Spyderco Face Mask (now bandana, hat and patch)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Deacon

Re: Spyderco Face Mask

Post by The Deacon »

sal wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 7:21 pm
I think it's time for a patch and a hat.

So share your thoughts.

sal

Definitely would be in for one or more Spyderco morale patches, as I have several things I could put one on. Simple :spyder: design, with or without the Spyderco name, would be an obvious choice. "Bugged out" bread truck would be another.

As for hats, a new baseball style cap would be great, as would another military style cap and another beanie. However, for purely selfish reasons, what I'd like to see the most is a Spyderco knitted jeep cap as that's what I wear darn near every day in colder weather.

EDITED TO ADD: Two other items that might sell are web belts and suspenders. Web belts are a "one size fits most" item as they usually are over 50" long and can be cut to size. Believe The Suspender Factory has made custom designs for other companies in the past, might be checking wit them if Newsom ever lets CA get back to work.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
sal

Re: Spyderco Face Mask (now bandana, hat and patch)

Post by sal »

Hi Julia,

Could you please explain on hat sizes for women? I didn't know they were different?

Hey Paul,

What's a "knitted Jeep cap"?

Lately, I've been wearing a baseball cap wit a leather strap that slides in a clamp to adjust size, It's been working well for me. I personally found that elastic straps are always putting pressure on my head which gives me a headache. I also need to adjust for wind or needing a haircut.

sal
archangel

Post by archangel »

sal wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 12:33 pm
About 10-15 years ago, Gail, Eric and I were thinking to make decorator masks because we felt that sometime in the future, more people will follow the Japanese in wearing a mask when one was sick.

sal

The future is NOW! Do it, Sal!

I have a strong feeling that we will be stuck with wearing masks for a loooooong time. By the time the governments will say we don't have to wear them, many people will have adapted to them. A good portion will continue to wear them on the bus/metro/train. So I can imagine branded face masks are no business for just a few weeks or months. *I'd* wear a cool :spyder: mask, no second thought!
Last edited by archangel on Thu May 14, 2020 9:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

sal wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 9:06 am
Hi Julia,

Could you please explain on hat sizes for women? I didn't know they were different?

Hey Paul,

Lately, I've been wearing a baseball cap wit a leather strap that slides in a clamp to adjust size, It's been working well for me. I personally found that elastic straps are always putting pressure on my head which gives me a headache. I also need to adjust for wind or needing a haircut.

sal
Only some companies make women-specific baseball caps, but basically they're just smaller in circumference, the brims aren't as wide, and the profiles/crowns aren't as tall or are pliable rather than stiff. But as long as they aren't too tall and stiff in the front panel, and there's an adjustable back strap, men's hats work for me. Here's a women's one that I have, which fits really well:

https://www.patagonia.com/product/women ... 38293.html
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

I'm in for a new hat & patch... and whatever happened to those high quality zip up Spyderco Hoodies?!?!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I think we are going to see some people, like the elderly, wearing masks in perpetuity. Things are different now.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I like patches better than stickers and I love baseball caps.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Julia,

Thanx. I don't care for "Billboard" hats. I prefer low profile.

I'm currently wearing a subtle green baseball style hat with a dark red "Vigilant" embroidered on the front. leather strap with adjustable clamp, 3" brim. I have them custom made for me. US flag on the back I think it's a good time to be vigilant.

Hey Toxophilus,

We still sourcing the Spyderco hoodies sweatshirts..

sal
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

sal wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 9:06 am
Hey Paul,

sal

I agree, the best baseball caps and caps like the gray Spyderco military style cap are the ones with leather or cloth strap and a clamp or buckle that allows infinite adjustment. Second best are the ones with cloth straps and velcro which are also infinitely adjustable. Third would be the plastic "holes & studs" type, and worst are the elastic ones that give both of us headaches.

As for jeep caps...

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The jeep cap, sometimes referred to as jeep hat,[1] originally the US Army issued M1941 wool knit cap is a knit cap with a short visor made mostly from knitted yarn, originally wool, but now typically acrylic. Also sometimes referred to as a "skull cap" due to its popularity with skateboarders (although the term "skull cap" is also used for a variety of completely different caps), or a "Radar cap" due to the cap being made famous by the character Radar O'Reilly from the hit US TV sitcom M*A*S*H.

So, sort of like a cuffed beanie with a visor added...

Paul
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Oh, that's neat.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

If it’s any kind of an adjustable hat, sadly I’m out. If you take your adjustable hat or snap back and put it on the biggest/last size that is what fits my head, and it looks goofy as ****.

Make a nice patch and I can put it any hat I want!

Or you can make shopping bag with a Spyderco logo and I can just put that over my head and I won’t need a hat or a mask :D
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Dazen wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 10:58 am
If it’s any kind of an adjustable hat, sadly I’m out. If you take your adjustable hat or snap back and put it on the biggest/last size that is what fits my head, and it looks goofy as ****.

Or you can make shopping bag with a Spyderco logo and I can just put that over my head and I won’t need a hat or a mask :D
Spyderco Bag 02.jpg
Paul
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

2 eyeholes and it's official!!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

The Deacon wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 11:52 am
Dazen wrote:

Spyderco Bag 02.jpg
Epic! I’m dying!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

How about the patches the same as the current stickers. I'd have something for my Spyderco bag.

Image I don't wear a cap often but wear a hat with a brim more often in these sun safe times.
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

The Deacon wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 4:59 am
sal wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 7:21 pm
I think it's time for a patch and a hat.

So share your thoughts.

sal

Definitely would be in for one or more Spyderco morale patches, as I have several things I could put one on. Simple :spyder: design, with or without the Spyderco name, would be an obvious choice. "Bugged out" bread truck would be another.

As for hats, a new baseball style cap would be great, as would another military style cap and another beanie. However, for purely selfish reasons, what I'd like to see the most is a Spyderco knitted jeep cap as that's what I wear darn near every day in colder weather.

EDITED TO ADD: Two other items that might sell are web belts and suspenders. Web belts are a "one size fits most" item as they usually are over 50" long and can be cut to size. Believe The Suspender Factory has made custom designs for other companies in the past, might be checking wit them if Newsom ever lets CA get back to work.
I think I would try a knitted jeep cap so long as it wasn't green. Add a Spyderco logo and I'm all set. Now web belts and suspenders, I think you have won a prize for all the good ideas in one post here. Not so sure on the suspenders but a belt is a winner for me.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Are the coffee cups still a go?
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I never thought of Paul The Deacon as a sk8er boy .... that’s the hat they wear, isn’t it?

Why be dull? Let’s go with a fez!

I watched the PBS documentary on the 1918 USA Spanish Influenza epidemic. They said trying to stop virus with a fabric face mask is like trying to catch dust with chicken wire.

Having said that, it is starting to be a matter of social acceptability, so I dug out my old black and red Spyderco bandana today, as well...
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Mini2white wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 1:25 pm
Add a Spyderco logo and I'm all set.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Dazen wrote:

Same. I wouldn't mind a snap back but it would need to somehow be an XL snap back that gets around this problem. I also agree on the patch...just make a nice patch and I'll put it on whatever hat I find that fits and several other things.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David