Manix 2 in Maxamet: What I think about it so far

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Meat man

Manix 2 in Maxamet: What I think about it so far

Post by The Meat man »

I've been eyeing this model for awhile now.

Mostly, I want it for the steel. I have the Native 5 in Maxamet and like it, but I want a bit more blade. Also, I like the looks of the CBBL and would like to give it a try. For this reason, I think I'd prefer the Manix 2 over the PM2.

The only downside is, the Manix still doesn't offer a lot of cutting edge (less than 3"). For all you Manix fans out there, do you find the relatively short cutting edge:handle ratio limiting in any way? I generally prefer longer blades. Maybe the Manix blade "feels" longer in use than it is on paper? Or not?

I also welcome any thoughts and comments about your experiences with the Maxamet steel performance.

Thanks!
Last edited by The Meat man on Sat May 23, 2020 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
VooDooChild

Re: Manix 2 in Maxamet: Talk me into it (or out of it)

Post by VooDooChild »

I really like mine.

And yes the manix blade is big and feels bigger than just the blade length measurement would make you think.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I think you already know my love affair for the Manix! I find it the perfect size for being a hard use knife, as well as not feeling like you're carrying a pocket sword. I also like the CBBL over every other lock I've tried, I find it very easy and comfortable to use and I don't even have the biggest/manliest hands either haha!

No experience with Maxamet though. One of the few I haven't got my hands on yet.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

This was me two weeks ago! Last week I picked one up used at a hefty discount, mostly because I wanted to try the steel. I was going to go Native, but I already handled that with the Rex45 and I don't think I need two Natives. I've only carried it for a few days now, but here are my thoughts for what they're worth.
  • The Manix ergonomics are very specific. In most uses, the second finger guard sits right where my middle finger would like to sit. This causes me to pick between two somewhat uncomfortable grip positions. I would much prefer this knife without the second finger guard.
  • I wish the final hump (rear finger guard") at the pommel were taken away as well. If both of these changes were made, the handle could even be shortened a bit. As-is, I am at the same time stretched and scrunched while trying to use this knife.
  • I found the excess jimping built into the handle to be uncomfortable, so sanded them down. Better, but the overall shape still leaves something to be desired.
  • The CBBL is cool, but it's not nearly as natural to me as either a backlock or a compression lock. The closest cousin I've used is an Benchmade Axis lock, but the CBBL takes quite a bit more force to operate. Maybe this could be fixed with an upgraded cage, ball, or spring, but as-is it's not as comfortable for me as other options. It does offer a great lockup and strong detent.
  • The knife is very light weight for it's size, a product of the fact that it's lintless FRCP and has a nice thin blade. That's one of the key features that led me to wanting to try this knife.
  • The blade shape is pretty nice, and I've never used a leaf blade so large.
  • I definitely feel like it's "enough knife" to tackle anything I'm going to do in a given day.
  • The wire clip is pretty nice, offering "just enough" retention. The knife sits very deep in the pocket while still being pretty easy to grab.
Even with the big discount by buying used, I think that for the money I would be happier with a Maxamet Para 2 or Para 3. Those models "spark joy" for me in a way this one hasn't yet. I'm going to keep it and use it for some time as an exercise, to see if it grows on me. Since a lot of my critiques focus on ergonomics, it may be helpful to know that I wear L or XL gloves in most brands.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I also wear large gloves as well but I really like the ergos.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

VooDooChild wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 1:59 pm
I also wear large gloves as well but I really like the ergos.
Same here, was just wearing my Large size Hyflex gloves in the warehouse before reporting back to this thread haha. Wild how personal preferences with ergos is so wide spread with many knives, when people have the same size hands! Really makes the ergonomics part of the knife differ for each individual.

