it’s just that down here in Texas, and probably many other places, masks are mandatory everywhere. It doesn’t mater what kind of mask, I could wear an eye patch over my mouth, just as long as you have you mouth covered. I don’t know when all this will all stop, and since there is no end in sight why not wear a mask I like.

Dane
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
James Y

Post by James Y »

Sorry, slightly OT, but I still have my old red Spyderco T-shirt somewhere that has an image of the SE SS Police model. I loved that shirt, but due to the prominent “scary” knife image, it probably wouldn’t go over too well nowadays.

Jim
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

James Y wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:47 am
Sorry, slightly OT, but I still have my old red Spyderco T-shirt somewhere that has an image of the SE SS Police model. I loved that shirt, but due to the prominent “scary” knife image, it probably wouldn’t go over too well nowadays.

Jim
I know what you're really saying here and I totally agree. It's hard to wear such a highly coveted t shirt in public. Obviously a mob would form and the shirt would be ripped to shreds so everyone could have a piece of such a legendary item. Or worse still you may spill something on it ruining it for eternity. Spyderco just needs to keep releasing shirts to please the masses so we can walk around safely in our spyderco apparel.
James Y

Post by James Y »

VashHash wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:34 am
James Y wrote:

Jim
I know what you're really saying here and I totally agree. It's hard to wear such a highly coveted t shirt in public. Obviously a mob would form and the shirt would be ripped to shreds so everyone could have a piece of such a legendary item. Or worse still you may spill something on it ruining it for eternity. Spyderco just needs to keep releasing shirts to please the masses so we can walk around safely in our spyderco apparel.

Yes, that too! :)

Being a vintage Spyderco shirt, I won’t wear it anymore, since continual wearing and washings will only further deteriorate it.

Jim
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

James Y wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:21 am
VashHash wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:34 am
James Y wrote:

Jim

Yes, that too! :)

Being a vintage Spyderco shirt, I won’t wear it anymore, since continual wearing and washings will only further deteriorate it.

Jim
A lot of times I'll buy something and by the time I've gotten my use out of it I can't find it again. Well with ebay I can but I don't wanna pay the cost most of the time.