Mule Team Picture/Appreciation Thread!

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
fixall

Mule Team Picture/Appreciation Thread!

Post by fixall »

Hello to everyone on the Spyderco Forums, I hope you are all doing well today! With the Spyderco Mule Team set to return soon, I thought now would be a nice time to start a Mule Team picture/appreciation thread to bide us over until the SPY27 Mule Team is released. I'd love to see any and all Mule Team knives you have! I know some of you have some absolutely breathtaking specimens.

Here are two on the opposite ends of the spectrum. :)

bbturbodad

Re: Mule Team Picture/Appreciation Thread!

Post by bbturbodad »

Old pic and nothing fancy but I'll play...
-Turbo
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

fixall wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 3:33 pm
I'd love to see any and all Mule Team knives you have! I know some of you have some absolutely breathtaking specimens.
As much as I'd like to join in the game, I've never built a Mule. I've been pondering the SPY27 and trying to come up with a solution that requires minimal work. The "kits" that I've found online don't seem to provide the precise fit that I'd be happy with. Yours look gorgeous. Please tell me I can just click a box and end up with that kind of fit. I have a sneaking suspicion that you put in a little more effort to end up with lovely knives. Care to share with us what you've done?
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I'd love to seem someone compare the flat Halpern scales with the 3d-contoured ones.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
fixall

Post by fixall »

bbturbodad wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 5:39 pm
PMA11 and a dang good sharpening job... Looks pretty fancy to me. :)

RustyIron wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 6:26 pm
fixall wrote:
I'd love to see any and all Mule Team knives you have! I know some of you have some absolutely breathtaking specimens.
As much as I'd like to join in the game, I've never built a Mule. I've been pondering the SPY27 and trying to come up with a solution that requires minimal work. The "kits" that I've found online don't seem to provide the precise fit that I'd be happy with. Yours look gorgeous. Please tell me I can just click a box and end up with that kind of fit. I have a sneaking suspicion that you put in a little more effort to end up with lovely knives. Care to share with us what you've done?
I think with a little bit of sanding and some epoxy, you might be able to get a pretty good fit with the Halpern kits available from Spyderco. Personally, I've been practicing so that I can make my own handle for the upcoming SPY27 Mule and I'm not finding it nearly as difficult or overwhelming as I was expecting. The most intimidating part has just been getting started.

The K390 and bone Mule was just recently purchased from a member on BladeForums. I believe he made the handle himself. The PD1 and double black Micarta handle was done by Brian Ehst of Haw Creek Blades. It needs a little bit of finishing work, but it feels great in the hand which is the important part.

You'd be amazed at how cheaply you can get a handle made if you want to go that route. Another $20 - $30 more than a set of Halpern scales can get you a pretty nice custom job and help support a small business. :)
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

fixall wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 7:04 pm
bbturbodad wrote:

RustyIron wrote:
fixall wrote:
I think with a little bit of sanding and some epoxy, you might be able to get a pretty good fit with the Halpern kits available from Spyderco. Personally, I've been practicing so that I can make my own handle for the upcoming SPY27 Mule and I'm not finding it nearly as difficult or overwhelming as I was expecting. The most intimidating part has just been getting started.

The K390 and bone Mule was just recently purchased from a member on BladeForums. I believe he made the handle himself. The PD1 and double black Micarta handle was done by Brian Ehst of Haw Creek Blades. It needs a little bit of finishing work, but it feels great in the hand which is the important part.

You'd be amazed at how cheaply you can get a handle made if you want to go that route. Another $20 - $30 more than a set of Halpern scales can get you a pretty nice custom job and help support a small business. :)
No kidding! I know Brian Ehst, he lives right in our area. He gets us to laser cut his knife blanks. One time we did some laser engraving on them too. If you ever owned one of his knives chances are I was the one who cut them out. :D Do you live in MO?
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
fixall

Post by fixall »

The Meat man wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 8:23 pm
fixall wrote:
bbturbodad wrote:

RustyIron wrote:
fixall wrote:

No kidding! I know Brian Ehst, he lives right in our area. He gets us to laser cut his knife blanks. One time we did some laser engraving on them too. If you ever owned one of his knives chances are I was the one who cut them out. :D Do you live in MO?
What a small world! I'm actually in Washington state. I came across Brian's work over on BladeForums and had him do some steel and handle work on a John Landi knife I had and he did such great work for such a reasonable price, I commissioned a second project with the Mule. Really cool guy. I'm actually thinking of picking up one of his fillet knives which I imagine you cut. :)
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

fixall wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 8:59 pm
The Meat man wrote:
fixall wrote:
bbturbodad wrote:

RustyIron wrote:

What a small world! I'm actually in Washington state. I came across Brian's work over on BladeForums and had him do some steel and handle work on a John Landi knife I had and he did such great work for such a reasonable price, I commissioned a second project with the Mule. Really cool guy. I'm actually thinking of picking up one of his fillet knives which I imagine you cut. :)
I'm sure I did. AEB-L right? We've done a lot of fillet knives and kitchen knives for him lately, not so much the thicker fixed blades out of CPM 154.

I still haven't seen his shop although last time I talked to him I said something about stopping in sometime to see his work.
In addition to knife making, he's actually the pastor of the church my brother attends. Small world indeed, especially with the Internet! :)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Here's a family photo my stable. Only a few non-users.

Hopefully get to grab a couple of the Spy27's and tryout some different handle materials. Terotuff will definitely end up on one and if I'm lucky one will go on a shelf :)
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 8:13 am

Hopefully get to grab a couple of the Spy27's and tryout some different handle materials. Terotuff will definitely end up on one and if I'm lucky one will go on a shelf :)
Your scales are all amazing, Larry! What's the wood one at the bottom left? BEAUTIFUL!