-Rick
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

kennethsime wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 1:19 pm
This was me two weeks ago! Last week I picked one up used at a hefty discount, mostly because I wanted to try the steel. I was going to go Native, but I already handled that with the Rex45 and I don't think I need two Natives. I've only carried it for a few days now, but here are my thoughts for what they're worth.
  • The Manix ergonomics are very specific. In most uses, the second finger guard sits right where my middle finger would like to sit. This causes me to pick between two somewhat uncomfortable grip positions. I would much prefer this knife without the second finger guard.
  • I wish the final hump (rear finger guard") at the pommel were taken away as well. If both of these changes were made, the handle could even be shortened a bit. As-is, I am at the same time stretched and scrunched while trying to use this knife.
  • I found the excess jimping built into the handle to be uncomfortable, so sanded them down. Better, but the overall shape still leaves something to be desired.
  • The CBBL is cool, but it's not nearly as natural to me as either a backlock or a compression lock. The closest cousin I've used is an Benchmade Axis lock, but the CBBL takes quite a bit more force to operate. Maybe this could be fixed with an upgraded cage, ball, or spring, but as-is it's not as comfortable for me as other options. It does offer a great lockup and strong detent.
  • The knife is very light weight for it's size, a product of the fact that it's lintless FRCP and has a nice thin blade. That's one of the key features that led me to wanting to try this knife.
  • The blade shape is pretty nice, and I've never used a leaf blade so large.
  • I definitely feel like it's "enough knife" to tackle anything I'm going to do in a given day.
  • The wire clip is pretty nice, offering "just enough" retention. The knife sits very deep in the pocket while still being pretty easy to grab.
Even with the big discount by buying used, I think that for the money I would be happier with a Maxamet Para 2 or Para 3. Those models "spark joy" for me in a way this one hasn't yet. I'm going to keep it and use it for some time as an exercise, to see if it grows on me. Since a lot of my critiques focus on ergonomics, it may be helpful to know that I wear L or XL gloves in most brands.
My first Manix was also a LW model. I do remember the lock being a bit more difficult to use on that model than in any of the 5 G10 models I have now. I've read a few people on here with those same experiences as well. I agree, the jimping is a bit excessive. If I didn't have to wear gloves when using a knife at work, I could see that being an issue after some prolonged use. Maybe if a G10 model comes along in a steel or Ranger Green scales ;) , give that a try and see if that tickles your fancy a bit better. Especially with the lock.

-Rick
JKOLLER

Post by JKOLLER »

I wanted to try maxamet but i was holding out for a pm2. I didn’t want the manix because it only came in the lw version and i didn't want that! Finally i got tired of trying to snag a pm2, and i went ahead and picked up a manix2 lw maxamet. All i can say is i don't know why i waited so long! Its lite so it disappears in my pocket, i really like the wire clip and with my large to extra large glove hands the ergonomics are spot on for me like they so often are with The Glessers designs! I highly recommend it, its alot of cutting power in a lite package!!!

Joe
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Meat Man,

I had a Manix 2 LW (CTS BD1) for quite some time, so I can talk about the model, but not about Maxamet.

- I have L to XL hands, and the Manix ergos were perfect for me. On the actual handle even better than on my beloved Stretch 1 (choked up I slightly prefer the Stretch 1)
- The linerless FRCP feels VERY sturdy and solid structurally, even almost unbelievably so when you consider the low weight. I used mine really for everything and pretty hard, no problems whatsoever
- The CBBL for me is the second best lock, close behind the backlock. I found it pretty easy to operate, even with just one finger (instead of two). And there are several ways to operate it (close it one handed), people seem to always talk just about the compression lock like "fingers out of the blade path - swing the blade to close".
- But: YES, the one slight downside of the Manix to me is indeed its rather short actual edge. Of course that does not matter if you never cut stuff with larger diameters (food, but not only), but I personally missed the longer edges of Endura and even Stretch 1 in my daily use (and the Manix blade / edge actually could be a bit longer, there is space in the handle for it)
But again, as a worknife in lets say a warehouse it is just perfect I guess!

If they made a serrated Manix LW I´d get one in a heartbeat.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Don't do it. Save your money. Look for one in CTS 204P instead, or even better CPM 20CV.

I am a great fan of the Manix, but for Maxamet, I like a smaller blade, like the Native 5 LW.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

The Meat man wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 11:55 am
For all you Manix fans out there, do you find the relatively short cutting edge:handle ratio limiting in any way?
I think all folders are a compromise in one way or another. would I like a longer blade? Yes. Do I want something bigger in my pocket? No. When I got my first Manix 2, I wasn't a fan of the 50/50 choil that came at the expense of usable edge length. I really like the ergonomics, whether is choked up on the choil, or further back on the handle for "far away" work. So ergonomically, it fits my 10.5 hands.

The CBBL is why I first tried the Manix 2. I was looking for a new and improved Benchmade Axis lock. They're different... but the same. I like the ergonomics of the Axis better. Nevertheless, I carry the CBBL because I like the overall package better.

The Meat man wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 11:55 am
I also welcome any thoughts and comments about your experiences with the Maxamet steel performance.
Maxamet has been a learning experience for me. It still is. Since I'm still figuring it out, I might change my opinion, but the following is what I think today. I'm now carrying the Manix 2 LW Maxamet every day at work. I don't carry it every day because it's my FAVORITE steel; I carry it because it's interesting and I'm having fun with it. The first thing it taught me was to not be a hamfisted sharpener. Treat it rough and you'll just get a ragged edge.

The next thing I learned that just because it's a so-called super steel doesn't mean I can go around hacking through everything that looks like it needs to be hacked. The edge will become damaged just like any other steel. With a lesser steel, the edge quickly becomes deformed or worn. The Maxamet, though wears slower and maintains its shape. What I've found is microscopic chipping. The edge is still extremely sharp, but like tiny invisible serrations. So instead of getting dull quickly, the material is still sharp in a different sort of way. I touch up my knives frequently, so I don't know how long until the blade becomes difficult to use.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I like the Manix 2, haven't been able to try that particular steel. I started with a couple of them in G10 and decided that they made good work knives. They are heavier than the PM2. Then I got the LW version and I like it too but it felt too light for a work knife. But I'm starting to think that the LW version would make a good work knife too.
Manix 2 LW Maxamet is on the short list of knives that I want. They rarely pop up used.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 2:11 pm
My first Manix was also a LW model. I do remember the lock being a bit more difficult to use on that model than in any of the 5 G10 models I have now. I've read a few people on here with those same experiences as well. I agree, the jimping is a bit excessive. If I didn't have to wear gloves when using a knife at work, I could see that being an issue after some prolonged use. Maybe if a G10 model comes along in a steel or Ranger Green scales ;) , give that a try and see if that tickles your fancy a bit better. Especially with the lock.
That's a really important note about the G-10 vs. LW. My Para 3 LW is similarly not as smooth as my G-10 models, but then again it's much less expensive (and thinner and lighter weight). I should have guessed the Manix LW would have a similar trade-off. Also, I think it's a fair concession that the extra jimping is great for glove wearers.

For what it's worth, I actually did try to dye my LW something close to Ranger Green, but the FRCP didn't take the dye at all. :D

I'm going to order the synthetic version and try again. I do like the Manix blade shape quite a bit. If a G-10 Model pops out at me and I feel like I can modify the handle to suit I will.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Thanks everyone! It's funny how the same knife can feel totally different to people who have similar hand sizes. Or for that matter, that the same knife can feel great to both small and XL hands (mine are XL.)

I have handled the Manix 2 before and the ergos felt fine, although of course handling one in a store is not the same as using one day to day. I think they would fit my hand alright. The bigger concern is that I tend to prefer a more neutral handle that doesn't force a particular grip and the Manix is anything but neutral.

I do wear gloves all day and in fact, that's one reason I might actually lean towards a LW model. Handling steel all day long makes my gloves absolutely filthy and FRN/FRCP is easier to clean than peel-ply G10, I've found. Gloved use also means that the jimping shouldn't be an issue either.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 12:57 pm
I think you already know my love affair for the Manix! I find it the perfect size for being a hard use knife, as well as not feeling like you're carrying a pocket sword. I also like the CBBL over every other lock I've tried, I find it very easy and comfortable to use and I don't even have the biggest/manliest hands either haha!