Edit: is it wood??

Edit #2: I just saw that Fireside is experimenting with a checkered pattern on terotuf scales - it looks awesome!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

JuPaul wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 8:21 am
Edit: is it wood??

Edit #2: I just saw that Fireside is experimenting with a checkered pattern on terotuf scales - it looks awesome!
I did that one for my son it's Raffir stabilized spalted beech. You've sold me on the terotuf and I'd love to see cool patterns as well. Right now I have my eye on the plain grey\gray terofuff, but will probably try the seafoam on the SPY27 since it's similar to the "cobalt" themed run.

I got a bad habit of wanting to try all the flavors though and that gets $$

Thank you for the compliments!
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
fixall

Post by fixall »

The Meat man wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 9:13 pm
fixall wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 8:59 pm
The Meat man wrote:
fixall wrote:

I'm sure I did. AEB-L right? We've done a lot of fillet knives and kitchen knives for him lately, not so much the thicker fixed blades out of CPM 154.

I still haven't seen his shop although last time I talked to him I said something about stopping in sometime to see his work.
In addition to knife making, he's actually the pastor of the church my brother attends. Small world indeed, especially with the Internet! :)

Yep, those would be the ones! Great looking knives. Maybe when you check out Brian's shop you can find some nice material and have him whip you up some scales! He had some pretty nice wood on hand last I talked to him. :)

legOFwhat? wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 8:13 am

Now that's what I'm talking about! Beautiful knives. That Raffir noble on the very bottom is striking! Do you have a favorite that stands out because of the steel or handle?

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 9:39 am
I love seeing a well used (loved) knife! Deer or elk? I've never given it a go with a Mule, but it seems like the wide, thin blade would work pretty well for skinning.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

fixall wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 12:31 pm
Now that's what I'm talking about! Beautiful knives. That Raffir noble on the very bottom is striking! Do you have a favorite that stands out because of the steel or handle?
Thank you! This PMA11 has become my most used and my general go to, the canvas micarta is just so good at everything and the steel stays sharp forever. Using G-10 as a liner gives it a nice heft to go with that sure grip of micarta.

-Larry
MNOSD #0049
fixall

Post by fixall »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 12:48 pm
fixall wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 12:31 pm
Thank you! This PMA11 has become my most used and my general go to, the canvas micarta is just so good at everything and the steel stays sharp forever. Using G-10 as a liner gives it a nice heft to go with that sure grip of micarta.

looks great and very usable. I really like the way the screws are done. Are the scales removable or epoxied down?

Every since Larrin came out with his edge retention testing, PMA11/10V has shot to the very top of my list when it comes to knife steels to try out. Heck, at even a low hardness (for 10V that is) of 60RC, 10V is about 50% tougher than Elmax, S30V, or M390 while having about 30% more edge retention. That is nuts!
Burton Knut

Post by Burton Knut »

Who’s making all these fancy scales? I’d be interested in some contoured micarta with liners or even just some G10 liners to stack under my Halpern scales. I don’t need show piece fancy, but more hand filling and variety of materials would be cool.

ETA: Terotuf wouldn’t hurt my feelings either!
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

fixall wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 1:04 pm
I really like the way the screws are done. Are the scales removable or epoxied down?

Every since Larrin came out with his edge retention testing, PMA11/10V has shot to the very top of my list when it comes to knife steels to try out. Heck, at even a low hardness (for 10V that is) of 60RC, 10V is about 50% tougher than Elmax, S30V, or M390 while having about 30% more edge retention. That is nuts!
I've only pinned a few the rest get screw and barrel so they can be maintained. I rotate, sometimes daily, around 5 different mules just to get a feel and maybe see where I can improve. I have a graveyard of failures and mistakes but I've learned from each.
-Larry
MNOSD #0049
fixall

Post by fixall »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 1:56 pm
fixall wrote:
I really like the way the screws are done. Are the scales removable or epoxied down?

I've only pinned a few the rest get screw and barrel so they can be maintained. I rotate, sometimes daily, around 5 different mules just to get a feel and maybe see where I can improve. I have a graveyard of failures and mistakes but I've learned from each.
I gotta admit, I'm a little jealous, lol. I'm discovered the Mule Team knives right before they were discontinued so I'm playing catch-up. :)

Do you mind if I ask which screws and barrels you used? I really like the size and look of those and may try going that way myself.
autoxer

Post by autoxer »

fixall wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 2:08 pm
legOFwhat? wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 1:56 pm
fixall wrote:

I gotta admit, I'm a little jealous, lol. I'm discovered the Mule Team knives right before they were discontinued so I'm playing catch-up. :)

Do you mind if I ask which screws and barrels you used? I really like the size and look of those and may try going that way myself.

I am in the same boat and would also like to know which screws and barrels you used, if you don't mind sharing!
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Keep it up! There was a great thread like this once, but it was ruined when the Photobucket disaster shanghaied all of the images.

I have a number of mule blades stashed nearby and working them into knives -- well, it is a project I might actually find time for now.

First thing though is to get this project bandsaw of mine running. That isn't absolutely essential, but is part of my "plan".

And yes, my PM A11 mule is just amazing -- but don't let it get wet and stay wet. I had screw on scales on mine and capillary action was (unbeknownst to me) wicking water up next to the shank and rusting it. The working part of the blade is fine and all this will get brushed off and hidden in the epoxied on handle I will make some fine day.