No experience with Maxamet though. One of the few I haven't got my hands on yet.
Yep I knew you would probably have some good things to say about the Manix. ;)

Do you prefer the CBBL over the Compression Lock, and if so why?
- Connor

The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 2:50 pm
Meat Man,

I had a Manix 2 LW (CTS BD1) for quite some time, so I can talk about the model, but not about Maxamet.

- I have L to XL hands, and the Manix ergos were perfect for me. On the actual handle even better than on my beloved Stretch 1 (choked up I slightly prefer the Stretch 1)
- The linerless FRCP feels VERY sturdy and solid structurally, even almost unbelievably so when you consider the low weight. I used mine really for everything and pretty hard, no problems whatsoever
- The CBBL for me is the second best lock, close behind the backlock. I found it pretty easy to operate, even with just one finger (instead of two). And there are several ways to operate it (close it one handed), people seem to always talk just about the compression lock like "fingers out of the blade path - swing the blade to close".
- But: YES, the one slight downside of the Manix to me is indeed its rather short actual edge. Of course that does not matter if you never cut stuff with larger diameters (food, but not only), but I personally missed the longer edges of Endura and even Stretch 1 in my daily use (and the Manix blade / edge actually could be a bit longer, there is space in the handle for it)
But again, as a worknife in lets say a warehouse it is just perfect I guess!

If they made a serrated Manix LW I´d get one in a heartbeat.
Thanks for the input Wartstein! With my choil knives, I tend to automatically hold it "choked up" as it seems weird to hold the knife so far back from the cutting edge. The exception being, my Police 4 and maybe the Military. Too bad there isn't a Maxamet Military, we wouldn't be having this discussion. :rolleyes: :D
- Connor

The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 3:09 pm
Don't do it. Save your money. Look for one in CTS 204P instead, or even better CPM 20CV.

I am a great fan of the Manix, but for Maxamet, I like a smaller blade, like the Native 5 LW.
Eh, I'm interested in the Manix mostly because it's available in Maxamet. Not really interested in those other steels (at the moment anyway.)

Why do you prefer Maxamet in the smaller Native blade? I own a Maxamet Native and it's nice, but I really like longer blades.
- Connor

SubMicron

Post by SubMicron »

Tucson Tom wrote:

CTS-204P and CPM-20CV are the same steel but simply made by different companies. M390 is also the same chemical composition, but again made by a different company. The net performance result of these three steels, across good production knife companies, is approximately the same.

CTS-204P, CPM-20CV, and M390 have a fraction of the performance as Maxamet. In fact, through cardboard 1 Maxamet blade will have about the edge retention of three knives, each in the above steels combined, perhaps more.

I've literally done controlled tests of the steels myself through cardboard.

I have a Manix G10 M390 DLC and I'd absolutely rather have a Manix 2 LW in Maxamet. Combined with my CPM-4V Manix G10, I'd be pretty happy.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

The Meat man wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 8:04 pm
Do you prefer the CBBL over the Compression Lock, and if so why?
CBBL for me by a large margin.

- Ambidextrous
- Close bias
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

SubMicron wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 9:41 pm
Tucson Tom wrote:

CTS-204P and CPM-20CV are the same steel but simply made by different companies. M390 is also the same chemical composition, but again made by a different company. The net performance result of these three steels, across good production knife companies, is approximately the same.

CTS-204P, CPM-20CV, and M390 have a fraction of the performance as Maxamet. In fact, through cardboard 1 Maxamet blade will have about the edge retention of three knives, each in the above steels combined, perhaps more.

I've literally done controlled tests of the steels myself through cardboard.

I have a Manix G10 M390 DLC and I'd absolutely rather have a Manix 2 LW in Maxamet. Combined with my CPM-4V Manix G10, I'd be pretty happy.
I love M390/20cv/204p (and I have the M390 Manix) but I would never give up the Maxamet for M390.

My EDC at this point (pretty much my perfect knife) is the Manix in 4v, but I'll never give up my Maxamet LW. For long term edge holding nothing in the line up comes close to Maxamet (that includes K390 and 4v, both of which I use regularly). The only other knife I have that's in the same league is a Rex 121 fixed blade.